follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
BlackNBlue
Young Blood

Drives: 04 Wrx, 2014 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Endlink nuts keep getting loose

So 2 weeks ago I installed my coilovers. I had a clunk on my front passenger side and sure enough the bottom endlink nut wasn’t tight enough. So I grabbed a 17 mm wrench and an Allen key because apparently it just keeps spinning. Now I noticed that this nut was starting to strip, so I figured I’ll replace it further down the road. Anyway the problem was solved but 3 days later the clunk comes back and I’m thinking how the hell is this happening.

Should I just go buy a torque wrench and torque that nut to spec and go buy a new nut? Will that likely keep things tight? It’s really
Weird because I only get the clunk sound from that area....
BlackNBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This makes no sense. The tie rod or end link is either stripped or it isn't. Nuts don't just start to strip and then are "solved". If it's started to strip, it's stripped, and you should replace it before it comes off completely while driving and you lose control of your car.

If I had a known faulty tie rod nut AND it was clunking I wouldn't drive it 5 feet. Fix it ASAP before you hurt yourself.

In answer to "how the hell is this happening", you've either over-tightened and stripped it, cross threaded it, or under-tightened it. Each scenario means that the joint may clunk, damaging the taper on either the ball joint or the upright. Unless you have a calibrated elbow, always use a torque wrench for these types of connections. The more you drive with this fault the more likely you are to do permanent damage to the taper, or risk a complete failure.

HTH
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subsonic For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-03-2017), x808drifter (12-04-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
BlackNBlue
Young Blood

Drives: 04 Wrx, 2014 Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
This makes no sense. The tie rod or end link is either stripped or it isn't. Nuts don't just start to strip and then are "solved". If it's started to strip, it's stripped, and you should replace it before it comes off completely while driving and you lose control of your car.

If I had a known faulty tie rod nut AND it was clunking I wouldn't drive it 5 feet. Fix it ASAP before you hurt yourself.

In answer to "how the hell is this happening", you've either over-tightened and stripped it, cross threaded it, or under-tightened it. Each scenario means that the joint may clunk, damaging the taper on either the ball joint or the upright. Unless you have a calibrated elbow, always use a torque wrench for these types of connections. The more you drive with this fault the more likely you are to do permanent damage to the taper, or risk a complete failure.

HTH
To clear up the confusion after I tightened the nut I noticed that the edges are starting to round off. I would also like to add that it was very difficult and time consuming trying to tighten it. After this I went for a drive around the block and the clunk was gone so I figured i had fixed it, but I was wrong.

I actually think I may have under tightened it. So tomorrow I’m definitely going to buy a torque wrench. Can I just go buy a new bottom endlink nut @ a parts store?
BlackNBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Well, can't assume it's a bad bolt. In my experience it's time for a new tie rod. The bolt may not be the problem but the screw hex thingy. That's part of the tie rod. If that's all losey goosey then yeah time for a new one. It should be nice and stiff.

Torque wrench should be already in your tool box, so that's alway there. But I don't think it will help you out in this case.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
+1 to replacing both end link and nuts. Get a fresh start with the right stuff.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #6
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Your loose endlink will cause your car to explode and you will die or at least hurt yourself badly... LMAO

But seriously. Just replace it. Or remove it completely if you think it might become totally disengaged from the lower mount until you get a replacement. I've unhooked endlinks purposely, doing entire sessions on the track and I'm still alive.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
Subsonic

Wait what? I thought he was talking about the steering tie rod. Didn't realise "end link" refers to sway bar in this case, so no issue even if it fails completely. Op still needs a torque wrench though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Subsonic For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Just as a point of reference. As you install stiffer suspension systems, NVH increases and you'll find more things "mysteriously " loose. No more mystery. More NVH, more vibrations and loose nuts, more maintenance required to ensure stuff doesn't fall off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
solidONE

Quote:
Wait what? I thought he was talking about the steering tie rod. Didn't realise "end link" refers to sway bar in this case, so no issue even if it fails completely. Op still needs a torque wrench though.
What do you guys call end links then? "Sway couplers?" lol

Old 12-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #10
Subsonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
What do you guys call end links then? "Sway couplers?" lol
Nah, your'e right, "Sway bar end link" is pretty widely known. Just got my wires crossed assuming he was referring to the steering tie rod.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #11
solidONE

Quote:
Nah, your'e right, "Sway bar end link" is pretty widely known. Just got my wires crossed assuming he was referring to the steering tie rod.
Oh.. I was hoping that wasn't the case.. lol If "Macca's"=McDee's and Straiya=Australia, then it wouldn't be too strange if ya'll called endlinks "toy rawds" (how I imagine auzzie pronunciation of "tie rods" to sound like)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZIJmEZ91g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZIJmEZ91g[/ame]

Last edited by solidONE; 12-06-2017 at 12:30 AM.