follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Turbo Install = Car Fumes??

Just installed a turbo and the gas fumes (perhaps exhaust fumes?) are pretty damn strong inside the cabin. Given the catalytic converter is now deleted that's somewhat understandable but is this normal for new turbo installs?

Now when I turn on the heat or AC I put the car on re-circulate. The problem is the windshield defogger turns off re-circulate and lets the smells back in (prefer not to drive with a fogged up windshield).

Btw, the fumes aren't the thermal wrap on my downpipe because that smells a bit different (I've smelled some of that as well but mostly when i open up the hood after a spirited drive).

I think the canned tune I'm running might be a bit rich, after I get my car custom tuned, hopefully that will fix it at least a little bit.

I'm interested in what the experiences of other turbo users have been as far as new turbo installs and car fumes.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
If you're smelling it in the cabin, I would guess that you have an exhaust flange leak somewhere between the header and overpipe/midpipe connection. Seen as how everything between those two points was just replaced, it seems like a good place to check.
SkAsphalt (03-11-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
Just installed a turbo and the gas fumes (perhaps exhaust fumes?) are pretty damn strong inside the cabin. Given the catalytic converter is now deleted that's somewhat understandable but is this normal for new turbo installs?

Now when I turn on the heat or AC I put the car on re-circulate. The problem is the windshield defogger turns off re-circulate and lets the smells back in (prefer not to drive with a fogged up windshield).

Btw, the fumes aren't the thermal wrap on my downpipe because that smells a bit different (I've smelled some of that as well but mostly when i open up the hood after a spirited drive).

I think the canned tune I'm running might be a bit rich, after I get my car custom tuned, hopefully that will fix it at least a little bit.

I'm interested in what the experiences of other turbo users have been as far as new turbo installs and car fumes.
Which kit?

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
xuimod

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
If you're smelling it in the cabin, I would guess that you have an exhaust flange leak somewhere between the header and overpipe/midpipe connection. Seen as how everything between those two points was just replaced, it seems like a good place to check.
Yeah, that's probably the case. But with the install, it didn't fit perfectly, I actually installed the Downpipe and Testpipe probably 4-5 different times (had to remove them to fix other problems). At no time were all the flanges completely flush with one another. One end of the TP would be flush with the DP but the other end of the TP would be a little off, with a slight gap.

I think there's always going to be a small gap. I tried putting another gasket in there but it wouldn't fit. I also wrapped that area with thermal wrap to slow/minimize the escape of gases but I don't think that's helping much.

Fitment issues like this are common in aftermarket turbo installs correct?

If I bring my car to a muffler/exhaust shop, is there anything they can do to make the fitment better? Can they fabricate anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themajesticone View Post
Which kit?
SBD (Greddy Replica/Knock Off)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Quote:
Did you talk to Chris yet? I imagine you are a member on the owner's facebook group?

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Last edited by themajesticone; 03-11-2015 at 12:40 AM.
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to themajesticone For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, that's probably the case. But with the install, it didn't fit perfectly, I actually installed the Downpipe and Testpipe probably 4-5 different times (had to remove them to fix other problems). At no time were all the flanges completely flush with one another. One end of the TP would be flush with the DP but the other end of the TP would be a little off, with a slight gap.

I think there's always going to be a small gap. I tried putting another gasket in there but it wouldn't fit. I also wrapped that area with thermal wrap to slow/minimize the escape of gases but I don't think that's helping much.

Fitment issues like this are common in aftermarket turbo installs correct?

If I bring my car to a muffler/exhaust shop, is there anything they can do to make the fitment better? Can they fabricate anything?

Let the shit fest begin.....
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (03-12-2015), NyC Zn6 (03-16-2015), raytrix (03-13-2015), swarb (03-12-2015), themajesticone (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Why would a gasket not fit?

You can have the 2 mating flanges refinished/cut and resurfaced to flat. Any machineshop should be able to do it... though it will easily add up in expenses.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
xuimod

Quote:
Originally Posted by themajesticone View Post
Did you talk to Chris yet? I imagine you are a member on the owner's facebook group?
No but I don't think there's much he can do. Every car is a little different so its not realistic to think fitment is going to be 100% perfect for each car.

