follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 AM   #85
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsWayMorePower View Post

I still like it, though.

I will admit that I'm tempted by the 2016 Camaro now that it's around 3500 pounds, based on a global Alpha platform, and can be had with as many as 440 HP and a manual transmission for a rumored 34k starting price (2.0T 275 HP is rumored to start at 24k and 3.6 liter 336 HP is rumored to start at 27k).

Camaro is new Accord/Camry in my town. (If I have time after work tomorrow, I'll take a pic of the ones I run into on my way to work and....trust me... there'll be like 11 within a 1-2mile radius... no joke!)

More of my Mexican relatives drive them than Camry or Civics. One of em even has 3 parked outside his house! You can argue, "but are they all 2SS, super sport, or whatever the sporty/expensive trim is..." To me they are like Civic type R vs Civic LE vs Civic Vtec with 500hp... still just a Civic.

Quote:

I've driven Hondas that are 20yrs old that never had such issues. You'd think Toyota & Subaru know how to get the basics down this day and age.

I can only imagine what's going to happen in the coming months when the warranty expires...
Ok bro, I looked at my old vehicle service paperwork I've kept for the past 7yrs. Also, added some cars my dad still has service papers on for vehicles he had under his name.

1993 Toyota Celica, owned 2006 till 2008, 216k stock miles, stock clutch and stock interior in 8/10, few cracks in dash, and lots of fade, no problemo. Ugly interior color. Felt cheapo.

1990 Toyota 2WD truck, Owned since 2001 by father, then passed to me in 2010 still own and love, 328k miles, burned clutch because I was dumb, replaced, also replaced battery once, 2 alternators @ 201k and 211k and 1 starter @ 211k because I didnt install them right, I used to drift this in rain and rammed a Civic on a date in 2011 but nothing happened, replaced gearbox bushing once @223k w/ clutch. Replaced key ignition because it was worn out. The key would fall off while driving. Wen't to Mexico 3 times @ 202k, 219k and 228k<X<315k. 2000 mile trip. No problems. Lots of miles because family driven and going to Mexico for lots of funerals. Ugly gray and blue gray interior. Feels cheap.

1985 GTS tofu delivery corolla, 345k miles, ECU shorted somehow when I kicked it.... stock clutch, replace stock radiator @300k, stolen once, stolen twice stripped, stolen 2 more times but just stock hood and tires stolen, traded in for Celica. Interior felt cheap.

Family owned:

1990 Ford thunderbird, no mile data when we got it, but:

1) heater went out around 80k says service paper from Ford dealer.
2) Smog no pass for vacuum leak x2 from local mechanic paperwork
3) transmission went out twice. Would move from D to N.
4) burnt oil lots! We used to carry 2 1/4 bottles everywhere!
5) transmission leak after it was replaced, always added red oil I remember as a kid
6) ignition replaced because it broke? we had 4 diff keys.
7) radio went out somehow
8) gas pump replaced once because it clogged says dad?
9) No Smog pass again. Sold.

...interior felt cheap.

1998 Ford Windstar

1) What wasnt broken with this POS! Turn AC on, it would turn off. I used to race with this on its last few months of its life because I was Speed Racer. Engine head gasket done x2 long before i got it.

Interior felt solid but cheap. Junked 2010?

2001 Corolla S

1) Burnt oil a bit. No issues.

Interior felt sturdy and decent. Made/assembled in Mexico of Japan parts?

1997??? Ford ranger.

We never drove anywhere because it never passed SMOG and never left mechanic. 4ish months it was there. Not sure what we did with it, but prob junked it.

2006 Civic. Owned for 2yrs and shared with my gf.

Just transmission issues. Ugly @ss interior that was tan. Oh and O2 sensor? was replaced twice. Sturdy cheap looking interior. Sold @ 111k to help me in college.

Rest of our cars... no data.

Our Ford's had hilarious amounts of issues. Most having to do with SMOG. Even after I started driving them, the problems kept on popping. Maybe it was me causing them not the car?

All of the cars have cheap looking interior. Driven a 75 celica GT. Cheap sturdy looking interior, a mitsubishi eclipse spyder 1996/1997 which was ok, but had head gasket issues and turbo, a ford maverick and a ford torino. Torino and Maverick were sold at around 150k by father because they a hassle due to carb, wheels getting stolen every other month and engines running rough according to dad.

I think Toyota has always had cheap looking interiors for cars designed for the daily driver. Same as any company...

IMO, if you want quality, you need to add it in. The FR-S imo again, is a car thats modify friendly and purposely designed 'cheap.' Try buying a new Porsche for 23K. Twins are customizable. Same as lots of Hondas. Try customizing a eclipse spyder... I remember that car would freakout with any little change. Tach died driving it in middle of road. Never even hit 200k.

