follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
DigitalVeil92

Drives: Maybe 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
ECUFlash is the free software used with the Tactrix cable. Tactrix is by far the cheapest route. You can flash OEM roms, the OFT canned roms or buy a rom from wayneroms (super cheap). You can edit any of these roms with ECUFlash or RomRaider but can only flash with ECUFlash. The Tactrix cable also works with Toyota Techstream which can be used to adjust all kinds of settings that typically you would need the dealer for. For example, disable DRLs, disable that annoying passenger seatbelt warning, change the keyless entry beeper volume, change auto lock delay and on and on. It can also pair TPMS sensors, key fobs, transponders, etc. The Tactrix also has an SD slot for data logging.

It’s the cheapest and most flexible route. But yeah it’s got a steeper learning curve but really not that bad at all.
Thanks! This is sounding like the way to go for me right now. If I go this route do I even need BRZedit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
Not to be a ass but if you have to ask this question you need to buy a tune. being tech savy does not make you a tuner and this car is one of the hardest to tune. Call delicious tuning they had me running 13,47 NA
Never tried to claim that I’m a tuner or trying to be one. I’m definitely not trying to create my own tune or even edit someone else’s. Literally just trying to grab a canned tune and flash it onto my ECU and that’s it.

Last edited by DigitalVeil92; 04-05-2018 at 10:20 AM.
DigitalVeil92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I don't know about BRZEdit, or Ecuflash, I have not looked into these. ROMRaider lets you edit OFT tunes, I am not sure which other tunes as well.

OFT, used on CL or the classifieds here is around $400. You can use it stage 1 to begin while you are stock, then as you do upgrades you can flash other tunes as you go for free. If you are going to stop at Stage 1, I wouldn't bother the gains are minimal. But if you plan to go E85 and/or headers/gutted cats etc, I would get the OFT now. You can hit 200 WHP with nothing more than OFT. $400.

ECUTec has a lot of features and has better tuning options from what I read from tuners on here, but it is more expensive.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just didn't want you to waste your money thinking I can tune this car. I thought that bought a ECUtek then once I opened the software said screw this and went thru several tuners until Delicious Tuning. Been with them ever since.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
slacker221

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Like ermax said, if you are computer savy (and I do stress you must know your way around programming and be familiar with the setup for flashing/editing tunes.) and your only looking to use some OTS tunes, then tactrix openport 2 is the way to go. You can usually find a good deal on a used tactrix cable, just stay away from the cheap knock off versions, I have heard bad things about those. But just read through the forum link that ermax linked you, and then read through it again until you understand the required steps.

I have been using the tactrix cable for about a year and a half, I mess around with small parameters and flash different tunes pretty often and have not had an issue yet. OFT tablet just automates the process that you have to do manually through a PC in order to flash new maps with the tactrix cable.

I use RomRaider to edit the tunes, and then use ECUflash to load the map into the car. All free software, and you can download the OFT maps and edit them for your liking (FFS, 2 step LC, Crackle and pop tune, ect.). Or you can purchase some roms like the wayne rom and flash them.

There is alot of good info out there for the tactrix openport, just gotta do some googling.
slacker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #19
DigitalVeil92

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker221 View Post
Like ermax said, if you are computer savy (and I do stress you must know your way around programming and be familiar with the setup for flashing/editing tunes.) and your only looking to use some OTS tunes, then tactrix openport 2 is the way to go. You can usually find a good deal on a used tactrix cable, just stay away from the cheap knock off versions, I have heard bad things about those. But just read through the forum link that ermax linked you, and then read through it again until you understand the required steps.

I have been using the tactrix cable for about a year and a half, I mess around with small parameters and flash different tunes pretty often and have not had an issue yet. OFT tablet just automates the process that you have to do manually through a PC in order to flash new maps with the tactrix cable.

I use RomRaider to edit the tunes, and then use ECUflash to load the map into the car. All free software, and you can download the OFT maps and edit them for your liking (FFS, 2 step LC, Crackle and pop tune, ect.). Or you can purchase some roms like the wayne rom and flash them.

There is alot of good info out there for the tactrix openport, just gotta do some googling.
Yeah I’ve heard about those knock off which makes me nervous even buying a used one. But do if I go this route, do I even need BRZedit?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #20
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalVeil92 View Post
Yeah I’ve heard about those knock off which makes me nervous even buying a used one. But do if I go this route, do I even need BRZedit?
You don't NEED BRZedit. The main advantage to BRZedit is it does real time logging. You can use Techstream for real time logging too but it's kind of a pain to setup, too many steps involved with starting a session in Techstream. It's more of a tool for the shop and diagnostics. I have a Raspberry Pi in my car that I plan to eventually use for real time logging and have it connected as a video input to the OEM head unit. For now I am content with logging to the SD card and then popping it into a computer to analyze later. The Tactrix logs to CSV files which can be analyzed with various utilities. I personally use McLaren ATLAS which is a free download for iRacing members. There is also a website called datazap that you can use for simple analisis. The is also VGI's Tool which can analyze logs.

https://datazap.me/
https://github.com/vimsh/mafscaling
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #21
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
With OFT you can dataloging too, set alarms when car have bad fuelnand start knocking. Also you can use it as additional gauges like coolant/oil temp and can read/erase CEL. OFT is morr than a device for just flash
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #22
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
With OFT you can dataloging too, set alarms when car have bad fuelnand start knocking. Also you can use it as additional gauges like coolant/oil temp and can read/erase CEL. OFT is morr than a device for just flash
Yep, but the goal was "cheapest".
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #23
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Cheapest will be

Buy at tactrix www.tactrix.com

read here
you just need to flash tune which is easy if you computer savvy

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

Message me with your ECU calibration id
or just send me a read file of your ecu

Ill sort NA tune for your mods for a reasnoble price
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-06-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #24
DigitalVeil92

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm getting a grasp on it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Cheapest will be

Buy at tactrix www.tactrix.com

read here
you just need to flash tune which is easy if you computer savvy

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

Message me with your ECU calibration id
or just send me a read file of your ecu

Ill sort NA tune for your mods for a reasnoble price
Will probably take you up on this!
Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #25
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I would take the for simplicity, its a moron proof step by step when comes reading and writing. You can use the off the shelf tunes or if you are am anal person you can dial-in the tune yourself or pay someone to do for you. Thats my experience so far with the oft
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
steve99 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #26
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Also wanted to say oft quickest easiest way to tune your na 86.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #27
Conti93

Drives: Toyota GT86 First Edition 53/86
Tactrix is the way to go. It will need a little bit of reading at the beginning, but after that it's easy once you set it up for your car. And new, directly from the Tactrix website, costs "only" 169$, which is way less than an OFT. By the way, it's produced in San Francisco, so don't buy it from China..
They ship worldwide with FedEx, so it arrived in two or three days at my home in Italy.

Actually if you want the absolute cheapest option you can buy the Tactrix clone, however it WILL randomly BRICK (the clone, not the car. Unless you were flashing in that exact moment. Maybe. Didn't test that.) when connected with the latest ECUFlash, so that's not an option IMHO
Conti93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #28
stacyu18

Drives: 2014 subaru brz
save your money and go with Delicious tunning i have heard nothing but good things and the e85 tune seem to kick ass
stacyu18 is offline   Reply With Quote