follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
PresiO.

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Weird problem.. Pls Help.

Okay guys so let me start off by saying I have a meaty fitment with 255/35/18 up front and 265/35/18 in the rear on 18x9.5 +40 enkei Nto3. The other day I had a blow out because I ran over a huge bolt on my way to school (luckily I was down the street a block). Anyway... One of my friends let me borrow two of his stretched tire wheels( don't know the exact specs), but they are the same size wheel.

Ive been having random times where my car thinks I am losing traction and will have the traction control light flash and will not allow me to accelerate. All good as Im sure the car is freaking out because of the change in wheels.

Last night on my drive home from school (about 12 miles). My gauge cluster freaked out and my MPH went to zero on both the digital and the analog. My check engine light came on, Emergency brake light, and a couple others.

Im guessing my car is still freaking out about the different wheels? Im waiting for the new tire I ordered to come in.

And btw even when I start the car the check engine light is on. Could the different sized tires on the rear wheels freaked my car out so bad that it throws a code?

Thank you for any help and or advice.
PresiO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
PresiO.

Garage
This may be in the wrong section. I just noticed.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Right section.

Sounds to me like you managed to mess up a wheel speed sensor somehow. I would start by checking them out.
PresiO. (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Which tire was blown? Front or rear? I hope not the later, and i hope you didn't miss bit in manual of fitting SAME SIZE WHEELS/TIRES ON AXLE WITH LSD! (as it's very easy to kill one due overheating if running with different ones by driving even not that long distances. And same - as in overall tire diameter when mounted. No clue how it's with your "same sized wheels" "but streched tires"). If that's the case, then it's just own fault of not reading manual and going for staggered setup for looks/posing reason, as it could have been simple tire rotate of one from front to rear and putting temporary different sized replacement in front, till blown one is fixed or replaced by same tire. And if that's the case, i'd try to not drive anymore with different tires rear, get same wheels/tires there as soon as possible, and maybe change oil in diff, hopefully it may do, if not, one might be in for expensive diff replacement. There is alternative, if fitment/clearance allows, to put both front wheels in rear though.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (11-21-2017), nos145 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
PresiO.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Which tire was blown? Front or rear? I hope not the later, and i hope you didn't miss bit in manual of fitting SAME SIZE WHEELS/TIRES ON AXLE WITH LSD! (as it's very easy to kill one due overheating if running with different ones by driving even not that long distances. And same - as in overall tire diameter when mounted. No clue how it's with your "same sized wheels" "but streched tires"). If that's the case, then it's just own fault of not reading manual and going for staggered setup for looks/posing reason, as it could have been simple tire rotate of one from front to rear and putting temporary different sized replacement in front, till blown one is fixed or replaced by same tire. And if that's the case, i'd try to not drive anymore with different tires rear, get same wheels/tires there as soon as possible, and maybe change oil in diff, hopefully it may do, if not, one might be in for expensive diff replacement. There is alternative, if fitment/clearance allows, to put both front wheels in rear though.
Im very sure that my diff isn't ruined if that is what you are trying to say. My wheels have been on my car for 20k miles and I've had no problem. There is such a thing as people that have "meaty" tire fitment and others that like "stance" and stretch tires onto bigger sized wheels. Both my friend's and my wheels are 18X9.5 but he went for a stretched tire stance look and I went for a more meaty fitment not stance look(if that makes any sense). Ive known at least 40 Frs/brz owners that have different sized wheels other than what is said to have in the manual. NONE of them have had problems. Also my setup is only staggered in the fact that the front tire size is 255 and the rear is 265. Other than that my setup is squared. Good day.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresiO. View Post
Im very sure that my diff isn't ruined if that is what you are trying to say. My wheels have been on my car for 20k miles and I've had no problem. There is such a thing as people that have "meaty" tire fitment and others that like "stance" and stretch tires onto bigger sized wheels. Both my friend's and my wheels are 18X9.5 but he went for a stretched tire stance look and I went for a more meaty fitment not stance look(if that makes any sense). Ive known at least 40 Frs/brz owners that have different sized wheels other than what is said to have in the manual. NONE of them have had problems. Also my setup is only staggered in the fact that the front tire size is 255 and the rear is 265. Other than that my setup is squared. Good day.
I think you missed his point. Which tire blew out and which one did you replace? If it was one of the rear wheels, you may be in trouble because the rear left and right sides *MUST* match. If they are mismatched even a little, it will overwork the LSD and can cause all kinds of problems. The issue isn't the rim, it's the size of tire.

This isn't an issue at the front of the car.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-30-2017), jasonojordan (11-21-2017), JazzleSAURUS (11-21-2017), nos145 (11-21-2017), PresiO. (11-21-2017), wparsons (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
PresiO.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I think you missed his point. Which tire blew out and which one did you replace? If it was one of the rear wheels, you may be in trouble because the rear left and right sides *MUST* match. If they are mismatched even a little, it will overwork the LSD and can cause all kinds of problems. The issue isn't the rim, it's the size of tire.

This isn't an issue at the front of the car.
Yes it was a rear wheel, but I did change both of the rear wheels to match. Both the front are my typical setup and the rears are my friends setup. I knew it would be a dumb idea to throw on one wheel that doesn't match, especially on the rear. This is why I replaced both of the rear wheels when I had the blow out.

Guess I didn't specify in my original post.
The Following User Says Thank You to PresiO. For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes it was a rear wheel, but I did change both of the rear wheels to match. Both the front are my typical setup and the rears are my friends setup. I knew it would be a dumb idea to throw on one wheel that doesn't match, especially on the rear. This is why I replaced both of the rear wheels when I had the blow out.

Then I would lean towards Tcoats suggestion about a wheel speed sensor issue.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
PresiO. (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Since you have two of your "normal" setup on the front can you move them to the back? I know they are not your typical width you were running in the rear but it would eliminate the fact that your using your friends stretched butthole tires there for eliminating that is possibly causing your issue.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
PresiO. (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
PresiO.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Since you have two of your "normal" setup on the front can you move them to the back? I know they are not your typical width you were running in the rear but it would eliminate the fact that your using your friends stretched butthole tires there for eliminating that is possibly causing your issue.
LOL. I was going to do that today. Thats why you don't run "stretched butthole tires" right? Hopefully that fixes my problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to PresiO. For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
LOL. I was going to do that today. Thats why you don't run "stretched butthole tires" right? Hopefully that fixes my problem.
The symptoms you described are more than just different tires on the rear. That may make the traction control have fits but not cause the cel and all the other indicators to come on.
JazzleSAURUS (11-21-2017), PresiO. (11-22-2017), strat61caster (11-29-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The symptoms you described are more than just different tires on the rear. That may make the traction control have fits but not cause the cel and all the other indicators to come on.
Good call missed that portion of the post. Guess I stopped reading after stretched tires lol.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
a $20 OBD code reader would solve 90% of your problems right now, without having to guess what the CEL is for.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (11-21-2017), PresiO. (11-22-2017), Tcoat (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
a $20 OBD code reader would solve 90% of your problems right now, without having to guess what the CEL is for.
I got me one of those china obd2 readers.
use it on frs and on 4runner.

that + torque app was best 25$ spent
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nos145 For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (11-21-2017), PresiO. (11-22-2017)