follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #211
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroll View Post
Son, since I am also an owner of a 2zz Spyder and I am also the one who did the swap in my garage let me tell you something.

Lol, son.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da Brz For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #212
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Car and Driver is F-ing Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Brz View Post
Calm down, son.

I know just trolling these spec bench pressers 😂😂lol we lose the entertainment value of the forums if we don't troll these folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #213
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd hate to get into an accident in an MR2 Spyder. This is what keeps me from getting older cars.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (10-25-2016), Ultramaroon (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #214
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I'd hate to get into an accident in an MR2 Spyder. This is what keeps me from getting older cars.
Buddy of mine wrecked the hail out of one. Totaled it.

The only thing he had to worry about was when he dad got there.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da Brz For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #215
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
30k can get you a lot more hp

kids dont care doe they want frs
i heart ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #216
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpnoy1984 View Post
Are you willing to pay 35 to 40K for it because there gonna have to beef up the brakes, suspension and etc?

All I hear is lack of power this and lack of power that your children are so spoiled these days with power yet our cities are getting more congested with traffic, CAFE and emissions laws to add the car was NEVER intended to beat supercars but to provide you practical but fun experience that you can use as a commuter car on weekdays, track day on the weekends too bad you bench spec peeps will never ever get it.

Just to note the AE86 which this car came from as an inspiration made a measly 112 HP lmafo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And most people try to pull more power out of them.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #217
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
You piqued my interest so I looked it up. Holy s___, the average salary of an automotive journalist is only $34k. Thought it was way more than that.

http://work.chron.com/much-automotiv...ake-19236.html
I was gonna say the job satisfaction must make up for it.... But then I remember they also have to test drive and review the vanilla stuff too...

And I would love a 2ZZ Spyder (I even asked/PM'd Rampage about it back when I was looking)... But that car asks for practicality sacrifices that I just can't handle (financially) right now... Maybe some day.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #218
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Son
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #219
Toroll

Drives: Very slow car
Quote:
Are you willing to pay 35 to 40K for it because there gonna have to beef up the brakes, suspension and etc?
Yes, I'll trade it in a hearthbeat....because modding it yourself will cost the same anyway and you'll lose warranty, emission standard and probably reliability. Having a choice of F/I does not mean that Subaru/Toyota will discontinue the N/A version. If one would want to spend that much money, at least they have a choice from the dealer.

What's wrong about having more choice? Why are you against it so much? So what if other (future) Twin are more powerful than what you already have now?

Quote:

Just to note the AE86 which this car came from as an inspiration made a measly 112 HP lmafo.

Are you sure? The body cues are based from Toyota 2000GT.

The 86 badge was more of a marketing gimmick since the hachi-roku is more popular than the 2000 GT. They say that the number 86 more signifies the 86mmx86mm bore and stroke of the boxer.

If they really wanted to revive the hachi roku root, they should have called it a Corolla 86.
Toroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #220
Toroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
And most people try to pull more power out of them.
hmmm.. the N2 Formula Atlantic edition. 240hp from a 1.6L.. 11,000rpm.

Takumi in Initial D later on had this on his hachi roku.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #221
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, I'll trade it in a hearthbeat....because modding it yourself will cost the same anyway and you'll lose warranty, emission standard and probably reliability. Having a choice of F/I does not mean that Subaru/Toyota will discontinue the N/A version. If one would want to spend that much money, at least they have a choice from the dealer.

What's wrong about having more choice? Why are you against it so much? So what if other (future) Twin are more powerful than what you already have now?

Are you sure? The body cues are based from Toyota 2000GT.

The 86 badge was more of a marketing gimmick since the hachi-roku is more popular than the 2000 GT. They say that the number 86 more signifies the 86mmx86mm bore and stroke of the boxer.

If they really wanted to revive the hachi roku root, they should have called it a Corolla 86.
Except it wasn't just a marketing gimmick. The main inspiration for the twins from the AE86 was a simple and cheap platform that had the flexibility to be modified into whatever motorsport was needed:. Circuit, auto-x, rally, drifting, etc. The AE86 has been successful in all forms and is still, 33 years after being released, a popular platform to build a car.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSkoolToys For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-26-2016), Mr.Impreza (10-25-2016), Zaku (10-26-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #222
Toroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I think it is the reason why I got a Twin.. don't you think?

BTW, the twin is only safer if the TC is on. The spyder, believe it or not, because the engine weight is at the back, it has more traction and thus more predictive. It is more precise and the steering is razor sharp. (Mid engine power baby!.. there's a reason why exotic cars are mid engine... even F1 cars) . It is also more lighter thus stopping is easier. The previous Mr2 had snap oversteer... surprisingly, the spyder don't have this.

The thing is, the spyder has only 2 airbags so the Twin should make me feel safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Brz View Post
Lol, son.
I know... kids these days think it is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Except it wasn't just a marketing gimmick. The main inspiration for the twins from the AE86 was a simple and cheap platform that had the flexibility to be modified into whatever motorsport was needed:. Circuit, auto-x, rally, drifting, etc. The AE86 has been successful in all forms and is still, 33 years after being released, a popular platform to build a car.
But like the other guy said, the ae86 did not shine because of having 112hp. The successful and popular ae86 were not just 112hp.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #223
Hoahao

Drives: 2014 Monogram Hot Lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Son, since I am also an owner of a 2zz Spyder and I am also the one who did the swap in my garage let me tell you something. When you are swapping a 1zz to a 2zz you are basically just adding 50 more horses, 2000 more rpm, and extending the flat torque line to 7800rpm. It is adding another cam profile that will make it possible to hit LIFT (aka Toyota's own form of VTEC if you haven't heard that yet). The engine size is still the same tiny 1.8L but makes as much as our 2.0 boxer with no torque dip. A 2zz spyder almost retains everything. Heck even the axles, AC compressor, coolant hoses, engine mounts, shift linkages, intake, engine wire harness, and exhaust can all be reused.

The logic here is that since it is just basically adding 50 more horses and you define this as a "Spyder shell" is like saying that if we mod our twin and gained some horses, then it is now just a "Twin shell"?

Also, I don't get the taboo of comparing other cars to our Twin. So what if they are older?

Let me tell you this again. A 2zz spyder will run circles on a stock Twin and I don't like that fact.. hence I want my twin to be at least as capable. Not to mention that a 2zz spyder is only a fraction of the money.

Also, if you think an MR2 Spyder is ugly.. you can actually make the spyder exotic looking. All you need is a full body kit. Yes the quarter panels can be easily removed unlike our Twins.

But in the end,, I am still hoping a Forced Fed Twin version will be released soon.
I checked out the ad posted for your $3200 2zz Spyder. This is what it said...

Giving up on my project as I don't have the time or space for it. It's a 2001 5 speed with about 115k miles on it. 1zz smokes badly and burns a quart every 200 miles. I'm the process of removing motor to replace with 80k mile 2zz from a 05 matrix. I have all swap parts necessary to complete swap. Goes as a package deal. $3200 obo. Much less then what I paid for everything. Located in Colorado Springs, CO.

Exterior has dings and dents but has never been in an accident. No rust. Top has a few small rips. Interior is decent. Comes with OEM embroidered floor mats. Leather seats. Comes with spare leather drivers seat. Black. Brand new tires on all 4.

Such a deal.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:29 AM   #224
Toroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoahao View Post
I checked out the ad posted for your $3200 2zz Spyder. This is what it said...

Giving up on my project as I don't have the time or space for it. It's a 2001 5 speed with about 115k miles on it. 1zz smokes badly and burns a quart every 200 miles. I'm the process of removing motor to replace with 80k mile 2zz from a 05 matrix. I have all swap parts necessary to complete swap. Goes as a package deal. $3200 obo. Much less then what I paid for everything. Located in Colorado Springs, CO.

Exterior has dings and dents but has never been in an accident. No rust. Top has a few small rips. Interior is decent. Comes with OEM embroidered floor mats. Leather seats. Comes with spare leather drivers seat. Black. Brand new tires on all 4.

Such a deal.
Uhg.. what bait and switch seller.. I was about to add to cart and check out. Nice catch bro.