follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #155
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i was referring to the macphersons sup front. the point is that the mustang handles well based on how it handles. thats the only way to measure that. you cant say it handles poorly because it has a solid rear or that f1s are slow because they have a 2.4 na motor
Well put, the Domestic bashing-armchair racing going on in here is lovely. Spoken like true car enthusi... wait, never mind.

/high horse :happy0180:
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #156
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
So, I went in and got my deposit back today as well. I've had 2 other good friends on the west coast do the same thing this past week. Hearing constant information that differs from the set of info that came out the day before, seeing the est. price go UP with every new review, and the est. release date get pushed FURTHER BACK with each review has made me say F* it and gotten my money back.

It's a cool car, and it definitely has the potential to be great. There's no arguing there. However, we can all have a price and know how much we're willing to pay for a car. While this car is supposed to come out for like 25-26k now from what so many people are saying, I, as well as many others, feel as though it isn't worth a damn penny more than 23k at most. I was wanting to purchase a car this spring so I can get the basics done and enjoy it over summer, when a lot of events are happening around here, but it keeps getting pushed back further into summer. I was told today that mine wasn't expected to come in until approx. 5 weeks after the first one was expected which was late April and they said that wasn't even official yet.

So, I'll just gladly go back to what I was doing and pick up another S13 to play around with. Possibly get back into a ProAm series as well-but who knows. Like I said, we all have a limit and know what we'd be willing to pay. If price really means nothing and you wanna sit there and say you'd buy the car, even if it was 30k...... Then wow... just wow
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #157
Vasilis

Drives: RX8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unrelated but do you have more pictures of the car in your signature?
Vasilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #158
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
So, I went in and got my deposit back today as well. I've had 2 other good friends on the west coast do the same thing this past week. Hearing constant information that differs from the set of info that came out the day before, seeing the est. price go UP with every new review, and the est. release date get pushed FURTHER BACK with each review has made me say F* it and gotten my money back.

It's a cool car, and it definitely has the potential to be great. There's no arguing there. However, we can all have a price and know how much we're willing to pay for a car. While this car is supposed to come out for like 25-26k now from what so many people are saying, I, as well as many others, feel as though it isn't worth a damn penny more than 23k at most. I was wanting to purchase a car this spring so I can get the basics done and enjoy it over summer, when a lot of events are happening around here, but it keeps getting pushed back further into summer. I was told today that mine wasn't expected to come in until approx. 5 weeks after the first one was expected which was late April and they said that wasn't even official yet.

So, I'll just gladly go back to what I was doing and pick up another S13 to play around with. Possibly get back into a ProAm series as well-but who knows. Like I said, we all have a limit and know what we'd be willing to pay. If price really means nothing and you wanna sit there and say you'd buy the car, even if it was 30k...... Then wow... just wow
You're getting your deposit back based on the rumors you're hearing on here? Seriously? I like gossip on here as much as anyone but I don't take any of it seriously. I will say I think people are kidding themselves if they think it's going to be much under $25K They've got what looks to be a good product and you're going to have to pay for it.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #159
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjbeach View Post
If you are considering a mustang, I would suggest dropping the coin and renting one for a long weekend. While in Miami and the Keys for Christmas I rented a convertible mustang (base model convertible), very nice blue color, black top and interior.

While any convertible is nice to have in Miami during the 80 degree winters; that was the only postive thing I had to say about the car. This was an automatic and it felt about as fast as my V6 Sonata. Step on the gas you hear a lot of engine noise and later the power comes on.

My girlfriend (who doesn't know much about cars) complained about the interior of the car and the low seating position (she is 5'7) of the passenger seat (unable to adjust, I tried), which created poor visability for the passenger.
Had a V6 Mustang coupe at Xmas myself... I thought it was really good, apart from the nasty auto box on it. I would expect the convertible to be much less rigid and have a perceptible drop off in driver's enjoyment vs the coupe. The interior was fine for a car that retails in the low $20s. I can see where visibility might not be the best for someone with the hood scoop.

Thought it handled well, made a good noise and hid it's weight better than some other rentals I have had in the past couple years. No one needs anything faster than that if they don't plan on doing autoX/HPDE/Quarter mile.
Capt Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #160
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post

Love it! You put a deposit down on a car before official order books, dates, prices, specs, etc... are available from the manufacturer and now you are complaining about rumours and interweb rumblings? Rumblings because... well... nothing has been officially released yet so everything is going to be rumours and conjecture.

You've completely jumped the gun on the car, that is yours and others problem. I can only guess you suffer from what is seemingly a pretty common case of the gottahaveitnows. Wow... just wow.
Capt Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #161
MrVito
Grumpy Old Man

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S, 2010 Tundra, 80 626
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
blah blah blah

My point originally was why buy a BRZ/FR-S if all the guy cares about is leather seats and warming his butt? To me, the BRZ/FR-S is about handling and having fun. Why else would they try so hard to get the center of gravity so low and keep the weight down? I don't see them doing this with the Mustang (except maybe the Boss 302 or Roush Mustangs). So I didn't understand how he could go from buying a BRZ/FR-S to a Mustang. Where are his priorities at??

blah blah blah
Did you NOT look at my signature? My vehicles should show that I'm not only interested in straight line performance, and before you decide something else me, no, my 240 is not a "drift car", I build my 240's for balance and grip.

No where did I say that "warming my butt" was my primary concern. The point I was trying to make is, in a year or two after buy a new car, I don't want to have a serious case of the "well I should haves". My original intention was to get the least expensive, lowest, lightest BRZ/FRS I could get, no options, no BS. Then I remembered what it was like the couple of times I've HAD to put my kids in the back seat of my 240 (FRS sized back seat) vs my GTO (don't have it anymore, but similar sized back seat to a Mustang). The GTO was much more practical. I also realized I don't want to spend that much money on a new car that can get roasted by a Camry in a straight line. We can tout the line of this being a "true drivers car" all day long, but I've got a Miata I own outright if that's a huge concern.

The point I'm getting at is for a slightly higher but still similar price I would rather get a more well rounded car, this is supposed to be a DD for me, not just an autocross toy. If you really think that Stock vs Stock (because I do plan on enjoying my warranty for at least 3 years) the FRS/BRZ is going to be able to compete with a GT anywhere other than MPG's and a very tight autocross course, you must be high.

Do I think the BRZ is going to be a fantastic car? Absolutely! I feel however, that in value for my dollar, the cost of modification (down the road of course), as well as the creature comforts for my DAILY DRIVER, the similarly priced GT is better for MY SITUATION in every respect.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #162
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #163
ChrisH

Drives: Car
Boys - it`s just 25.000 Dollar.
Is that really too much for such a car?
In times of a dropping Dollar and a raising Yen, high US debt....

FYI:
In Germany we expect a price tag of about 30.000 Euro. This is 39.500 Dollar....
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #164
Hasjwandje

Drives: Audi A3 2.0 FSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Boys - it`s just 25.000 Dollar.
Is that really too much for such a car?
In times of a dropping Dollar and a raising Yen, high US debt....

FYI:
In Germany we expect a price tag of about 30.000 Euro. This is 39.500 Dollar....
The dutch website of Toyota is saying it will have a starting price of 40.000 euro.. how bout them apples
Hasjwandje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #165
9nintynine

Drives: 88 Toyota Cressida/11 Nissan Juke
same here the waitting with no info and supposely limited stock.. im thinking of getting a 370z or 328i instead.... =/
9nintynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #166
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
You're getting your deposit back based on the rumors you're hearing on here? Seriously? I like gossip on here as much as anyone but I don't take any of it seriously. I will say I think people are kidding themselves if they think it's going to be much under $25K They've got what looks to be a good product and you're going to have to pay for it.

Not rumors, it's what people are reporting between reviews and the people at the dealers. Nobody has a damn clue as to how much or when we get it. They change it every week. I have better things to do then put my life on hold for a car to come out when I don't even know if it's gonna be at the price point I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Love it! You put a deposit down on a car before official order books, dates, prices, specs, etc... are available from the manufacturer and now you are complaining about rumours and interweb rumblings? Rumblings because... well... nothing has been officially released yet so everything is going to be rumours and conjecture.

You've completely jumped the gun on the car, that is yours and others problem. I can only guess you suffer from what is seemingly a pretty common case of the gottahaveitnows. Wow... just wow.
Get it right. I put a deposit down after a lot of info had already been released. Im complaining because reviewers, and the people at scion themselves keep changing shit. "gottahaveitnows" ....really? More like, Idappreciateitifyoumadeupyourfuckingmind. I'd be more likely to wait if they had a date, or AT LEAST an official price. But instead, they're riding the hype.

According to you, my problem, not yours. So leave it at that. I just wanted a fun rwd car to play with some more. Didn't have to be this car and I'm all that bummed about it. It is what it is.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #167
ChrisH

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasjwandje View Post
The dutch website of Toyota is saying it will have a starting price of 40.000 euro.. how bout them apples
Puh, even worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nintynine View Post
same here the waitting with no info and supposely limited stock.. im thinking of getting a 370z or 328i instead.... =/
Sorry, what do you mean saying "no info"?
I can hardly remember, that I ever had for any new car so long before its sales start so much info, so many details, so many independet descriptions, how it feels to drive the car, to push it through corners or in a drift...
What is missing?
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #168
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have no problem in waiting though I am very excited. When I first heard the talks about a Front Boxer Rear Drive TOYOBARU I already knew I'd wait for this car and buy it one day. Now I have a nice new DD, so it is not that I need a car. In any case I would not move on, as the only other new sportscar I'd consider is the new Cayman, but I anyway can't afford it.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote