follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2020, 12:13 AM   #2367
Deardorf

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series Hyperblue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New owner into

I will be 64 in a couple of weeks and may be the oldest BRZ enthusiast out there! My son started learning to drive at 10 and is now comfortably shifting the 6-speed in the BRZ. So he may be the youngest BRZ driver-and we have both ends of the spectrum covered!

My son and I flew from our home in Palm Springs, CA up to Portland, OR on November 7th to take delivery of our 2016 Series Hyper Blue BRZ. It's number 222 of 504 and was originally sold in Medford, OR October 2015. The car is stock with the exception of a Perrin Resonated 3" Catback Exhaust which has a nice low rumble. The car had 34,000 miles and looks new inside and out and 13 months of power-train warranty left.

Locally, the dealer found one at auction, a 2016 automatic with 115,000 miles on it. Second hand BRZ seem to be hard to come by at dealers. I was certain I wanted a manual shift, stock, low miles, in excellent shape car and this one was not what I wanted. It needed work, and they spent a couple of weeks in the shop but it just wasn't the car for me.

I'm not a fan of metallic paint and once I saw the hyper blue color, it was all over for me. My son was also convinced the blue stitching, gloss black accents, limited production, and the paint were "it" for him!

Mazda of Gladstone was selling dealer, it was a one owner car traded in for something more family oriented and was like a new car. I cannot say enough about them! I was told I'd never get financing out of state. They got me a much lower interest rate than my local dealer and the deal was easy and completed quickly. When I showed up in Portland-they gave me the keys and we drove off! So much fun.

I've come from almost exclusive German car history-owning 18 Porsche including a GT3 daily driver. This BRZ is the closest thing to my GT3 in driving feeling I've found of any car. To all those who scream for more power, if you drive the BRZ correctly-there's plenty of power to have a TON of fun-it's a real driver's car. The GT3 had 400 HP naturally aspirated and that much torque-amazing. But going through 1/2 the gears you're already at driver's license losing speeds and for what? On the track-tons of fun, but I go through the gears in the BRZ keeping it in the torque band and I'm going 70 or 80.

I look forward to all of your posts as I continue to enjoy this car nobody seems to know about!
Thanks
Deardorf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deardorf For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (01-10-2020), Feistyfrog (01-10-2020), p1l0t (01-10-2020), Sisko's_Baseball (01-22-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 12:23 AM   #2368
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorf View Post
I will be 64 in a couple of weeks and may be the oldest BRZ enthusiast out there! My son started learning to drive at 10 and is now comfortably shifting the 6-speed in the BRZ. So he may be the youngest BRZ driver-and we have both ends of the spectrum covered!

My son and I flew from our home in Palm Springs, CA up to Portland, OR on November 7th to take delivery of our 2016 Series Hyper Blue BRZ. It's number 222 of 504 and was originally sold in Medford, OR October 2015. The car is stock with the exception of a Perrin Resonated 3" Catback Exhaust which has a nice low rumble. The car had 34,000 miles and looks new inside and out and 13 months of power-train warranty left.

Locally, the dealer found one at auction, a 2016 automatic with 115,000 miles on it. Second hand BRZ seem to be hard to come by at dealers. I was certain I wanted a manual shift, stock, low miles, in excellent shape car and this one was not what I wanted. It needed work, and they spent a couple of weeks in the shop but it just wasn't the car for me.

I'm not a fan of metallic paint and once I saw the hyper blue color, it was all over for me. My son was also convinced the blue stitching, gloss black accents, limited production, and the paint were "it" for him!

Mazda of Gladstone was selling dealer, it was a one owner car traded in for something more family oriented and was like a new car. I cannot say enough about them! I was told I'd never get financing out of state. They got me a much lower interest rate than my local dealer and the deal was easy and completed quickly. When I showed up in Portland-they gave me the keys and we drove off! So much fun.

I've come from almost exclusive German car history-owning 18 Porsche including a GT3 daily driver. This BRZ is the closest thing to my GT3 in driving feeling I've found of any car. To all those who scream for more power, if you drive the BRZ correctly-there's plenty of power to have a TON of fun-it's a real driver's car. The GT3 had 400 HP naturally aspirated and that much torque-amazing. But going through 1/2 the gears you're already at driver's license losing speeds and for what? On the track-tons of fun, but I go through the gears in the BRZ keeping it in the torque band and I'm going 70 or 80.

I look forward to all of your posts as I continue to enjoy this car nobody seems to know about!
Thanks
Nice! I love my Hyperblue this color/package is the best. I'm "only" 37 but there's actually quite a few guys on here older than me you'd be surprised. I love modding cars but I have 45k on mine and it's bone stock still. It really is an amazing car just on it's own and it corners so well who cares about straight line speed anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Cookefam314 (02-01-2020), Sisko's_Baseball (01-22-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #2369
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorf View Post
I will be 64 in a couple of weeks and may be the oldest BRZ enthusiast out there! < snip >
Not by a long shot! I've got you by a couple of years and there are some on here that have me beat by a decade, (or more).
Enjoy your toy. I like the Hyper Blue too but... I really have the hots for the metallic green used on the Toyota 86 Hakone Edition. Hopefully Subaru will release a STi version in this colour at some point. Maybe a gen 2...
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-10-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #2370
Radar818

Drives: 2013 brz, factory five 818
Hi everyone just joined the forum! Just got into the brz game here this past summer after getting a deal from a buddy of mine on a 2013 limited. It's nice to be back into the Subaru game, I was always in the WRX/sti scene and took a 5 year break (not from Subaru completely) to build a factory five 818, which resulted in selling off all my other cars. So I have that, and now the brz! Car is a nice change of pace from the 818, so happy to be a part of the forum, and looking forward to learning more about the platform.
Radar818 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Radar818 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-14-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 05:54 AM   #2371
Broseph

Drives: Subaru
Hi all!
Long time lurker. Very long time Subaru owner.
I’ve had almost all of them except for a BRZ. Driven a lot of BRZs at various times, but coming from modded STIs and modded twin turbo Bimmers, the lack of torque was just too much for me to buy one. 25% loss up in CO was just too much to take. Naturally aspirated 4cyl engines are a tough sell up here.
Absolutely love the driving dynamics. Love the look and love RWD coupes.
I’m really hoping they turbocharge the next gen BRZ with the FA24DIT Ascent engine like the rumors are saying. I will be getting one! I also hope they are not too far off with a release.
Broseph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broseph For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (01-29-2020), korhun (01-29-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #2372
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bro..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
korhun (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #2373
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post
I'm sure 90% of the people on here have caused damage to one of their own vehicles at some point in their life.
Poked a hole in my front lip from a bolt sticking up in my garage floor. WRX had just with just 10 miles on the dash, just coming off the race ramps after doing a Perrin shifter bushing upgrade. It had clearance getting on the ramp, not sure what changed.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #2374
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar818 View Post
Hi everyone just joined the forum! Just got into the brz game here this past summer after getting a deal from a buddy of mine on a 2013 limited. It's nice to be back into the Subaru game, I was always in the WRX/sti scene and took a 5 year break (not from Subaru completely) to build a factory five 818, which resulted in selling off all my other cars. So I have that, and now the brz! Car is a nice change of pace from the 818, so happy to be a part of the forum, and looking forward to learning more about the platform.
Very cool! Which version of the 818 did you go with? My dad built an MK1 roadster in 1997 (still going strong). The coupe 818 has been in the back of my mind, but I get hung up on stupid things like resale value (like who knows to look for a used 818). I'm good at turning a wrench, but I also know my car skills are limited, further shying me away from doing a build like that.

The 86 platform I think has a ton of potential, although a used NSX is high on my radar at the moment. So many cool cars, so little garage space.... lol https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138143
Old 01-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #2375
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
Hi all!
Long time lurker. Very long time Subaru owner.
I’ve had almost all of them except for a BRZ. Driven a lot of BRZs at various times, but coming from modded STIs and modded twin turbo Bimmers, the lack of torque was just too much for me to buy one. 25% loss up in CO was just too much to take. Naturally aspirated 4cyl engines are a tough sell up here.
Absolutely love the driving dynamics. Love the look and love RWD coupes.
I’m really hoping they turbocharge the next gen BRZ with the FA24DIT Ascent engine like the rumors are saying. I will be getting one! I also hope they are not too far off with a release.

Welcome

logistically Id bet theyd make a FA24DI for the toyo buttheads and put a FA20DIT as their STI variant...
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:27 PM   #2376
Radar818

Drives: 2013 brz, factory five 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
Very cool! Which version of the 818 did you go with? My dad built an MK1 roadster in 1997 (still going strong). The coupe 818 has been in the back of my mind, but I get hung up on stupid things like resale value (like who knows to look for a used 818). I'm good at turning a wrench, but I also know my car skills are limited, further shying me away from doing a build like that.

The 86 platform I think has a ton of potential, although a used NSX is high on my radar at the moment. So many cool cars, so little garage space.... lol https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138143
That's awesome, but I bought the original 818 street option. A friend of mine in the Subaru world heard about it while it was still in the works, and once it was released I pulled the trigger immediately. So I was kit number 110 I think. But one of those things in hindsight wish I would have waited a bit and got the coupe or started with the race version. If I would have been able to register it here in Wisconsin, would be s different story. It is fun though, Ive done a decent amount of autocross with it, just not all that practical. At this point I'm stuck with it, so I may convert it to a coupe at some point and make it my lifelong project car haha.
Radar818 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Radar818 For This Useful Post:
ROFL it's Waffle (01-31-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #2377
junderwood

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Premium
Hey all. New here.

Names Josh. Purchased a 2015 Subaru BRZ in the gray color.

I’ve been into motorcycles for awhile and thought maybe it was time to try cars out. Looking forward to seeing what this puppy can do.

If anyone is in the central Florida area and wants to get together, I’m installing a two post lift in my home garage in a few weeks for it, let’s get to wrenching?
junderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #2378
Fishreeler

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Hi

Stylish and wildly comfortable. Everything at hand, the trunk is perfect. It drives like no car in its price segment. Reliability is also very pleased, even in winter starts up with half a turn in any frost.
As the main car, it’s not very suitable, a rather low, large overhang of the bumper, which causes uncleaned snowballs on the roads. Ideal as a second car.
Mileage 40,000 - except for consumables absolutely no complaints.
Fishreeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #2379
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishreeler View Post
As the main car, it’s not very suitable, a rather low, large overhang of the bumper, which causes uncleaned snowballs on the roads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (02-13-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #2380
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote