follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
JDMPR725

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (10-Series)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any good stereo systems for an 86?

I'm buying an 86 in several months but I'm going over my to-buy parts list and looking for an aftermarket stereo system to replace the OEM center console radio. I'd like to know any good alternatives you guys recommend or use in your cars.

I'm personally looking for a stereo system with a removable head to prevent thieves from stealing it (not a lot that comes with that feature, unfortunately). An Android OS with good CPU/RAM, maybe a micro sd feature, and with a rear-camera monitor feature.
JDMPR725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'm adding a turbo since the stock sound system didn't have what I was looking for. UEL headers with a muffler delete is a good choice for pretty cheap. A couple companies make ITBs for this engine if you're a huge sound enthusiast. There are a lot of options
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
maslin (06-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'm adding a turbo since the stock sound system didn't have what I was looking for. UEL headers with a muffler delete is a good choice for pretty cheap. A couple companies make ITBs for this engine if you're a huge sound enthusiast. There are a lot of options

he did post in the correct section...

so 1/2 the responses you'll get are that audio in this car is an absolute waste of money. the other half will respond with their specific brand preferences as the greatest thing, and pricing will be all over the board. my post isn't going to be any different .

first, you need to come up with a rough cost where you want to be.

some of the guy's running android units are starting to hit the limitations-- they're all cheap crap, many won't run more than 1 app at a time. i don't believe any of them have removable screens. windows-based carpc's are a better option, but integration fell flat 10 years ago, and now nearly doesn't exist.

personally, i run a pioneer deh-80prs. it does everything i need for audio, looks cheap so no one touches it, but also has a removable faceplate and sd card slot if one were so inclined. it doesn't look the prettiest in the dash, and there's no big screen, but i'm happier that way..
wheelhaus (06-19-2019), why? (05-21-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Try the one used in the BRZ MY2012-15...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Look, the BIGGEST problem with the stock radio in the 86 is connectivity.

Think of it like a 1 din radio from 10 years ago, it just happens to have a big screen for a backup cam. It's THAT useless, AM/FM/BT/AUX don't count on anything more than that. Aha? HAHA! wonky unreliable connectivity, useless, and don't you start hoping we'll get a carplay/android auto update like lexus selling carplay software updates, this radio is just in the iM, 86 and C-HR, we're trash peasants. However, prior to purchase based on comments from the internet, I had assumed I'd have to chuck it in the trash on week 1 because "hurrrr! sound bad!".

Truth is, the sound quality is fine for a stock system, that's it, "fine". you don't have to assume it's unusable trash, and if you just want [sound] it's tolerable.

I'm still gonna chuck mine in the trash eventually, but it was tolerable enough that it's priority has fallen behind wheels/tires/wing/underbody aero.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
JDMPR725

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (10-Series)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

he did post in the correct section...

so 1/2 the responses you'll get are that audio in this car is an absolute waste of money. the other half will respond with their specific brand preferences as the greatest thing, and pricing will be all over the board. my post isn't going to be any different .

first, you need to come up with a rough cost where you want to be.

some of the guy's running android units are starting to hit the limitations-- they're all cheap crap, many won't run more than 1 app at a time. i don't believe any of them have removable screens. windows-based carpc's are a better option, but integration fell flat 10 years ago, and now nearly doesn't exist.

personally, i run a pioneer deh-80prs. it does everything i need for audio, looks cheap so no one touches it, but also has a removable faceplate and sd card slot if one were so inclined. it doesn't look the prettiest in the dash, and there's no big screen, but i'm happier that way..
I suppose you're right. There isn't much of what I would ideally find on what I'm looking for. The one you have does look nice and I have a similar pioneer model in my Integra but want to have that removable head feature most of all.
JDMPR725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:16 AM   #7
soundman98

I had a pioneer appradio with 7" flip up screen for a while--$350 i believe, similar to the 80prs. Not a high end unit by any means, just had a fancy 7" touchscreen

It remains the one radio someone broke into my car for. So i actively avoid radio's with screens now. But then i also had a carpc for a while with a built-in 7" screen(custom built transflective layers, was around $700), and i never had problems the entire time that was installed...
Old 05-20-2019, 03:52 AM   #8
Alastor

Drives: Toyota gt86 my19
Hi

If you havent a problem with your money, you have a Pioneer avh-z9100dab. Is antifet.
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I have a Pioneer DEH-P01 from japan I'm tempted to install because the sound quality of the stock system really is that bad, and the navigation is even more useless. I mean the stock system is fine for listening to podcasts, but that's about it.

However you should really go to https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/, as they are the kings of car audio and I am sure there are plenty of reasonably priced options that have what you are looking for that they will know about.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
luisark

Drives: Toyota Corolla 2017
you can take a look at this car stereo http://www.carstereoarkright.com removable and RAM available in 2G or 4G
luisark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98
personally, i run a pioneer deh-80prs. it does everything i need for audio...

Same! Fantastic little unit, all function and virtually no flash.

If you’re just looking for a better head unit, find one that looks pretty and does what you want. If you’re looking for a whole system upgrade, thats a different story, you’ll need to pick more carefully.

The DEH-80PRS is marketed as a high sound quality head unit, and will give you tuning features to really dial in great sound, but you need more/better gear to make it sing. It doesn’t have all the flash and eye candy and additional navi/app features but it does have powerful audio processing and decent DACs. If you have no intention to go such a route as this then the first line of this paragraph is all you need.

Personally mine is wired as an “active front stage” where the 4 primary channels are dedicated to component mid woofers and tweeters up front, and two small 8” subs in small custom enclosures in the corners of the trunk. My rear drivers in the back seat are disconnected. Everything is sound deadened, EQ’d, and time aligned to sound like the music is right in front of the driver’s seat. This setup is all driven by an Alpine PDX9. I can go into more detail if you like, but you need to set goals first, then we can help you pick parts and figure out how to execute it.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 AM   #12
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post

Same! Fantastic little unit, all function and virtually no flash.
Coming from a carpc, I'm still missing independent channel eq's and more variety of crossover selection(dayton point sources for high end, so still full active, but with a low tweeter xover), so I'm considering adding a dayton or minidsp unit for the lacking functionality.

How did you set up the time alignment? I've tried it a few times and always just end up with headaches from the psychoacoustics being screwy...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #13
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I currently have an Android unit from China which has treated me well for the past few years but have had my eyes on the below unit which sports wireless Android Auto.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #14
blackstripe77

Drives: BRZ
I’ve been looking into the DEH-80PRS - everything about it seems great, but have some concerns that the unit is a little outdated. Is the head unit able to display text when an iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, and will Spotify also play via Bluetooth?
blackstripe77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, android, audio system, music, toyota 86