I don't think there's much he can do besides sending me another testpipe which will probably be the exact same dimensions and thus have the same type fitment issues.

Besides, the gap isn't big at all.... actually you can't even see it from underneath the car. But its big enough for fumes to go through. At least I think that's the case, because I think that's where the fumes are coming from.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
xuimod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Why would a gasket not fit?

You can have the 2 mating flanges refinished/cut and resurfaced to flat. Any machineshop should be able to do it... though it will easily add up in expenses.
How much would it cost to have 2 mating flanges refinished/cut and resurfaced to flat?

Also, the kit didn't come with any extra gaskets so I had to order some from Amazon. But they diameter was too small so I had to basically cut a whole bunch of gasket out to make them the proper size. As a result, the gaskets got kind of mashed up, and these wouldn't fit.

Kind of hard to describe. The flanges between the Testpipe and the back end of the exhaust (overpipe? I don't know what its called) wasn't flush. A 2nd gasket would fit on one side of the flange but not on the other side.

Last edited by xuimod; 03-10-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
How much would it cost to have 2 mating flanges finished/cut and resurfaced to flat?

Also, the kit didn't come with any extra gaskets so I had to order some from Amazon. But they diameter was too small so I had to basically cut a whole bunch of gasket out to make them the proper size. As a result, the gaskets got kind of mashed up, and these wouldn't fit.

Kind of hard to describe. The flanges between the Testpipe and the back end of the exhaust (overpipe? I don't know what its called) wasn't flush. A 2nd gasket would fit on one side of the flange but not on the other side.

Weird that the kit didn't have the proper gaskets, they are supposed to be included in the kit. I haven't had an issue with flanges being warped or anything on the 10 or so kits Ive installed. Its not the highest quality kit on the market, but I haven't really had fitment issues minus a tricky downpipe install.

Make sure you have the overpipe completely loose when trying to install the o2 sensor section of the downpipe. Obviously tighten each bolt a little at a time to get even torque and to make sure the gaskets stay in place.

If non of that works, invest in some higher quality graphite crush gaskets and they should take care of your exhaust leaks.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
xuimod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning View Post
Weird that the kit didn't have the proper gaskets, they are supposed to be included in the kit. I haven't had an issue with flanges being warped or anything on the 10 or so kits Ive installed. Its not the highest quality kit on the market, but I haven't really had fitment issues minus a tricky downpipe install.

Make sure you have the overpipe completely loose when trying to install the o2 sensor section of the downpipe. Obviously tighten each bolt a little at a time to get even torque and to make sure the gaskets stay in place.

If non of that works, invest in some higher quality graphite crush gaskets and they should take care of your exhaust leaks.
Thanks.

You mean something like this?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Remflex-RF8024-Graphite-Flange-Gasket/dp/B000TLPC4O/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426044528&sr= 1-2&keywords=graphite+crush+gaskets"]http://www.amazon.com/Remflex-RF8024-Graphite-Flange-Gasket/dp/B000TLPC4O/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426044528&sr= 1-2&keywords=graphite+crush+gaskets[/ame]

Btw, the kit came with gaskets. I just mean the kit didn't come with an extra set of gaskets so I couldn't fit 2 gaskets instead of 1. I had to go to Amazon to buy the 2nd set of gaskets.
The Following User Says Thank You to xuimod For This Useful Post:
The Racers Line (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #12
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks.

You mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Remflex-RF8024...+crush+gaskets

Btw, the kit came with gaskets. I just mean the kit didn't come with an extra set of gaskets so I couldn't fit 2 gaskets instead of 1. I had to go to Amazon to buy the 2nd set of gaskets.
Yes! Remflex are excellent gaskets, we stock them here at the shop.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
xuimod (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #13
xuimod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning View Post
Yes! Remflex are excellent gaskets, we stock them here at the shop.
Thanks again. I will try them out.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Did you make any modifications to the PCV system? Are you sure you aren't smelling oiley fumes?