follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #29
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Automatic is the way of the future. But at this price point we dont get a good. Yea its better than other autos but stick is good. I thought about it but went for stick. Might have got auto if it had same ratios as the manual with just an overdrive sixth gear.

Also was worried about possible issues tracking the car in the future, which I now track the car.

Overall if there was a dual clutch type option I would have went for it. The options available I took manual. But I definitely don't fault those for auto and probably a lot of them can drive it faster then I can drive manual. End of the day it comes down to and whatever transmission gets you there is really a non issue
Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #30
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
Headers too???

I'm debating on either getting my final drive first or headers first. What would you guys recommend?
I would do the final drive gears first as these cars are way over geared. I think somebody figured out once that the automatic if it had the potential to use all the gear ratio would do something like a 165 miles an hour top end.
congee (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #31
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Bring an STI, unless it's written cobb under the hood I'm not scared

Also I think there may be something faulty with your sarcasm detector.
Well excuse my sarcasm detector it failed...I have a 2010 subaru WRX running minor mods... im just over 300hp. My FRS would not stand a chance LOL.
My FRS has the Invidia N1 cat back and an injen intake, and even when i get my Tomei headers done and go for an OFT tune.... SADLY the FRS would still not stand a chance against my WRX!!!! Nevertheless I love both my cars equally
Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #32
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Drives: 2015 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodunit View Post
You're right, they use a dual clutch which is an incredible transmission.

I really hate seeing this because it just confirms people group all automatics.

There is such a massive difference between a proper dual clutch like the gtr and 911 have, compared to a normal automatic with a torque converter that has a "manual" mode. A DCT doesn't have a torque converter, the worst part of an auto tranny.

Please don't compare the tiptronic automatics to a proper dual clutch. The twins are not a dual clutch.

I know the difference between a dual clutch, DSG, SMG, PDK, torque converter.... and Im also mostly familiar with a manual transmission as I obvioulsy own a manual sports car. Im not saying the FRS is a dual clutch or any sort of manual transmission which is operated automatically. The FRS is a great torque converter that actually feels like some dual clutches in the lower categories of cars. The auto FRS was designed just perfect IMO. Designed with different sport modes to suit your preference of driving whether its on the road stuck in heavy traffic or a curcuit track.
Whoever said you cant launch, spin tires or drift in an automatic FRS is a complete liar or simply lacks the knowledge to do so because I have done all those in the AT FRS. Also, gear shifting just under .3 seconds is a hella of good torque converter in a car that costs under 30k.
Im not here to say auto is better than manual but people have different preferences when it comes to cars and the FRS is a great automatic with many capabilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to nmctacticz For This Useful Post:
iceblaze (06-04-2018)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #33
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmctacticz View Post
Well excuse my sarcasm detector it failed...I have a 2010 subaru WRX running minor mods... im just over 300hp. My FRS would not stand a chance LOL.
My FRS has the Invidia N1 cat back and an injen intake, and even when i get my Tomei headers done and go for an OFT tune.... SADLY the FRS would still not stand a chance against my WRX!!!! Nevertheless I love both my cars equally
For some reason, this is @fumanchu1 only post where he doesn't mention the supercharger he has. He also always fails to mention he's #boughtnotbuilt and he can't handle the power too well and under steered right into a curb.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #34
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Headers too???

I'm debating on either getting my final drive first or headers first. What would you guys recommend?
Final drive 4.56-4.88, because it's the most labor and money and worth the most acceleration wise, equalizes most of the 0-60 speed difference of this car vs the manual
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
congee (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #35
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Final drive 4.56-4.88, because it's the most labor and money and worth the most acceleration wise, equalizes most of the 0-60 speed difference of this car vs the manual
Do you guys get any snow in philly? I wonder if it makes winter driving harder.

Cost wise, is FD more expensive than headers/tune?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #36
Kestrel

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S AT
Quote:

Yes.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #37
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

I have stock tires so I haven't even attempted driving in the snow, and I don't have 4.88 gears yet I'm I'm saving up to get the entire rear end. If you have snow tires there should barely be any difference honestly unless in fact it should take less throttle input.

As for cost I'm not sure the exact quotes for a local shop nearby to install it takes 1-2 days and is $400-$500 not including the actual 4.88 gears which are best to be bought from weir performance for $225, and you may or may not need Weir's full installation kit for $300 which you may or may not need depends on the installer and how its quoted. So worst case it's $1025-$1300 after everything is said and done, it's more expensive but the fact is the car can actually hold it's own vs a manual makes all the difference especially when headers and a tune without the final drive barely get the car to beat a manual.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
congee (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #38
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dual clutch .. i guess there were two things against it. 1) this wouldn't be as cheap car anymore, 2) imho it's mileage and cost to replace are not well fit for very likely often abused/trashed on track car (at least from what i've heard from VW owners for how long those last and that servicing usually means replacing whole, much more expensive then MT or common AT, unit). There are many good things that would perform better in this car and rise it's capabilities .. but putting in things on par as in porsche cayman will also make it cost as much. Would i ever consider this car then? Heck, NO. I love for what it is, a LOT of car for it's price. Cheap RWD coupe that performs well on track and provides lot of fun. Yes, with some cons, deficiencies and quirks .. but it should be viewed in context of it's class/price. Are there better ones? Sure. Do those beter ones also cost upfront more and also cost more to maintain/service especially if i want to trash them on track, making it outside my budget by a lot? No doubt. Would i welcome hearing news about this car changed to another more upscale i would never consider for purchase? Of course not. Toyobaru nailed it by giving us good enough and CHEAP car .. right in spirit of AE86, for what i'm thankful to them. There were better cars then original hachiroku back then too. Yet almost same formula of lot of car for little of money where what made it popular back then too. Not revolutionary suspension, nor uber powerful engine, nor uber transmission, nor uber luxury standart equipment, nor uber exemplary performance between all the sporty cars out there. It was good enough yet reasonably cheap.

Last edited by churchx; 03-22-2016 at 09:53 PM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #39
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
For some reason, this is @fumanchu1 only post where he doesn't mention the supercharger he has. He also always fails to mention he's #boughtnotbuilt and he can't handle the power too well and under steered right into a curb.
Shit happens , although I am about 25k richer by not having built it though, I love cars but would rather have someone else spend tons of cash on modding it as I have other mental illnesses to take care of such as pc gaming, guitars and golfing(and buying golf gear). Do love how you manage to bring up the subject even when I don't bring up the sc.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #40
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
also I mean it is written under drives
Drives: 2003 lexus is 300; 2013 Brz C38
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 AM   #41
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Dual clutch .. i guess there were two things against it. 1) this wouldn't be as cheap car anymore, 2) imho it's mileage and cost to replace are not well fit for very likely often abused/trashed on track car (at least from what i've heard from VW owners for how long those last and that servicing usually means replacing whole, much more expensive then MT or common AT, unit). There are many good things that would perform better in this car and rise it's capabilities .. but putting in things on par as in porsche cayman will also make it cost as much. Would i ever consider this car then? Heck, NO. I love for what it is, a LOT of car for it's price. Cheap RWD coupe that performs well on track and provides lot of fun. Yes, with some cons, deficiencies and quirks .. but it should be viewed in context of it's class/price. Are there better ones? Sure. Do those beter ones also cost upfront more and also cost more to maintain/service especially if i want to trash them on track, making it outside my budget by a lot? No doubt. Would i welcome hearing news about this car changed to another more upscale i would never consider for purchase? Of course not. Toyobaru nailed it by giving us good enough and CHEAP car .. right in spirit of AE86, for what i'm thankful to them. There were better cars then original hachiroku back then too. Yet almost same formula of lot of car for little of money where what made it popular back then too. Not revolutionary suspension, nor uber powerful engine, nor uber transmission, nor uber luxury standart equipment, nor uber exemplary performance between all the sporty cars out there. It was good enough yet reasonably cheap.

The biggest reason is that Toyota/Aisin don't have a single dual clutch auto in the lineup which is important to remember, I tried to find one and couldn't, neither does Subaru who gets there transmissions from Aisin as well. A dual clutch system would require heavy development on Aisins part, especially when even though VW uses Aisin when they need to use traditional torque converter type transmissions, for the DSG they use BorgWarner who licenses the dual clutch system to others. In fact the ZF 8 speeds that toyota has traditionally had a dual clutch used a torque converter for the F line at Lexus.

There was definitely some pencil pushing involved when they though of who to put for the bellhousing on the back of the FA20
Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #42
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Shit happens , although I am about 25k richer by not having built it though, I love cars but would rather have someone else spend tons of cash on modding it as I have other mental illnesses to take care of such as pc gaming, guitars and golfing(and buying golf gear). Do love how you manage to bring up the subject even when I don't bring up the sc.
You just like to post about how fast your car is, which you did by mentioning you would outrun an STi unless it was Cobb tuned.

Remember when you mentioned how you'd leave a miata in the dust? Then I posted my friend's Miata? I don't recall you ever replying to that post, so I'll post it again for you.

Here's his instagram to browse through. As I said before, I'm positive he'll be racing in Quebec this summer. I'm sure you could compare lap times afterwards? Unless of course you just like swinging your ****, and not backing it up.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumb thread