follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
mikeTee
Yup.

Drives: MT Subaru BRZ '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Apple CarPlay: iOS Vehicle Integration

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgrGho4aYM"]Volvo and Apple CarPlay - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
GENEVA―March 3, 2014―AppleŽ today announced that leading auto manufacturers are rolling out CarPlay, the smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhoneŽ in the car. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch. Users can easily control CarPlay from the car’s native interface or just push-and-hold the voice control button on the steering wheel to activate SiriŽ without distraction. Vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will premiere CarPlay to their drivers this week, while additional auto manufacturers bringing CarPlay to their drivers down the road include BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.

“CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. “iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we’re thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva.”

Apple has led consumer technology integration in the car for more than a decade. CarPlay brings your car and iPhone together for a thoughtful experience that lets drivers focus on driving, while also tapping into everything they want to do with their iPhone.

Once iPhone is connected to a vehicle with CarPlay integration, Siri helps you easily access your contacts, make calls, return missed calls or listen to voicemails. When incoming messages or notifications arrive, Siri provides an eyes-free experience by responding to requests through voice commands, by reading drivers’ messages and letting them dictate responses or simply make a call.

CarPlay makes driving directions more intuitive by working with Maps to anticipate destinations based on recent trips via contacts, emails or texts, and provides routing instructions, traffic conditions and ETA. You can also simply ask Siri and receive spoken turn-by-turn directions, along with Maps, which will appear on your car’s built-in display.

CarPlay gives drivers access to all of their music, podcasts, audiobooks and iTunes Radio℠ with easy navigation through listening choices from the car’s built-in controls or simply by asking Siri to pull up what you’d like to hear. CarPlay also supports select third-party audio apps including Spotify and iHeartRadio, so you can listen to your favorite radio services or sports broadcast apps while driving.

Pricing & Availability
Apple CarPlay is available as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones, including iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5. CarPlay will be available in select cars shipping in 2014.
Source: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014...n-the-Car.html

What's everyone think about it? It's suppossed to be an overlay UI so it would be supplemental to whatever software future FRS/BRZ headunits may run. Hopefully they offer it for the twins.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I can do everything it offers over the Bluetooth in my car.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
No way this is totally different! Apple invented this and it's a revolutionary change to how we'll use phones in our cars! /sarcasm.

They do this with everything, copy and paste was a revolutionary advancement in phones when it came to the iphone, despite every other phone already doing it.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
fatherfork
Fears Hiccups

Drives: Toyota badged 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Garage
I'm looking forward to this. I hope I can get an aftermarket head unit with Carplay on it. I like the iPhone interface and having a simplified version that is updated with my phone OS instead of by the head unit manufacturer (so probably never) sounds really great.

On a side note, if this isn't for you (android phone, etc.), please don't join the conversation. We could stand a little less noise.
fatherfork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatherfork For This Useful Post:
levifig (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherfork View Post
I'm looking forward to this. I hope I can get an aftermarket head unit with Carplay on it. I like the iPhone interface and having a simplified version that is updated with my phone OS instead of by the head unit manufacturer (so probably never) sounds really great.

On a side note, if this isn't for you (android phone, etc.), please don't join the conversation. We could stand a little less noise.
Ah yes, no criticism is allowed in a public forum.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
fatherfork
Fears Hiccups

Garage
Quote:
Ah yes, no criticism is allowed in a public forum.
Don't put words in my mouth. I simply asked politely that you not chime in for reasons of relevant discussion. Follow my request or don't, I never implied that I control a public forum.

Edit: Crap, you got me to engage. I really need to learn from others' mistakes. Reply all you want, but this will be my last.

Last edited by fatherfork; 03-03-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Sanity.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
mikeTee
Yup.

For me personally, it would get rid of the phone mount that I have on my dash. I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of Apple Maps but all things considered the current GPS situation in the BRZ really isn't any better with it's sporadic signal dropping, though YMMV. But if it gives 3rd party developers any easy venue for app development for our car head units, I'm eager to see what follows.

Or they just need to come up with a very good Android headunit and call it a day.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
fatherfork
Fears Hiccups

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTee View Post
...But if it gives 3rd party developers any easy venue for app development for our car head units, I'm eager to see what follows.
I agree. That may even allow other map applications to use the link. They do with music, so we'll see.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
johnnie

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's not standard, so it sucks! We need open protocols and standards so i can use the phone i want with whichever car i own at that time.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherfork View Post
Actually my wife and I have so many apple products it's not even funny, including iphones.

But i'm still not so sure what's so great about this compared to bluetooth unless they can increase the sound quality somehow. I usually direct connect my phone via usb because it sounds better.

BTW props to Volvo for using In Flames, Sweden power!
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to f0rge For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Sound OE companies has Mirrorlink for android for sometimes now, and it does things more than CarPlay. What's the point Apple?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
mikeTee
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie View Post
It's not standard, so it sucks! We need open protocols and standards so i can use the phone i want with whichever car i own at that time.
From what I understand, the iPhone is doing the processing and displaying of the CarPlay UI, so as I mentioned before, it's in addition to whatever software the factory headunit is going to be running. And even then, it'll probably be an option, not the standard, offering in most of these vehicles so there's no obligation for any future car buyers to have to get this system.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"So you can both interact with your Apple CarPlay and your Volvo simultaneously."

...into that tree.

Not a fan of Apple so the only good I can see coming from this is if Google and Microsoft/Nokia jump into the same market.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

That is true.

But some of us like the smexy interfaces that Apple designs. After clunking around on the BRZ head unit for eight months, and playing with aftermarket head units on and off, I welcome something that looks pretty and functions well in my dash.

Hope this doesn't stay factory exclusive, though I have my doubts that it will ever be available on third party head units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
levifig (03-03-2014)