follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 AM   #1
joeyf1986

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
IRP shifter rattle

I installed an IRP shifter and have an obnoxious amount of rattle.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive it around the see where the rattle could be coming from, but does anyone else have any leads or know of where exactly I should be looking, before I have to tear the whole thing apart?

I was thinking at first it was coming from the linkage, where the washer is. But it seems too loud for that.

While driving tonight I would press down on the right side of the shifter boot leather and the rattle would immediately go away.

Pressing in on the lockout does not help, nor does adding pressure to the shaft in any direction.

So I'm assuming it is either something inside of the shifter, or the washer?

Ideas?
joeyf1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyf1986 View Post
I installed an IRP shifter and have an obnoxious amount of rattle.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive it around the see where the rattle could be coming from, but does anyone else have any leads or know of where exactly I should be looking, before I have to tear the whole thing apart?

I was thinking at first it was coming from the linkage, where the washer is. But it seems too loud for that.

While driving tonight I would press down on the right side of the shifter boot leather and the rattle would immediately go away.

Pressing in on the lockout does not help, nor does adding pressure to the shaft in any direction.

So I'm assuming it is either something inside of the shifter, or the washer?

Ideas?

Make sure you tightened everything down, even then it's a known issue.

Read this thread, especially round the last few posts:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...111626&page=10

There is a few other posts discussing this.

You should also try and use the search function.

Hope that helps.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
johl

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Over here in Australia one of the guys in our car club ran a group buy and we got 40 shifters sent over. Last week IRP sent over a kit to fix the rattles for each of us. I won't be installing my rattle fix kit until next weekend but it consisted of a few nuts, a delrin spacer and also a firm rubber gasket which gets installed between the shifter and gearbox.

I'll try to remember to update here with how I go but if I forget just pm me after next week