I'm also sure others have different points and opinions on the cars above if they've owned em as well.

Buy private extended warranty if you believe there'll be more issues?

//end rant im too drunk to keep on looking through this old box of tax papers and vehicle repairs. I did find a damn old half eaten box of Butterfingers in here like this:

and a joint...
SC10N (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 AM   #86
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
OP has a point.

I don't post as much as I'd like (work, personal life), and this isn't personal, obviously, but I've owned 5 Toyota products (along with two Mazdas & three Hondas), and this is the lowest quality of any of these that I've yet to own.

I still like it, though.
Because this car is a Subaru not really a Toyota when it comes to actual build quality. Definitely the worst build quality vehicle I've owned other than the 4th Gen Camaro RS I had (which had absolutely horrendous build quality.) Still, I wouldn't want to drive any other vehicle other than my FR-S... I love it that much despite it's Subaru level quality. I've had Toyota and Acura's/Hondas before the FRS and am familiar with Subaru's from my brother who had a '90 legacy and '05 Impreza RS (which just got flooded out this past week from the heavy rains we had...probably totaled.) If you go in with Subaru level expectations for a twin you won't be dissapointed like you would going in with Toyota/Honda level expectations...
Old 05-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #87
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

I still like it, though.

I will admit that I'm tempted by the 2016 Camaro now that it's around 3500 pounds, based on a global Alpha platform, and can be had with as many as 440 HP and a manual transmission for a rumored 34k starting price (2.0T 275 HP is rumored to start at 24k and 3.6 liter 336 HP is rumored to start at 27k).

Camaro is new Accord/Camry in my town. (If I have time after work tomorrow, I'll take a pic of the ones I run into on my way to work and....trust me... there'll be like 11 within a 1-2mile radius... no joke!)

More of my Mexican relatives drive them than Camry or Civics. One of em even has 3 parked outside his house! You can argue, "but are they all 2SS, super sport, or whatever the sporty/expensive trim is..." To me they are like Civic type R vs Civic LE vs Civic Vtec with 500hp... still just a Civic.

Quote:

I've driven Hondas that are 20yrs old that never had such issues. You'd think Toyota & Subaru know how to get the basics down this day and age.

I can only imagine what's going to happen in the coming months when the warranty expires...
Ok bro, I looked at my old vehicle service paperwork I've kept for the past 7yrs. Also, added some cars my dad still has service papers on for vehicles he had under his name.

1993 Toyota Celica, owned 2006 till 2008, 216k stock miles, stock clutch and stock interior in 8/10, few cracks in dash, and lots of fade, no problemo. Ugly interior color. Felt cheapo.

1990 Toyota 2WD truck, Owned since 2001 by father, then passed to me in 2010 still own and love, 328k miles, burned clutch because I was dumb, replaced, also replaced battery once, 2 alternators @ 201k and 211k and 1 starter @ 211k because I didnt install them right, I used to drift this in rain and rammed a Civic on a date in 2011 but nothing happened, replaced gearbox bushing once @223k w/ clutch. Replaced key ignition because it was worn out. The key would fall off while driving. Wen't to Mexico 3 times @ 202k, 219k and 228k<X<315k. 2000 mile trip. No problems. Lots of miles because family driven and going to Mexico for lots of funerals. Ugly gray and blue gray interior. Feels cheap.

1985 GTS tofu delivery corolla, 345k miles, ECU shorted somehow when I kicked it.... stock clutch, replace stock radiator @300k, stolen once, stolen twice stripped, stolen 2 more times but just stock hood and tires stolen, traded in for Celica. Interior felt cheap.

Family owned:

1990 Ford thunderbird, no mile data when we got it, but:

1) heater went out around 80k says service paper from Ford dealer.
2) Smog no pass for vacuum leak x2 from local mechanic paperwork
3) transmission went out twice. Would move from D to N.
4) burnt oil lots! We used to carry 2 1/4 bottles everywhere!
5) transmission leak after it was replaced, always added red oil I remember as a kid
6) ignition replaced because it broke? we had 4 diff keys.
7) radio went out somehow
8) gas pump replaced once because it clogged says dad?
9) No Smog pass again. Sold.

...interior felt cheap.

1998 Ford Windstar

1) What wasnt broken with this POS! Turn AC on, it would turn off. I used to race with this on its last few months of its life because I was Speed Racer. Engine head gasket done x2 long before i got it.

Interior felt solid but cheap. Junked 2010?

2001 Corolla S

1) Burnt oil a bit. No issues.

Interior felt sturdy and decent. Made/assembled in Mexico of Japan parts?

1997??? Ford ranger.

We never drove anywhere because it never passed SMOG and never left mechanic. 4ish months it was there. Not sure what we did with it, but prob junked it.

2006 Civic. Owned for 2yrs and shared with my gf.

Just transmission issues. Ugly @ss interior that was tan. Oh and O2 sensor? was replaced twice. Sturdy cheap looking interior. Sold @ 111k to help me in college.

Rest of our cars... no data.

Our Ford's had hilarious amounts of issues. Most having to do with SMOG. Even after I started driving them, the problems kept on popping. Maybe it was me causing them not the car?

All of the cars have cheap looking interior. Driven a 75 celica GT. Cheap sturdy looking interior, a mitsubishi eclipse spyder 1996/1997 which was ok, but had head gasket issues and turbo, a ford maverick and a ford torino. Torino and Maverick were sold at around 150k by father because they a hassle due to carb, wheels getting stolen every other month and engines running rough according to dad.

I think Toyota has always had cheap looking interiors for cars designed for the daily driver. Same as any company...

IMO, if you want quality, you need to add it in. The FR-S imo again, is a car thats modify friendly and purposely designed 'cheap.' Try buying a new Porsche for 23K. Twins are customizable. Same as lots of Hondas. Try customizing a eclipse spyder... I remember that car would freakout with any little change. Tach died driving it in middle of road. Never even hit 200k.

I'm also sure others have different points and opinions on the cars above if they've owned em as well.

Buy private extended warranty if you believe there'll be more issues?

//end rant im too drunk to keep on looking through this old box of tax papers and vehicle repairs. I did find a damn old half eaten box of Butterfingers in here like this:

and a joint...

somehow I just deleted a paragraph....fk Paraphrased.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #88
Zyo81

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S, 99 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_86 View Post
For rough idle, mine was from aftermarket intake and fixed with oft tune, js
I should mention then, my car is completely factory except for a trd spoiler and jdm exhaust tips.
Zyo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #89
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamturbo View Post
List of problems with the vehicle. 23 months old & 17,000 miles:

Tail light condensation - Day 1 (Don't really care)
Squeaky windows - Day 1 (Bothers me)
Steering wheel ruined & replaced - Month 6
Right window switch failure - Month 19
Yesterday dash has began to unglue. Use sun shield on hot months. - Month 23

Im probably the 1000th person to say this but you have the smallest fixable problems. People on this forum have dealt with much worse. All brand new makes and models have early issues and recalls. If you want less problems wait for a refresh that's usually when the early problems are fixed.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #90
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
To OP...don't sweat the small stuff
At the end of the day it's still a sexy sports car....trade it in if it bothers you that much!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #91
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,560 Times in 18,948 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
...or wreck it, but not too much. We'll be needing the spare parts.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #92
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Yeah those are pretty minor.

It can be frustrating to run into little things like that with a new car, yes.. But, it's a 25k, mass produced toyota/subaru. The quality was never destined to be above its class.

For the price, I don't really have any complaints, though I think that the base BRZ and FRS should also come with dual climate control and GPS Nav (that isn't controlled by a crappy phone app) as standard, rather than just the BRZ Limited.

But I digress.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #93
TJ3000

Drives: MT Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Why did you buy a Scion then!? Should've bought a Lexus or Benz
TJ3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #94
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,560 Times in 18,948 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ3000 View Post
Why did you buy a Scion then!? Should've bought a Lexus or Benz
Pshhh... Same problems, just more expensive.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #95
NeedsWayMorePower

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Because this car is a Subaru not really a Toyota when it comes to actual build quality. Definitely the worst build quality vehicle I've owned other than the 4th Gen Camaro RS I had (which had absolutely horrendous build quality.) Still, I wouldn't want to drive any other vehicle other than my FR-S... I love it that much despite it's Subaru level quality. I've had Toyota and Acura's/Hondas before the FRS and am familiar with Subaru's from my brother who had a '90 legacy and '05 Impreza RS (which just got flooded out this past week from the heavy rains we had...probably totaled.) If you go in with Subaru level expectations for a twin you won't be dissapointed like you would going in with Toyota/Honda level expectations...
I think I agree; Subaru isn't doing any favors for Toyota/Scion.

Before anyone tells me how wrong I am about Subaru, I know they have legions of rabid fans, and many owners swear by them (out in the PNW I see more 10, 15 and even 20 year old Subarus on the road than any other vehicles of those vintages). It's just my opinion based on exposure to them that they haven't achieved mechanical reliability (motor) of Honda or Toyota.

Honestly, at a MSRP near 25k, and maybe closer to 22k or 23k, and given that rwd vehicles with manual transmissions are somewhat niche in today's world and more expensive to build than fwd counterparts, it's probably harsh to expect too much.
NeedsWayMorePower is offline   Reply With Quote