follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #1611
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Take the undertray off, and look for any rub or wear marks on it. If you do have something, it doesn't have quite enough space from the turbo kit at that point. It may not be touching normally, but is close enough that when the motor is under load and torqued to one side it touches. The reason it may only happen under light load is because, under heavy load, it's pushed against the tray and doesn't rattle.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #1612
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Does anybody know where the little passage goes that's right bellow the cam where the cam plate goes? I was wondering because I'm afraid I might have spilled a little bit of silicone there when I was resealing it at one point.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #1613
bryan767

Drives: 13' AVO Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
Take the undertray off, and look for any rub or wear marks on it. If you do have something, it doesn't have quite enough space from the turbo kit at that point. It may not be touching normally, but is close enough that when the motor is under load and torqued to one side it touches. The reason it may only happen under light load is because, under heavy load, it's pushed against the tray and doesn't rattle.
I ended up taking the bumper off, wasn't too difficult and allowed a better vantage. I found a pretty noticeable wear mark where the driver side crash beam was rubbing the charge piping. I cut some extra hose and wedged it between the two, highly unlikely it'd come off since they are sandwiched pretty well. I also found that the intake box was slightly touching the hard piping so I moved that all forward and to the passanger side, and repositioned the angle of the neck at the tbolt.

Haven't had a chance to test it but after searching everything from the foglights to the windshield wiper reservoir I feel fairly confident I found the source of noise.

EDIT: well the noise is still present. Almost sounds like a pulley grinding, as it changes pitch with RPM. I know my PS pump has wiggles a lot when it's turning, maybe the bearing went up.

Last edited by bryan767; 09-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.
bryan767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:49 AM   #1614
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan767 View Post
I ended up taking the bumper off, wasn't too difficult and allowed a better vantage. I found a pretty noticeable wear mark where the driver side crash beam was rubbing the charge piping. I cut some extra hose and wedged it between the two, highly unlikely it'd come off since they are sandwiched pretty well. I also found that the intake box was slightly touching the hard piping so I moved that all forward and to the passanger side, and repositioned the angle of the neck at the tbolt.

Haven't had a chance to test it but after searching everything from the foglights to the windshield wiper reservoir I feel fairly confident I found the source of noise.

EDIT: well the noise is still present. Almost sounds like a pulley grinding, as it changes pitch with RPM. I know my PS pump has wiggles a lot when it's turning, maybe the bearing went up.
I had rattles/noises in four places since I installed my kit:
1. Heat shield that comes with kit.
2. Overpipe hitting the crossmember (check for marks)
3. Charge pipe hitting the pully bolts
4. Underbody tray vibration (take it off completely and see if the noise is still there)

I too can't stand any rattles in my car.

Good luck!
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skorov For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (09-04-2015), bryan767 (09-05-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 AM   #1615
Astroboy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post
4. Underbody tray vibration (take it off completely and see if the noise is still there)

Good luck!

I had a few but I managed to fix most of them and now only get the usual exhaust rattle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #1616
Astroboy

Garage
I have a question about the avo base tune. Does the tune limit the rpms depending on oil temp or coolant temp? I remember a couple of times while getting in my car after it's been sitting for a long time, I would bring the rpms up pretty high while driving only to have the engine feel like it's hitting a rev limiter. It would literally feel like hitting rev limiter at around 4k rpm in first gear. It's a harsh feeling, harsh like hitting a wall. This only happened a few times in the mornings. And it only happens when step on it. I'm not having any problems with it, just wondering if it's normal due to the base tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #1617
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Yeah, I wouldn't drive like that.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #1618
bryan767

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post

Good luck!

Well checked all of those spots mentioned and it wasn't the issue. I did find a SS braided hose touching the frame near the driver side of the trans, wrapped it in some extra hose cut in half long ways and I believe I have finally sorted my annoying rattle!!

After checking everything again this weekend I spotted a good deal of dryed coolant coming from the turbo coolant feed line. I found both ends of that hose had turned into rock and were cracked. After spending literally 4 1/2 hours of trying to get the hose off (essentially had to chip away at it with a flat head) I finally had the entire hose replaced.
If you plan on replacing this line (throttle body to turbo coolant feed) you'll need some 5/16th high temp heater house. My local NAPA didn't have 5/16 so I went with 1/2 which is a bit larger then needed. I found that the turbo feed fit perfectly but the throttle body feed was really small. Smaller then 5/16. I still used the hose but used two wide worm clamps to install - will keep an eye on it.
Another tip is to buy the protect-a-boot (spark plug boots) sleeves. All autoparts stores will carry this, doesn't have to be DEI brand. Put one sleeve on the hose after connecting the turbo feed and push it all the way down. This will protect that hose from high radiant temp from the turbo, and protect the hose from rubbing against the oil feed and body.

Oh and be ready to catch about 1/4th bucket worth of coolant after popping the bottom line.

After test driving, no more leaks and no more rattles!(knock on wood)

Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #1619
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Well checked all of those spots mentioned and it wasn't the issue. I did find a SS braided hose touching the frame near the driver side of the trans, wrapped it in some extra hose cut in half long ways and I believe I have finally sorted my annoying rattle!!

After checking everything again this weekend I spotted a good deal of dryed coolant coming from the turbo coolant feed line. I found both ends of that hose had turned into rock and were cracked. After spending literally 4 1/2 hours of trying to get the hose off (essentially had to chip away at it with a flat head) I finally had the entire hose replaced.
If you plan on replacing this line (throttle body to turbo coolant feed) you'll need some 5/16th high temp heater house. My local NAPA didn't have 5/16 so I went with 1/2 which is a bit larger then needed. I found that the turbo feed fit perfectly but the throttle body feed was really small. Smaller then 5/16. I still used the hose but used two wide worm clamps to install - will keep an eye on it.
Another tip is to buy the protect-a-boot (spark plug boots) sleeves. All autoparts stores will carry this, doesn't have to be DEI brand. Put one sleeve on the hose after connecting the turbo feed and push it all the way down. This will protect that hose from high radiant temp from the turbo, and protect the hose from rubbing against the oil feed and body.

Oh and be ready to catch about 1/4th bucket worth of coolant after popping the bottom line.

After test driving, no more leaks and no more rattles!(knock on wood)

After having to deal with that same issue, I installed fittings onto the coolant lines themselves to be able to disconnect them if I ever wanted to remove the turbo. It's saved me a ton of time over the past year.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #1620
bryan767

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
After having to deal with that same issue, I installed fittings onto the coolant lines themselves to be able to disconnect them if I ever wanted to remove the turbo. It's saved me a ton of time over the past year.
What kind of fittings, -An slip on or something? I thought about doing the same thing lol
Old 09-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #1621
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
What kind of fittings, -An slip on or something? I thought about doing the same thing lol
Yeah AN Fittings would make it much easier. You can also use a barbed union fitting with fuel injector style clips

Old 09-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #1622
Astroboy

Garage
Anybody running lower springs with the kit? I was thinking of buying trd or those yellow something springs to go along with my car.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #1623
bryan767

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Anybody running lower springs with the kit? I was thinking of buying trd or those yellow something springs to go along with my car.

I used to be on lowering springs, now I'm on coils. I prefer the ability to raise it back up during winter months.

The Following User Says Thank You to bryan767 For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #1624
Astroboy

Garage
Quote:
I used to be on lowering springs, now I'm on coils. I prefer the ability to raise it back up during winter months.

Any problems with the springs? Which were you running?

Tags
avo, avoturboworld