follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #1247
BunnyRZed

Drives: BRZ Limited [37J]
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Well said. This forum seems to have a number of non- FRS/BRZ owners who are experts on the car. If the chirping was normal why would there be a TSB on the fuel pump to correct the problem?
+1

Good point, I don't think Subaru would release a TSB if it wasn't a problem.
BunnyRZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #1248
enigmaaron

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S MT, '04 Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
So tell me why my car didn't sound like the way it does now when I picked it up from the dealership. Noises don't magically appear.

The ticking/clicking is normal operation. The chirping is not.
My truck makes a shit load of sounds it didn't when I bought it. Just saying.
enigmaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #1249
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Please do some research before spreading this misinformation.

The chirping is part of normal operation. Toyota has said this. Subaru has said this. The only who has ever said otherwise are people in this thread.

Go listen to just about any diesel motor with a direct injection system, or even my Mazdaspeed 3 with a very similar system. They all make this sound. It's a part of normal operation. I've been working on direct injected cars for 4 years now. They make strange noises.
I have done plenty of research, and there are TSBs and other's research to back me up. Stop trolling. And if you own a BRZ, why not have it right there in your info window on the left there?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #1250
Fenrir

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I have done plenty of research, and there are TSBs and other's research to back me up. Stop trolling. And if you own a BRZ, why not have it right there in your info window on the left there?
Care to provide any of the "other's research" that proves it's the issue is detrimental and harms the engine?

EDIT: Also, the TSB's that I've seen for this issue state that the reason for issuance is customer complaint.

Also, I love how someone trying to spread the facts about the situation is considered the troll. I love the internet.

For the record, I'm not telling anyone not to go get their pumps replaced or utilize the TSB. Just do it for the actual reason, and be man (or woman) enough to admit it's because you don't like the sound. Stop telling people it's a harmful or damaged component.

I don't have BRZ listed in my forum profile, because I figured it would be pretty obvious to anyone who bothered to know to figure out that I own one (I have a post in the Member's Car Journals section, for crimminy's sake.). I actually own 3 cars, but the forum only lets me put one in my profile.
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #1251
alrashwa

Drives: '12 370Z Monterey Blue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Personally "I don't like the noise" is the only reason I've ever complained. Thing starts and runs everytime, but that noise is an embarrassment. Maybe some people can put up with it and more power to you.

As for me, I expect more out of a $25,000+ car. I hear people saying, "Oh well this isn't a BMW, what did you expect?"

Frankly, I expect a car that doesn't make more noise than a 1980's Plymouth with a bad belt, which is what mine sounds like (I've had the misfortune of owning one of those too). Glad yours isn't having any problems.
alrashwa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alrashwa For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #1252
Fenrir

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrashwa View Post
Personally "I don't like the noise" is the only reason I've ever complained. Thing starts and runs everytime, but that noise is an embarrassment. Maybe some people can put up with it and more power to you.

As for me, I expect more out of a $25,000+ car. I hear people saying, "Oh well this isn't a BMW, what did you expect?"

Frankly, I expect a car that doesn't make more noise than a 1980's Plymouth with a bad belt, which is what mine sounds like (I've had the misfortune of owning one of those too). Glad yours isn't having any problems.
Bingo. I'm glad someone gets it.

I never once claim the noise is acceptable, just that it's not harmful to the car. My car has it, and it does annoy me a bit, but I don't care enough to have my car down for a few days because of it. I get some people DO care enough about it, but they need to stop inventing reasons to get it repaired and spreading misinformation about the issue when there's no need for it. The car isn't broken, it doesn't NEED to be fixed, they just WANT it fixed.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #1253
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Until there is a concrete fix, I'll be keeping my occasional crickets around. Probably won't be able to hear them soon with a header and full exhaust.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #1254
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaaron View Post
My truck makes a shit load of sounds it didn't when I bought it. Just saying.
That's means you were using it right.

Quote:
Care to provide any of the "other's research" that proves it's the issue is detrimental and harms the engine?

EDIT: Also, the TSB's that I've seen for this issue state that the reason for issuance is customer complaint.

Also, I love how someone trying to spread the facts about the situation is considered the troll. I love the internet.

For the record, I'm not telling anyone not to go get their pumps replaced or utilize the TSB. Just do it for the actual reason, and be man (or woman) enough to admit it's because you don't like the sound. Stop telling people it's a harmful or damaged component.

I don't have BRZ listed in my forum profile, because I figured it would be pretty obvious to anyone who bothered to know to figure out that I own one (I have a post in the Member's Car Journals section, for crimminy's sake.). I actually own 3 cars, but the forum only lets me put one in my profile.
I don't think anyone said it was harmful though. It's incredibly annoying though. I agree with you here.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #1255
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Isn't the internet a great place? For the record, I would only get the HPFP replaced because of the noise. I know it isn't broken, and hasnt shown to do any harm to the engine at this point. Also, why I am waiting until springtime to get it replaced, so that they hopefully have corrected the issue that is causing the chirp. I have also noticed the "ticking" from the injectors, so I can tell the difference. That out of the way...

The sources I cite are from the previous ~50 (edit: almost 60 now) pages in this thread, as well as in the associated TSB threads that have been posted. The chirping is coming from the pump, as I am sure you have also discovered.

My initial issue was with your post where you were saying the chirping is part of the "normal operation" of the car. Assuming you have read around the site, you would know our counterparts outside of the US and Canada are not experiencing the crickets. Ticking yes, chirping no. I don't have the time or energy to go dig out the posts where this has been stated, but I am sure someone here will back me up. In fact, this has lead to the hypothesis that this is caused by the formulation of gasoline we have in this part of the world (specifically, ethanol concentration). Sadly, nobody seems to be able to get any proof of this outside of this educated guess. So we're stuck for now.

If this were part of the DI system and "normal operation" of the car after numerous heat cycles, as you say, wouldn't they be getting the crickets in England, South Africa, Austrailia, Japan, etc? To my knowledge, this is a distinctly US/Canadian issue. Annoyance, yes. Problem, no. I think we can agree on at least that much.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #1256
Fenrir

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Isn't the internet a great place? For the record, I would only get the HPFP replaced because of the noise. I know it isn't broken, and hasnt shown to do any harm to the engine at this point. Also, why I am waiting until springtime to get it replaced, so that they hopefully have corrected the issue that is causing the chirp. I have also noticed the "ticking" from the injectors, so I can tell the difference. That out of the way...

The sources I cite are from the previous ~50 (edit: almost 60 now) pages in this thread, as well as in the associated TSB threads that have been posted. The chirping is coming from the pump, as I am sure you have also discovered.

My initial issue was with your post where you were saying the chirping is part of the "normal operation" of the car. Assuming you have read around the site, you would know our counterparts outside of the US and Canada are not experiencing the crickets. Ticking yes, chirping no. I don't have the time or energy to go dig out the posts where this has been stated, but I am sure someone here will back me up. In fact, this has lead to the hypothesis that this is caused by the formulation of gasoline we have in this part of the world (specifically, ethanol concentration). Sadly, nobody seems to be able to get any proof of this outside of this educated guess. So we're stuck for now.

If this were part of the DI system and "normal operation" of the car after numerous heat cycles, as you say, wouldn't they be getting the crickets in England, South Africa, Austrailia, Japan, etc? To my knowledge, this is a distinctly US/Canadian issue. Annoyance, yes. Problem, no. I think we can agree on at least that much.
Correct. It happens under high-heat and low-pressure circumstances inside the HPF system, which is why the noise goes away under load, and is really only audible at idle. And yes, it's likely the fuel as much as anything else. But to that point, many other DI systems in the US have the same noise. I have no doubt that is probably the underlying cause, but there's still 0 evidence of any harm, just a noise. Pretty much all statements from Toyota have been along the lines of, "Yeah, we know. So?" which is why it took so long for a TSB to go into place. Those TSB's can be found here for reference.

The Subaru one actually explains the issue, and highlights the fact that this is not broken, has no effect on the engine, and is simply a noise. Also, I suspect that this forum is responsible for the use of the word "cricket" in there, so bravo everyone. Subaru wasn't planning on doing anything about it until complaints reached a certain percentage of vehicles sold (straight from the mouth of the Suabru engineer I spoke to while working to get my bumper fitment issues resolved). Honestly, asking them to swap out a $1500 part because you don't like the noise is akin to asking them to replace the seats because you don't like the color. That's just my opinion.

(p.s. Also, I mean no offense to anyone here, but a forum post that says "THIS SHIT IS BROKEN IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED" is hardly credible.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenrir For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #1257
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If the fuel pump was designed with the "Cricket" noise as part of its "normal" function then I would agree with your assessment. I would suggest this is not the case. My concern, as well as many others who have experienced this noise, is that it could be an indication of a more serious problem in the future, particularly after the warranty has expired. I would be rather disappointed to have to pay $1500 for a replacement fuel pump if it was initially defective. The fact that Scion has issued a TSB demonstrates their concern as well.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #1258
BunnyRZed

Drives: BRZ Limited [37J]
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Bottom line is that Subaru/Scion needs to address this problem. Regardless if it's going to harm your engine or not. Since it's a new engine we have yet to know if it's going to be a problem in the future. It wasn't designed to have the "Cricket" noise therefore it needs to be fixed...
BunnyRZed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BunnyRZed For This Useful Post:
russv (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #1259
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Bingo. I'm glad someone gets it.

I never once claim the noise is acceptable, just that it's not harmful to the car. My car has it, and it does annoy me a bit, but I don't care enough to have my car down for a few days because of it. I get some people DO care enough about it, but they need to stop inventing reasons to get it repaired and spreading misinformation about the issue when there's no need for it. The car isn't broken, it doesn't NEED to be fixed, they just WANT it fixed.
I dislike the noise. It's low priority for me since it has to be ordered (wait time) and you have to let techs who more or less know nothing about the car (unlike 10 years of Impreza) take apart a complex system. It bothers me and when the local dealerships have more experience doing these I'll complain about my crickets. If it was harmful, I have a warranty and hope things go wrong before it's up.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #1260
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
just a little over 300+ miles on mine first tank on mobil gas.. had to fill up on chevron 2 gallons only just to make it back to work and fill her up on mobil again.. no crickets... just got my car 9 days ago will keep my ears open on crickets

still new to this.. but if you have to go to dealer and get it checked out and get it replaced to they offer a free rental car or something ? my FRS is my only car i daily driving car..

thanks
marky is offline   Reply With Quote