follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #57
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
We completely understand being skeptical and wanting additional information for a new product.

The HP and TQ gain numbers are based on the difference between our own BRZ's baseline dyno numbers to our BRZ's dyno numbers with our Stage 1 Kit installed (all performed on our in-house Dynapack dyno), and then converted to flywheel numbers. We convert gain numbers for all our products to flywheel numbers (like OEM ratings).

In regards to more specific numbers and dyno graphs, they will be released closer to the official release of the kit in November.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
I will be watching your thread..
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
WORKS (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #58
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post
Does it _____________?

You might get better results in regards to answers for your questions if you ask them in entirety.

My big criticism would be the pre-turbo MAF sensor. It's good that its a BPV vice BOV, but I'd personally prefer to have the MAF showing true IAT - especially without a true intercooler.
Hi Woode,

The BRZ uses a common Subaru sensor that has MAF and IAT sensors combined into a single unit. MAF sensors pre-turbo are very common on OEM applications, such as stock WRXs and STIs, and acceptable. '08 and up WRX and STIs even have a similar single unit MAF/IAT sensor built into the air filter housing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #59
shortcut

Drives: Frs 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
dyno numbers?
The Following User Says Thank You to shortcut For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (11-06-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #60
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@WORKS
I officially love the layout of this system and am now starting to save for it.
I want to know something though.
How difficult would it be to limit the boost (or eliminate it if necessary) below 3000 rpm and run higher boost above that?
I would rather keep the car mild and protect the engine in the low rpm and make more power in the upper rpm. This is my view of the best of both worlds. Much less likely to lose a rod or have other damage and still be even faster if you keep the revs up.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #61
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
From the limited information posted I get the impression they are not after big power. Stg 1 is limited to less than 8 psi.

One aspect I can see from the pic that I am not crazy about is how uneven the air intake box lines up with the snorkel. The weight of the tubing is pulling it to the left causing the box not to line up flush where the snorkel pipe meets with the air box.

Similar thing happened to me when I had the phantom. The compressor weight pulled the box out of position. Nor that it hindered performance but still.

This thing is selling for $3300. If the install does not require bumper removal and is ez to install I may consider. Personally I like that it comes across as a safer, lower powered turbo than some others. Supporting mods can get expensive when you command more power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Does the front bumper need to come off for install?
Hi Boofneenee,

Good question.

The misalignment you have noticed is not caused by our kit as it was noted by our engineers when we received the vehicle in stock form. Knowing this, the airbox was restrained into the correct stock alignment/location during the design process to ensure proper fitment (our kit will not cause a misalignment of the airbox).

As you correctly noted, the misalignment does not affect function or performance, only fitment, but again was addressed in the above manner and is not a result of our kit. We plan to take new photos with the airbox in its correct position.

In regards to installation, you do not need to remove the front bumper.

Cheers.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #62
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
So @WORKS, why the decision to make a non intercooled setup?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 11-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #63
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
I love that you made it look stock and didn't use retarded colors with flashy logos all over it
Thank you @brianhj. One of the goals with our kit was to achieve an OEM or factory look.

Cheers.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #64
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
How does this retain the factory exhaust header?
Quote:
Originally Posted by civdaddy View Post
The turbo placement is right above where the factory exhaust routes.
Quote:
I believe it replaces the overpipe, much like PTuning turbo kit does (although they have the turbo mounted low and also use an intercooler)
@woode is correct. Our kit removes the overpipe (exhaust component between the exhaust manifold and the front pipe) and uses that location to route the up and down pipes leaving all other components in the exhaust system untouched.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #65
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
How would this system work with an aftermarket header? Even faster spool?
Just thinking about guys who already have one.
Hi @mid_life_crisis,

With regards to fitment, our kit should bolt up to aftermarket headers that maintain the stock header outlet flange location. Remember that the stock header contains a catalytic converter and two O2 sensors, so replacing the OE header with an aftermarket one will likely require software adjustments to our base file.

Spool characteristics are based on many factors that are unique to different header designs (volume, primary tube diameter, bend geometry, etc.) There are so many aftermarket BRZ header options that it's not possible to make definitive statements about what aftermarket headers will do to the spool characteristics of our kit.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #66
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
The HP and TQ gain numbers are based on the difference between our own BRZ's baseline dyno numbers to our BRZ's dyno numbers with our Stage 1 Kit installed (all performed on our in-house Dynapack dyno), and then converted to flywheel numbers. We convert gain numbers for all our products to flywheel numbers (like OEM ratings).

No disrespect but this seems to be an ass backwards way of doing things.

People interested in making power way to know what the vehicle is capable of putting down and to get away from the "like OEM ratings". That's why they dyno their car. They don't want a flywheel number or any conversions.

If you put this kit out and say it's +80hp/tq you're going to be hammered for false advertising if that doesn't hold up on a dyno that measures at the wheels.

Since you already have the kit installed, can you get some dyno pulls done on a dynojet, mustang dyno or dyno dynamics?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #67
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Get that CARB exemption and it will pay off big time! Oh and make sure and develop the kit for Auto Trans Cars ��

Hats off, I like this design!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to F1fletch For This Useful Post:
WORKS (11-14-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #68
355rockit

Drives: Sci FR-S, Fer F355, Toy Highlander
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@WORKS .... Will this be able to be fitted to the TRD intake? I see you have it fitted to the OEM intake. The TRD intake tube doesn't have the 90degree bend and is a straight tube connection
The Following User Says Thank You to 355rockit For This Useful Post:
WORKS (11-14-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #69
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I remember another turbo kit that was very simliar (pre-intercooler cooling pipe) that was posted about a year ago? Can't remember if it was a one-off or another company's offering that failed..

Anyways, good to have another [what appears to be] quality turbo kit option. Curious on results, especially when boost is turned up a little.
There was a kit developed two years ago that had the same turbo placement. It does have an intercooler, but is $2200 more. Both come with a base tune, but the this one is tuneable for less, unless you already have EcuTek.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #70
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
There was a kit developed two years ago that had the same turbo placement. It does have an intercooler, but is $2200 more. Both come with a base tune, but the this one is tuneable for less, unless you already have EcuTek.
D3 performance
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19572
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh

Closed Thread