follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Feel like a Post Whore.

I feel like a Post Whore when I see my name next to every section of the forums lol -- anyone else feel like they post to much when the only name next to each new post in each forum header is yours?
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Siriusly.Andrew

Yes well, I didn't want to be over exposed. I do have a little bit of dignity left :P
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.
Yeah, I constantly see my name across all bases..
except regional, because the forums for the northwest are about completely inactive...
It's okay.. I actually AM a post whore, so....... yeah, it works out.
Lexicon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Siriusly.Andrew

Could make it a slogan of some kind...

Instead of "I Am Canadian" (even if you aren't) we could say "I Am a Post Whore"
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
Could make it a slogan of some kind...

Instead of "I Am Canadian" (even if you aren't) we could say "I Am a Post Whore"
I've got a question for you.
Now that Canada's lost to America at hockey... what do you guys have to be proud of?
Maple syrup?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When you already have over 1,000 posts.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Siriusly.Andrew

I don't care about Hockey, most of us don't really. I haven't actually watched Hockey since... oh gee... I don't remember lol. And the last time I had any notice of the Olympics was when the guy was killed on the Ice Luge Race.

And didn't the Canadian Women's team take home the gold? I thought thats what I heard, but I probably heard wrong.

And why do people compare countries against other countries. With people Immigrating when ever they want most of the players on the team are probably from another nationality anyways.

Did you know that Japanese people are better at math than Americans and Canadians not because they are Japanese and are smarter or have bigger brains, but because their number system is easier to learn. By the time most of our youth can count to 10, Japanese kids are counting in the hundreds. Their language is conducive to fast learning.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Quote:
I don't care about Hockey, most of us don't really. I haven't actually watched Hockey since... oh gee... I don't remember lol. And the last time I had any notice of the Olympics was when the guy was killed on the Ice Luge Race.

And didn't the Canadian Women's team take home the gold? I thought thats what I heard, but I probably heard wrong.

And why do people compare countries against other countries. With people Immigrating when ever they want most of the players on the team are probably from another nationality anyways.

Did you know that Japanese people are better at math than Americans and Canadians not because they are Japanese and are smarter or have bigger brains, but because their number system is easier to learn. By the time most of our youth can count to 10, Japanese kids are counting in the hundreds. Their language is conducive to fast learning.
Don't make unsupportable claims. I'd like to see some evidence on the reason behind Japanese people being better at math. I'd also like to see research that shows a real correlation between being Japanese and being good at math.

All that said, the only reason I know America beat Canada is because someone thought I cared about the Olympics and started talking to me about it. The only reason I remembered it was because I immediately thought "OMG, I know some Canadians who are gonna be SOOOO easy to mess with right now!"

I'm really not interested in who wins or loses, none of it makes my life any better or worse. It doesn't affect me, so...
Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Siriusly.Andrew

Malcolm Gladwell -- Outliers -- written by Malcolm Gladwell and published by Little, Brown and Company on November 18, 2008

"Pronouncing words for numbers in Eastern languages such as Chinese takes a significantly
shorter time than pronouncing them in English. As a result, Chinese children
can hold more numbers in their short term memory. Furthermore, number terms and
phrases are more literal and regular in Chinese than in English. For example, the number
twenty three is expressed as two tens three in Chinese. Therefore, Chinese children
have a slight edge when it comes to arithmetic because it is arguably easier to add
three tens seven (37) to two tens two (22) than it is to add thirty seven to twenty two.
This may explain why children in China and other far-eastern countries do much better
in math (percentiles in the high 90s) than children in the west (percentiles in the
30s). Thus, being good at math may also have some explanations that have to do with
language in particular and culture in general."

I can get the full chapter if you'd like. Sorry I got Japanese and Chinese confused, but the languages are similar in terms of mathematics.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
zbirdman777
86 Addict

Drives: 2009 Scion tC
I'm sitting next to my chinese friend, Evan, in class right now and he tested out of calculus I, and II at the beginning of college without ever taking them before and he made an A in Calc III without doing any homework or studying. He was born in America, both of his parents are Chinese but none of them speak chinese.

That doesn't explain why he's so good at math, I'm better than him at most other things but he's just really good at math. Then again he is a little different, afterall he does drive a new camaro.
zbirdman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Siriusly.Andrew

Hes an Outlier :P
Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Quote:
Malcolm Gladwell -- Outliers -- written by Malcolm Gladwell and published by Little, Brown and Company on November 18, 2008

"Pronouncing words for numbers in Eastern languages such as Chinese takes a significantly
shorter time than pronouncing them in English. As a result, Chinese children
can hold more numbers in their short term memory. Furthermore, number terms and
phrases are more literal and regular in Chinese than in English. For example, the number
twenty three is expressed as two tens three in Chinese. Therefore, Chinese children
have a slight edge when it comes to arithmetic because it is arguably easier to add
three tens seven (37) to two tens two (22) than it is to add thirty seven to twenty two.
This may explain why children in China and other far-eastern countries do much better
in math (percentiles in the high 90s) than children in the west (percentiles in the
30s). Thus, being good at math may also have some explanations that have to do with
language in particular and culture in general."

I can get the full chapter if you'd like. Sorry I got Japanese and Chinese confused, but the languages are similar in terms of mathematics.
I said evidence, not conjecture.
You fail.

This doesn't support your claim, it's simply some guy saying "Well, this is probably why..."

It's the same as if some guy was sitting there listening to a friend and I having this argument and decided to jump in with "Well, they're probably good at math because of certain genetic markers and neurochemistry, rather than environment." Sure, it sounds nice and realistic, but there's nothing supporting it.

I'm not saying you're wrong.. just saying, don't jump out there with something you have NO support for, other than some other asshole with NO support for the idea.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
Siriusly.Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon101 View Post
I said evidence, not conjecture.
You fail.
Sorry, I needed a couple moments to gather my sources properly.

Theres an Exam that most schools do. The students don't know what its for, but its to compare mathematic & science achievements of the 4th and 8th grade students for each country that chooses to participate in the exam. Its called the TIMSS exam. "Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study".

This study was first completed in 1995, and every couple years after. Most recently in 2007. The results. They do it ever 4 years. Next is in 2011.

• U.S. fourth-graders scored 529, on average, in mathematics, which was higher than the TIMSS scale average of 500.
  • The average mathematics score of U.S. fourth-graders was higher than those in 23 of the 35 other countries, lower than in 8 countries (all 8 were in Asia or Europe), and not measurably different from the average scores of students in the remaining 4 countries.
  • U.S. eighth-graders scored 508, on average, in mathematics, which was higher than the TIMSS scale average of 500.
  • The average mathematics score of U.S. eighth-graders was higher than those in 37 of the 47 other countries, lower than in 5 countries (all of them in Asia), and not measurably different from the average scores of students in the remaining 5 countries.
For more info on the PROOF of my claims, please visit

http://nces.ed.gov/TIMSS/

And for the table which shows you where each participating country stands

http://nces.ed.gov/TIMSS/table07_1.asp
Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
S2KtoFT86- Whats up buddy? you havent been saying much lately. Now lex is trying to take over your crown of post whore. Its more entertaining talking about S2000s and other hondas then talking about whos wiener is bigger or whatever they are talking about up there ^ i guess its just not the not same with out your post whoreness
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote