follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Higher Being

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Grey FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
looking to invest in a good cordless drill

hey guys looking for input on what drill i should invest in. I dont need a really high end one but id like input on a good hobbyist level drill for general use.

any input on vet diyers is welcome.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
malubawla
poor man's evora

Drives: Turbod BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trust me buy once and be done with it. Dewalt 18v is my personal choice, had it now for 4 years and treated like crap, but still works like new.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
My dad loves dewalt. Only thing hes used to powertool anything.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I have a Porter Cable I've used since they first came available with Lithium batteries. Whichever brand you choose, make sure it uses Lithium batteries.

The secret to maximizing life of the batteries is to store and charge them at room temperature. Above room temp is ok but don't store them in a cold garage.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
my vote is for Ridgid. Lifetime warranty on hand tools and batteries.

Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, Porter Cable, they're all great brands and tools but one thing is a guarantee, the batteries will fail and no brand (that I know of) other than Ridgid guarantees them for life.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Even if the other drills have better specs always buy Ridgid. Nothing beats that lifetime warranty, which I have used and never had an issue. You buy a tool and it is fixed for the lifetime you own it...how do you compete with that? The other's can't.
I've bought Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita everything and as those tools slowly go I have switched out to a full line of Ridgid. Cordless drill, cordless impact wrench, 7" circular saw, 4" angle grinder, 7" angle grinder, shop vac, orbital sander, wet saw, jig saw, router, that I can think of off the top of my head that I have...all Ridgid and all covered forever.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Even if the other drills have better specs always buy Ridgid. .
Is this based on a deeply held belief that Ridgid is superior, or have you actually tested the Ridgid up against all other models and have evidence based on facts?

Because to believe that Ridgid is superior without having facts would be considered an opinion.

My opinion is that the Makita 18V Lithium is the best drill (screwgun) that I have ever had:

http://blogs.toolbarn.com/2006/11/ma...white-vs-blue/
It holds a charge for months.

But my sample set is very limited as it is essentially the only one I have ever owned - it has yet to fail me.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
I have 12 dewalt cordless tools and 8 chargers. Love them all.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Impureclient
Banned

Quote:
Is this based on a deeply held belief that Ridgid is superior
It's based on using power tools, including Makita, every day on the job for the last 16 years I have been in business. When power tools fail, they need to be fixed. It is silly all the tools I have been through and I think they all would have filled a truck bed. So much money thrown away. You either pay for it out of your pocket or have it covered by a warranty. I like tools that are faster, last longer, stronger etc, but I like not having to fix them with my dollar better. Ridgid tools are not the best tools but they do have the best warranty that trumps any small differences on the specs on them compared to other tools. Like I said, I have been through countless other tools and since I switched out to Ridgid, I no longer am buying new tools. It is hard to pass up better tools but if you are in it for the long run, you'll buy the better warrantied tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
stugray (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Impureclient
Banned

Every tool fails no matter what you pay for it and how great it is if you are actually using it. I can't even recommend buying a non ridgid tool for simple home use. The fact is any tool will fail eventually and need repairs at some point. If you barely use a tool and baby it, then maybe buying a cheap $20 Harbor Freight tool is the way to go. The difference of a superior/expensive tool over Ridgid is so small that you will never notice it but you will notice the difference when the warranty period ends on the other tool. Besides Ridgid tools are usually priced competitively with top brands so other than if you have a disdain for the color orange, they are the best bet.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #11
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Every tool fails no matter what you pay for it and how great it is if you are actually using it. I can't even recommend buying a non ridgid tool for simple home use. The fact is any tool will fail eventually and need repairs at some point. If you barely use a tool and baby it, then maybe buying a cheap $20 Harbor Freight tool is the way to go. The difference of a superior/expensive tool over Ridgid is so small that you will never notice it but you will notice the difference when the warranty period ends on the other tool. Besides Ridgid tools are usually priced competitively with top brands so other than if you have a disdain for the color orange, they are the best bet.
I used to buy all Ryobi power tools from home depot, just because they were cheap, relatively durable, and you could always find a replacement within miles (nearest HD).

I had a 4-1/2" angle grinder that I had had for ~2 years but hadnt even worn through the first wheel when the switch quit working.
I took it in to HD, and said I just want the switch and I'll replace it myself.
They (Ryobi-corporate) absolutely refused to just provide a replacement switch - even though the exact model was currently being sold on the shelves.

Therefore, they do not have a replacement option for a simple switch on a currently sold model.
That pissed me off enough that after they agreed to replace the grinder for free, I immediately turned that new unit back in for credit and bought TWO new Dewalt grinders.

Ryobi will never see a penny from me again.

So also look for a tool vendor that provides easy replacement parts.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #12
Impureclient
Banned

I love those Dewalt angle grinders. I still have two of those small 13a ones that keep going. In fact the Delwalt angle grinders are the only tool that I keep on buying that aren't Ridgid because I like the small size/weight and power they have. I think I've been through maybe 6 or 7 of those but it's like a kid and their old blankey, I just like them.
That Ridgid lifetime warranty is just nuts though. They got themselves into it though and they can't back out of the warranty. I guess enough people don't use the tools enough to have them repaired so Ridgid makes out in the end. My Ridgid spade handle mud mixer drill is so covered in cement/acrylic that when that finally goes, and it has been going for a while, they will have to use a jack hammer to get inside the guts of it but I'm not worried as it is covered!
Old 12-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Lithium batteries. Brushless motors.

In my opinion, everything else is subjective.

Most of them are made in the same factories overseas anyway. I work in the electrical department for a large manufacturing company. I do a lot of parts ordering and repairs to welders, grinders, drills, rivet guns, etc. In my experience, new technology trumps build quality. I work with a crotchety old materials engineer who is always trying to save money by buying older German and American products, but the guys out in the shop just want a lightweight tool with good battery life. And keep in mind that you're likely buying a Chinese product anyway if you're under a certain price point, regardless of the brand. If you've got the money to buy German, American or Swedish or whatever, by all means go for it, but you'll likely be overtaken by battery technology before you've worn it out.

All that said-I think I bought a Lithium 12v Black&Decker from WallMart for $40. I'm only drilling holes in drywall and running wood screws...
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Is this based on a deeply held belief that Ridgid is superior, or have you actually tested the Ridgid up against all other models and have evidence based on facts?

Because to believe that Ridgid is superior without having facts would be considered an opinion.

My opinion is that the Makita 18V Lithium is the best drill (screwgun) that I have ever had:

http://blogs.toolbarn.com/2006/11/ma...white-vs-blue/
It holds a charge for months.

But my sample set is very limited as it is essentially the only one I have ever owned - it has yet to fail me.
He stated in his post it's because of their lifetime warranty. Not because of superior(however competitive I'm sure) performance

I've only ever used Ryobi and been very happy but I don't use my tools enough to really wear them out so take that for what it's worth
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote