follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #15
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I'm running gutted cats and OFT stage 2. It was a big difference from Stage 1 with the cats. It sounds great too with a cherry bomb and Berk dual exit.
I get a lot of compliments on it.

A lot of times when you hear bad things about gutting it's from people who have no experience with it. But it works and it made my car like it has a new engine- huge difference in power but I have yet to dyno it. But My 80-100 MPH time went down by about 1.5 secs and my 0-60 MPH time has lost close to a second too (still on stock tires).

I know the gains aren't the same as the high end headers, but you have the advantage of the stock heat shielding- there is no risk of cooking coils or anything else if you keep the stock heat shields. Also, OEM quality is top notch. No chance of cracked welds.
Those are fair point s. Plus no annoying overpipe rubbing. Im still gonna go with aftermarket uel and run it with e85
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantana frs For This Useful Post:
guybo (03-13-2017), LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #16
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Intakes on these cars to next do nothing. You're better off buying a decent panel filter and saving the money for when you want to buy a header. I ran the OTS OFT stage 1 tune for about 6 months, it did help the torque dip, but the biggest change was going from Stg 1 to Stg 2 with the catless header. EL header seems to be for top end power, UEL for low end torque.

Before you purchase anything, I suggest having a quick read through the guide @steve99 has compiled. It should answer most of your questions .
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81493
Old 03-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #17
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo View Post
I was looking at this thread
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96235
and this is what I had been going off of and it seemed like a good addition. like I said, I'm looking for some way to eliminate it while saving up for a full header back exhaust system.
2 different cars with different mods and over 3400' altitude. I wish I had gotten my car dyno'ed before and after. Once I get everything set with the engine mods (which won't be much more) I'm going to put it on a dyno and see what it puts down, but I'll have no before to compare. All I have are straight line performance stats from my phone using Torque Pro.

I'm still looking for a lace to do a dyno day around here that can actually dyno a boxer 4.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Drives: #0239 FRS 10 series silver ignition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Intakes on these cars to next do nothing. You're better off buying a decent panel filter and saving the money for when you want to buy a header. I ran the OTS OFT stage 1 tune for about 6 months, it did help the torque dip, but the biggest change was going from Stg 1 to Stg 2 with the catless header. EL header seems to be for top end power, UEL for low end torque.

Before you purchase anything, I suggest having a quick read through the guide @steve99 has compiled. It should answer most of your questions .
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81493
alright, that was a great thread! I just don't want to have to cut my cat off and weld on a connecting pipe haha (call me lazy because I don't want to get measurements). I'm gonna get the OFT and run stage 1 on my stock headers still catted and see what improvements I get out of that first and then go from there. If anyone knows of anyone selling an OFT in the Long Beach/ Los Angeles Ca area let me know!
Drop in K&N filter, CX Racing oil cooler, Tomei Expreme UEL headers, Invidia N1 Catback, OFT stage 2, Raceland coilovers, stage one Exedy clutch kit, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS street pads
10 series #0239
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
2 different cars with different mods and over 3400' altitude. I wish I had gotten my car dyno'ed before and after. Once I get everything set with the engine mods (which won't be much more) I'm going to put it on a dyno and see what it puts down, but I'll have no before to compare. All I have are straight line performance stats from my phone using Torque Pro.

I'm still looking for a lace to do a dyno day around here that can actually dyno a boxer 4.
keep me posted on the dyno sheets if you get some dyno time. I would like to see the numbers and where they are most impacted. your car sounds great by the way. I'm running the same set up but without the cherry and just the Berk dual delete
Drop in K&N filter, CX Racing oil cooler, Tomei Expreme UEL headers, Invidia N1 Catback, OFT stage 2, Raceland coilovers, stage one Exedy clutch kit, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS street pads
10 series #0239
The Following User Says Thank You to LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo For This Useful Post:
guybo (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #20
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'll just add one comment, having spent 15k+ in aftermarket parts for this car:

If I had to do it all again, I would not cut any corners. I would not purchase lower end parts in an effort to save money or try to avoid spending the money. In every instance where I went this route, I eventually turned around and spent MORE cash to get things right. You have to pay to play. If you're like most people you'll find that you just end up wanting more in the end -- more power, more comfort, more volume, more performance. Being totally satisfied is challenging, and you'll always have the question of 'What if I could have had more power from a proper setup?' stuck in the back of your head if you don't do the research and learn from others who have gone down that route.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (03-14-2017), Lantana frs (03-14-2017), LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo (03-14-2017), wparsons (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #21
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I'll just add one comment, having spent 15k+ in aftermarket parts for this car:

