follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #183
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.dy06 View Post
Man sucks to hear about all your problems. Yeah I'm still running the same setup and had a seamless swap process. I haven't gotten it tuned yet though. Been deployed after I got it up and running. I will be tearing it apart again to install some new goodies that I've purchased this coming winter, and then I'll get it tuned. I can send you my base tune that I got from Phil if you want, it runs the car fairly well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Actually, I wouldn't mind having your tune to look at, just in case
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #184
Ashikabi

I think I may have found our spark plug wires. Or the style at least. Taylor 76645, see pics for installed clearance. Not sure if these would work on the CX spaghetti headers.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #185
all4spl

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Those are the same ones I use. They work perfect for me on both my FRS and the corvette.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #186
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4spl View Post
Those are the same ones I use. They work perfect for me on both my FRS and the corvette.
I feel like there 90 degree ones would work really well with a coil pack relocation to the oil pan skirt, if you were using the CX headers
Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #187
Ashikabi

Well guys, I need your help again... My starting problems have not gone away. My flywheel is now missing teeth from the starter kicking out and I've decided to retire the car for the season. I need information on where to go from here though.

I think I'm going to replace the crank sensor as a precaution. It's only about $70 and not hard to replace.

It occurred to me yesterday that maybe my fuel rails become vapor locked (or something???) so the fuel injectors have to cycle through all the air or whatever before I can get fuel. Seems unlikely but it seems everyone has a return system for fueling except me. I essentially reused the stock system on the car side and the stock LS rail on the engine. Do you guys think a return style fuel system will help my hard/no start? How are your systems setup? PS I don't want to use the Radium hanger because I can't spend the money
Old 10-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #188
all4spl

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Well guys, I need your help again... My starting problems have not gone away. My flywheel is now missing teeth from the starter kicking out and I've decided to retire the car for the season. I need information on where to go from here though.

I think I'm going to replace the crank sensor as a precaution. It's only about $70 and not hard to replace.

It occurred to me yesterday that maybe my fuel rails become vapor locked (or something???) so the fuel injectors have to cycle through all the air or whatever before I can get fuel. Seems unlikely but it seems everyone has a return system for fueling except me. I essentially reused the stock system on the car side and the stock LS rail on the engine. Do you guys think a return style fuel system will help my hard/no start? How are your systems setup? PS I don't want to use the Radium hanger because I can't spend the money

It's very possible as I believe with a returnless setup, if you have slosh issues, it could ingest air into the lines and then when it picks fuel back up, it could trap air pockets in there. It's possible. Also make sure wiring is good to go. I had issues with my corvette not wanting to start if oil level and temp sensor wiring was messed up (melted from exhaust)
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #189
TunaNoCrust

Drives: 86, 981S, RX8, 2500HD, GenesisV8
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Absolutely go to a return style fuel system. I would never run a returnless system or waste my money on those radiums. Mine was a bottom sump fuel cell with the pump well below the fuel cell sump and the regulator was mounted as close to the fuel rails as possible. Bypass/Return from regulator went back to the top of the cell.

My "car" never ever had an issue starting, and I put it in some precarious positions.
TunaNoCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #190
Ashikabi

Thanks guys. Any more input is still welcome.

I don't use the oil level sensor and I don't think temp applies because I have a stand alone system. Wiring is fine as far as I know. Most likely issue there is grounds but I can't find anything wrong with mine.

I don't plan to use a fuel cell and I have a Verus fuel door on my stock pump cage.

I was hoping someone who ran a return on their stock tank would chime in. IIRC Sportsguy or ILLSMOQ did it
Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #191
TunaNoCrust

Quote:
I have a stand alone system.
Curious as to why
Old 10-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #192
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaNoCrust View Post
Curious as to why
The MRS module wasnt quite done yet and I felt like using the stock computer piggybacked with the LS computer would be sketchy.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #193
TunaNoCrust

Quote:
The MRS module wasnt quite done yet and I felt like using the stock computer piggybacked with the LS computer would be sketchy.
Oh man it would have been way cheaper and easier.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #194
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaNoCrust View Post
Oh man it would have been way cheaper and easier.
So it would seem. Fortunately the Hydra EMS want nearly as expensive as the MoTech
Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #195
TunaNoCrust

Quote:
So it would seem. Fortunately the Hydra EMS want nearly as expensive as the MoTech
Yeah you aren't kidding MoTechs probably cost as much as many people's entire cars
Old 10-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #196
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks guys. Any more input is still welcome.

I don't use the oil level sensor and I don't think temp applies because I have a stand alone system. Wiring is fine as far as I know. Most likely issue there is grounds but I can't find anything wrong with mine.

I don't plan to use a fuel cell and I have a Verus fuel door on my stock pump cage.

I was hoping someone who ran a return on their stock tank would chime in. IIRC Sportsguy or ILLSMOQ did it
I didn’t notice you were looking for me to chime in until now “@“ me next time or dm, I’m happy to help.

I have the radium in tank kit/relay kit with one pump. 8an to my regulator, 8an to the Rail, 8an back to the regulator and 6an back to the tank. Works great for me. Taken it back roads and pushed it really hard often. Have not yet encountered any fuel starvation issues. Aggressive track days may show different results though, we’ll see.

Tried to skim through all the posts but couldn’t get a clear idea of what is happening.

What exactly occurs from the moment you turn the key or push the button?

Last edited by ILLSMOQ; 10-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote