follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
prest1ge

Drives: VW, 2013 subaru brz limited swp 6mt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
notchy/gritty transmission. every gear grinding

It's been 2 weeks and 920 miles since I picked up my BRZ 6MT Limited. My experience has been good so far...great handling, revvy engine, attention whore (yeah yeah u guys have heard it all 100x). As much as I want to be a die-hard lover of this car, I must admit that the gearbox has been bugging me quite a bit. The first time something stuck out at me was within the first 50 miles when the shifter failed to engage 1st gear. However, allowing the shifter to idle in neutral for a few seconds fixed the issue. This problem happened quiet often (at least once a day since then). Then around a week ago, I noticed an increase in roughness of my gearbox. I figured it might've been a symptom of the transmission fluid warming up to temp. The big issue began yesterday when my gearbox grinded every time I shifted into second or third. The problem has worsened exponentially today. Every single gear grinds 9 out of 10 entries. The gearbox produces a horrible sound and the whole car jerks every time it happens. Additionally, when the gearbox doesn't grind, it would instead produce an unusual effect that feels like the shifter is being sucked in by magnets as it approaches a gear. I'm pretty disappointed and worried about the car. Unfortunately, I'm out of town until next Monday, so no service until then. Anyone else notice a similar issue?
prest1ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wtf? That doesn't sound right at all

My 6MT is fine real smooth. Only issue is shifting into 1st and from 1-2 when the car hasn't warmed up at all.

I would get the dealer to look at it considering we already have heard of a dealer not putting any tranny fluid in a car before selling it.
Guff (07-04-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Neekowahhhh
Enthusiast

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
What he said^^^ that would be my first concern if I had that problem
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
You might want to verify there is transmission fluid in the transmission: there has been an FR-S that didn't have fluid in the transmission from the factory...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10450
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
prest1ge

Drives: VW, 2013 subaru brz limited swp 6mt
Forgetting to put transmission fluid into the car? WTF? If that's the reason for my messed up gearbox, I wonder if it's somehow related to my low gas mileage as well (23.9-24.2 on 3 fillups). I have a very light foot and know how to achieve averages well above EPA ratings. I consistently get 28-29mpg averages in my gf's IS250 (v6, much heavier car), so my BRZ averages has raised some concerns...
prest1ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If it is easily reproduceable just bring it to the service department.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
If the car jerks, to me that would signal that the clutch is not fully disengaging. I still think you should let the dealership deal with it, but I figure any information you can give them will make their life easier.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Also again, not that I recommend doing things yourself when the dealership can take care of it, but doing some research I came across this:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

If it was in fact your clutch not disengaging 100%, that *might* be a fix for it, assuming nothing else is wrong with the hydraulic system.

Let us know what you figure out.
Thanks!
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
s1monn

Drives: FRS asphalt
Garage
how do you check for the fluid in transmission or you'll have to bring it back to the dealership for that??
s1monn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1monn View Post
how do you check for the fluid in transmission or you'll have to bring it back to the dealership for that??
U should know this!!.... AND EVERYONE WHO OWNS A CAR SHOULD!!!!.... Not trying to be a douche but seriously people should know these things like knowing how to fit the spare wheel......

For ANYONE who doesnt know how to check there oil/water/whatever levels they should read there Drivers Manual ASAP....All pre checks are explained in detail in there...

U cant rely on others to wipe ur a$$ for u all the time.....

When u take possession of ur new vehicle u should just give it a quick once over at the dealership, even ask one of the mechanics if u feel a bit unsure of urself..... If this turns out to be a low tranny fluid issue it will be very sad....

I know u expect the dealership/mechanics to have already checked all this as part of there pre checks before handing u the keys and u should, its there job but know ur car!!...
Especially a drivers car like this one..... Just my opinion...

Last edited by FT-86GOD; 07-04-2012 at 09:19 AM.
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86GOD View Post
U should know this!!.... AND EVERYONE WHO OWNS A CAR SHOULD!!!!.... Not trying to be a douche but seriously people should know these things like knowing how to fit the spare wheel......

For ANYONE who doesnt know how to check there oil/water/whatever levels they should read there Drivers Manual ASAP....All pre checks are explained in detail in there...

U cant really on others to wipe ur a$$ for u all the time.....

When u take possession of ur new vehicle u should just give it a quick once over at the dealership, even ask one of the mechanics if u feel a bit unsure of urself..... If this turns out to be a low tranny fluid issue it will be very sad....

I know u expect the dealership/mechanics to have already checked all this as part of there pre checks before handing u the keys and u should, its there job but know ur car!!...
Especially a drivers car like this one..... Just my opinion...
Why do you thing everybody here is a master mechanic like you?
(Sarcasm)
You think the avarage JOE wants to bother checking trans oil to make sure the dealer did not F it up I don't think so ! people by the car to enjoy it not to second guessing!!
Since when do you have to check transmission fluid daily ?
The location of the fill up hole for the trans is not like the engine oil stick ,for a reason!
The trans oil should last the lifetime of the car!
Who would expect a brand new car you just paid 23K plus to come with no trans fluid!?

By the way your post was really helpfull!!
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaba View Post
Sure it should....

And i never mentioned anything about checking car daily.... But i think its important to know the things that are even stated in the drivers manual and check them from time to time..... Im not gonna debate this stuff with u.......
Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
to check the oil you need to raise the car up, remove the undertrays, remove the filler bung on the side of the box and put your finger in to feel the oil level.

There's 2 bungs on the side, lower is the drain, upper is the filler. Detailed on page 66 of the service manual.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prest1ge View Post
The gearbox produces a horrible sound and the whole car jerks every time it happens. Additionally, when the gearbox doesn't grind, it would instead produce an unusual effect that feels like the shifter is being sucked in by magnets as it approaches a gear. I'm pretty disappointed and worried about the car. Unfortunately, I'm out of town until next Monday, so no service until then. Anyone else notice a similar issue?
Don't drive the car any more and get it to a dealer asap. Something is definitely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaba View Post
Uhh, no. Transmission fluid and gear oil breaks down just like engine oil, just as a much slower rate. It should NOT last the life of the car. Your trans fluid/oil should be changed at every 30K service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
to check the oil you need to raise the car up, remove the undertrays, remove the filler bung on the side of the box and put your finger in to feel the oil level.

There's 2 bungs on the side, lower is the drain, upper is the filler. Detailed on page 66 of the service manual.
That's excessive and it pisses me off that manufacturers are doing this more and more on new cars. They say they're doing it because people can't tell the difference between the engine oil dipstick and the transmission dipstick. They much think their customers are all idiots. (Yes, quite a few are, but not all). But it keeps people from easily checking their fluid levels which is just wrong. As above, at least one car has left the factory with no transmission fluid, and this might be the second. Without a simple dipstick, it can't be checked without a lot of work, so it's not done during a PDI where it could be easily discovered.

Forget being empty, do we know that our transmissions were filled to the power level? Maybe they're low? But we can't tell unless we have at least a floor jack and four jackstands and an hour of time.

Drives me batty. I think I'm going to request my dealership spend some warranty time on checking my trans oil level...
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote