follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Drives: FA20Club.com
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FA20CLUB Oil Cooler Kit Liquid/Liquid

FA20Club is pleased to bring the FT86 community the FA20Club liquid to liquid oil cooler kit.

After months of testing on both road race and forced induction vehicles we have come up with a suitable kit for all owners of the BRZ & FR-S. What makes our kit differ from the competition is the ease of installation as well as the ability to run the high CFM OEM fans without compromising your pre-existing components. What this means to you is no more stressing on hot to relocate of modify your turbos intercoler or premounted transmission coolers for those AT owners. This kit is guaranteed to fit Innovate, Vortech, P&L, RevWorks, D3PE, Kraftwerks, AVO, Jackson Racing as well as our kits without issues.

We start off with a Billet machines spacer with bulletted port to help maintain oil pressure unlike the cheap adapters currently available. We then give you the option for either thermostatic or non thermostatic sandwich adapters. Lines are supplied in either stainless steel braided or nylon braided with Petroleum compatible liners.

The epicenter of the kit is the high quality Laminova Oil Cooler assembly. For those not familiar with them a simple Google search will yield tons of information regarding their products that are world famous for heat exchanging in fluid & air charge products. This causes a slight increase in price but lends to the quality we seek with this kit. Our initial testing saw consistent temps in the area of 195-197 degrees with consecutive laps and back to back 500HP dyno passes on our turbocharged vehicle without cool down times. This is the advantage to a fluid cooled system vs air. The system is cooled by the high capacity Aluminum Radiator that flows fluid through the oil cooler assembly making it possible to get your oil temp to match that of your cooler engine coolant temps. What this shows is a level of consistency with the system that will both provide you the owner consistent power delivery as well as protecting your engines exposure to the harsh conditions associated with high oil temps and breakdown because of it.

Last edited by Andy@FA20Club; 01-13-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
So is this an integrated radiator/oil cooler like the Robispec, or is it a separate water cooled oil cooler?

I see what looks like a radiator with lines and takeoff plate in one pic, and what looks like an oil cooler in front of the radiator in the other pic.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
looks awesome! a little pricey but those cores aren't cheap. is it possible to move the core over to the side a bit for those of us with air filters where it is now? it'd probably fit but i'd imagine that thing gets pretty hot, probably better to move it away from the air filter a bit if possible.

also, where does the radiator go? between the stock rad and the intercooler?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
So is this an integrated radiator/oil cooler like the Robispec, or is it a separate water cooled oil cooler?
In a way yes but we offer an external exchange which provides a better disposition and will increase efficiency vs. one that is all integrated.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
looks awesome! a little pricey but those cores aren't cheap. is it possible to move the core over to the side a bit for those of us with air filters where it is now? it'd probably fit but i'd imagine that thing gets pretty hot, probably better to move it away from the air filter a bit if possible.

also, where does the radiator go? between the stock rad and the intercooler?
You do have flexibility on sliding the cooler a bit for mounting purpose.

We chose this setup as it does not require any modification of your current setups. Meaning that the radiator is a direct replacement for your OEM and uses your OEM fans/shroud. This way if your kits fit with your OEM radiator then this kit will work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy@FA20Club For This Useful Post:
Brzzee (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@FA20Club View Post
You do have flexibility on sliding the cooler a bit for mounting purpose.

We chose this setup as it does not require any modification of your current setups. Meaning that the radiator is a direct replacement for your OEM and uses your OEM fans/shroud. This way if your kits fit with your OEM radiator then this kit will work for you.
oh so the radiator provided replaces the stock rad, not supplementing it. that's awesome! i'd guess it's an improvement over the stock unit.

makes the price seem a lot more reasonable
Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
oh so the radiator provided replaces the stock rad, not supplementing it. that's awesome! i'd guess it's an improvement over the stock unit.

makes the price seem a lot more reasonable
Thanks sorry if was not clear but all pieces pictured will be shipped as a new kit.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@FA20Club View Post
Thanks sorry if was not clear but all pieces pictured will be shipped as a new kit.
It's still not clear, to me anyway. Why is the new radiator required? Does it include the inlet/outlet ports to provide the oil cooler? Or is it just marketing as most customers that want the oil cooler, will also want the rad? Not that the marketing option would be bad, I'm just trying understand.

It is a nice looking product, I'm a big fan of the stability and reliability of a liquid to liquid setup. Did you guys do any testing on oil warm up times, stock vs. non-thermostatic vs. thermostatic setup?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
It's still not clear, to me anyway. Why is the new radiator required? Does it include the inlet/outlet ports to provide the oil cooler? Or is it just marketing as most customers that want the oil cooler, will also want the rad? Not that the marketing option would be bad, I'm just trying understand.

It is a nice looking product, I'm a big fan of the stability and reliability of a liquid to liquid setup. Did you guys do any testing on oil warm up times, stock vs. non-thermostatic vs. thermostatic setup?

As I see it its a Mishimoto bigger radiator, with a Laminova type oil cooler. I guess they include an aftermarket radiator since adding a turbo is already taxing the stock cooling system so adding an liquid to liquid oil cooler would be even worse on the stock cooling system.

Edit: The radiator is not just a Mishimoto, its modified to supply the water directly from the endtank. See here:

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 11-26-2013 at 08:45 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (11-26-2013), lbroskee (11-26-2013), sw20kosh (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
As I see it its a Mishimoto bigger radiator, with a Laminova type oil cooler. I guess they include an aftermarket radiator since adding a turbo is already taxing the stock cooling system so adding an liquid to liquid oil cooler would be even worse on the stock cooling system.
Most likely, but I'm not sure if the Mishimoto rad is playing a bigger part then that. I guess I could just ask where the coolant is T'd off from and see what the response is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Dinko (11-26-2013), Sportsguy83 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
^thats the question I would like to know the answer to. I can't tell from the posted pictures, but where is the coolant coming from and going to from the oil cooler? A diagram would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Most likely, but I'm not sure if the Mishimoto rad is playing a bigger part then that. I guess I could just ask where the coolant is T'd off from and see what the response is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
^thats the question I would like to know the answer to. I can't tell from the posted pictures, but where is the coolant coming from and going to from the oil cooler? A diagram would be great.

Thanks
See the edit to my post above, it is not just a Mishimoto rad, its a Mishi rad modified with endtank ports to supply and return the water. This is a really nice cooling option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (11-26-2013), Lawnik (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thank you for clarifying, that definitely increases the uniqueness of this kit.

Does the stock snorkel still fit?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
With such extreme cooling, what are the daily driving numbers.

AKA:
How long before the oil gets up to temp?
Cold weather performance? (Over cooling)

Or is it always going to settle the oil temps at the coolant temp.

Closed Thread

Tags
fa20club, liquid to liquid, oil cooler