If I had to do it all again, I would not cut any corners. I would not purchase lower end parts in an effort to save money or try to avoid spending the money. In every instance where I went this route, I eventually turned around and spent MORE cash to get things right. You have to pay to play. If you're like most people you'll find that you just end up wanting more in the end -- more power, more comfort, more volume, more performance. Being totally satisfied is challenging, and you'll always have the question of 'What if I could have had more power from a proper setup?' stuck in the back of your head if you don't do the research and learn from others who have gone down that route.
yea, thats what its starting to sound like. I just sounded like a quick fix to get me to stage 2 with the OFT. it just seemed so reasonable to spend $50 on some stock headers and $50 on a front pipe and run it. but ill probably stick with name brand. thanks
10 series #0239
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #22
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
keep me posted on the dyno sheets if you get some dyno time. I would like to see the numbers and where they are most impacted. your car sounds great by the way. I'm running the same set up but without the cherry and just the Berk dual delete
Yeah I'll post all that once I do. But I'm going to get E tuned so I want to do the dyno after that.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (03-14-2017), LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #23
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
I had a p&l catted header with tune at one time and the difference particularly in the midrange was almost astounding.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantana frs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #24
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post
I had a p&l catted header with tune at one time and the difference particularly in the midrange was almost astounding.
awesome! I'm beyond ecstatic to purchase this OFT now. I just gotta find a reasonable UEL header now hahaha
10 series #0239
Old 03-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #25
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
awesome! I'm beyond ecstatic to purchase this OFT now. I just gotta find a reasonable UEL header now hahaha
Since you're purchasing the OFT, I suggest going on a bit of an adventure. Flash the stage 1 map, pull the headers and knock the cat out, and flash the stage 2 EL map. You may be perfectly happy with it, and contrary to popular belief, if you're happy with how you spent your money, then that's okay!

I'm running stock headers with the cat knocked out, and it's worlds better. The gains aren't huge, but they are everywhere, and mostly where you need them.I had a local with a tactrix cable flash on the OFT Stage 2 EL map, so for me, my cost was my time, and a header stud that was buggered up, so I really feel that it was a huge value for money modification. (Car is dead even with my friends Borla UEL car with the OFT stage 2 map, FWIW.)
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Hades (01-24-2018), LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo (03-14-2017), sroby (09-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #26
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post
That's what I have now, and I feel exactly the same way - really surprised me how much of a difference it made, also picks up quite a bit above 6k too. Just goes to show that you can have your cake (or cat) and eat it too.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
MurderousPandas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I just got done running a gutted header, catless front pipe, and stock catback. Last week. It sounds bad, but there is some performance gain. And it does not smell in the car, even when on e85. Also, only the exit of the exhaust should smell, if it does elsewhere then you have an exuhast leak. I'm now running some cheap UEL headers while i wait for some nice ones.

"Chasing speed with patience"
MurderousPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MurderousPandas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #28
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Since you're purchasing the OFT, I suggest going on a bit of an adventure. Flash the stage 1 map, pull the headers and knock the cat out, and flash the stage 2 EL map. You may be perfectly happy with it, and contrary to popular belief, if you're happy with how you spent your money, then that's okay!

I'm running stock headers with the cat knocked out, and it's worlds better. The gains aren't huge, but they are everywhere, and mostly where you need them.I had a local with a tactrix cable flash on the OFT Stage 2 EL map, so for me, my cost was my time, and a header stud that was buggered up, so I really feel that it was a huge value for money modification. (Car is dead even with my friends Borla UEL car with the OFT stage 2 map, FWIW.)
so you just have the header cat gutted and left the front pipe cat in tact? would the exhaust eat up the front pipe cat or no? but I was planning on running stage 1 until I bought another set of headers so I can keep the factory headers that came with the car in tact. I will definitely be looking more into before and after of the gutted headers and anymore information I should be informed about with the gutted header would be awesome
10 series #0239

Tags
gutted cat, oft, open flash tablet, torque solution