follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #57
dragogreen

Drives: 2016 Forester XT and 2006 NC1 Mx-5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedabi View Post
Is your FR-S SC'd? My BRZ gets much better mpg than my 2004 WRX ever did and the BRZ is cheaper to insure as well. I'm in NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 2015 wrx has a different motor then our older wrx's.. its direct injected as well! . It is a bit more efficient compared to the older gen wrx.
dragogreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #58
Indydog812

Drives: '06 R53, '72 type 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just 2 cents from a guy trying to decide between these cars... I've only test driven the mustang and frs at this point.

The frs is the only Id rather drive then my R53 mini (when it is working right). It's smallness is why it's great and also why I haven't jumped at buying one. Not the best choice when your only other car is a classic beetle with the body off the pan. Home Depot runs were challenging enough in the mini.

Looking at the mustang puts the biggest grin on my face but driving it is unremarkable. Still trying to test a manual w/performance pack. The base Ecoboost is around frs price and still nicer interior. I believe Richard Hammond once said that mustangs are the cars that people who don't know anything about cars think are fast and I think that sums up the owners... I think this latest generation is a step in the right direction it just needs a diet.

The fiesta looks cheap and ugly but supposed fun factor still is has me looking for one.
my local dealer sells them before the hit the lot so no test drive.

Wrx I'm not a big fan of sedans. Even performance sedans come off as a bit boring but the wrx is growing on me and I may have to check one out still. I actually liked the crosstrek despite its lack of power but couldn't stand it's kitchen chair like seating position. I want to sit on the floor of my car.
Indydog812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:46 AM   #59
bedabi

Drives: '13 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Everyday Driver's Todd just bought a used FR-S as his personal car per their podcast.

bedabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bedabi For This Useful Post:
10Stars (07-18-2015), DAEMANO (07-18-2015), Demandred7 (07-18-2015), JS + BRZ (07-18-2015), ScoobsMcGee (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #60
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedabi View Post
Everyday Driver's Todd just bought a used FR-S as his personal car per their podcast.

Yeah, I just listened to that podcast too. Good for him. He had $20K to spend on a car and he wanted lightweight, fun to drive and is his daily driver. He got a used hot lava in Utah with a warranty from a Toyota dealer.

Sounds like he will be driving it year round in Utah and he also is going to do some mods. Paul is already giving him a hard time about the lack of power...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #61
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
thats cool haha
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #62
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a feeling Todd would buy one. I can see Paul buying a Mustang though..lol
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #63
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
lol I averaged 22 mpg in my pickup truck, moved furniture and possessions between no less than a dozen dwellings, it was integral to completing my college student design project to transport our 200+ lb tooling setups through the central valley, and I crammed 3 other people in it to enjoy a lovely meal once.

#notallpickups

Fuck I don't want to sell it but I will before summer is out
So... you used your truck for truck things.
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hpde_addict For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #64
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpde_addict View Post
So... you used your truck for truck things.
Actually used it for a ton of car things too, was worked up about the idea "pickup trucks are the least practical vehicles" when mine was an excellent as a commuter (put 25k miles on it over the years, avg. 22 mpg), weekend tripper (AC always worked excellently, always got where we were going), drive around town with buddies car (let's load up and the four of us go have dinner!), and at getting sideways on backroads or in the wet.

Even with ~130 hp minus what it's lost over 25 years it would merge effortlessly and cruise along in fifth gear at 75+ mph if I needed it to with the AC spitting ice cubes at you.

I've spent <$3k on it (not including gas and insurance) and it's been some of the best money I've spent in my life.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #65
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I want a truck for truck things.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #66
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Yes, our BRZ is supercharged, but the 2015 WRX gets better MPG thant he BRZ ever did, even on stock primacies.
Cuz you either weren't trying or weren't driving the cars the same due to the torque curve discrepancy. No way if you tried to hypermile both cars would a WRX ever touch a BRZ. BRZ requires a heavier foot and more revs to wring it out. While your experience may be accurate, I find your general characterization a bit misleading to say the least.

I can get same or better hwy mpg with my FRS than a gen1 Prius.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
tyrantcf (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #67
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Cuz you either weren't trying or weren't driving the cars the same due to the torque curve discrepancy. No way if you tried to hypermile both cars would a WRX ever touch a BRZ. BRZ requires a heavier foot and more revs to wring it out. While your experience may be accurate, I find your general characterization a bit misleading to say the least.

I can get same or better hwy mpg with my FRS than a gen1 Prius.
I don't see how it's misleading; I drive in a similar manner with both cars under street conditions, accelerating at the same general pace as the traffic around me.

Strictly hypermiling (i tried it out of curiosity), I was able to get nearly 50 mpg (48.2 to be exact, per the car) over a tank of gas. However, it's not something I would ever recommend doing; I had to go out of my way to do it.

I've never been able to break into the mid 40's with the BRZ.

Under "normal" driving conditions, on 91 octane, I consistently get upper 30's in the WRX, whereas I get mid 20's in the BRZ. In fact, I get better MPG on E85 with the WRX than I do on 91 with the BRZ.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:43 AM   #68
abraxis

Quote:
I don't see how it's misleading; I drive in a similar manner with both cars under street conditions, accelerating at the same general pace as the traffic around me.

Strictly hypermiling (i tried it out of curiosity), I was able to get nearly 50 mpg (48.2 to be exact, per the car) over a tank of gas. However, it's not something I would ever recommend doing; I had to go out of my way to do it.

I've never been able to break into the mid 40's with the BRZ.

Under "normal" driving conditions, on 91 octane, I consistently get upper 30's in the WRX, whereas I get mid 20's in the BRZ. In fact, I get better MPG on E85 with the WRX than I do on 91 with the BRZ.
So how would you explain that using physics? That's a serious discrepancy with the EPA/DOT certification which was established to provide consistency where prior stickers were gamed much more.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/34668.shtml

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/34850.shtml

So DOT has BRZ doing 20% better combined, but you're saying almost the exact opposite in favor of the WRX. You'd think Subaru would be more than happy to post 33mpg combined on their stickers to sell more cars if they could do it.

Has anyone else here with a new WRX been able to confirm nearly 50mpg hypermiling actually confirmed at the pump? Turbo, AWD, added weight, gear ratios more aggressive (?), not sure where the gas savings would come from...
Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 AM   #69
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
So how would you explain that using physics? That's a serious discrepancy with the EPA/DOT certification which was established to provide consistency where prior stickers were gamed much more.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/34668.shtml

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/34850.shtml

So DOT has BRZ doing 20% better combined, but you're saying almost the exact opposite in favor of the WRX. You'd think Subaru would be more than happy to post 33mpg combined on their stickers to sell more cars if they could do it.

Has anyone else here with a new WRX been able to confirm nearly 50mpg hypermiling actually confirmed at the pump? Turbo, AWD, added weight, gear ratios more aggressive (?), not sure where the gas savings would come from...
Let me google that for you.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...614826&page=26

CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #70
abraxis

Quote:
Again, a misleading response. Or misleading non response.

1-No one on the page you linked showed anything close to 48-50mpg.
2-The first pic you linked (w/o details from the post btw) says he was doing 50mph max and getting 42.3 mpg (based on the computer, not calculated). I can get that in a FRS doing 65mph.
3-Another hypermiler claims to have gotten 39mpg doing 60mph for 210 miles to Medford which I assume is pretty flat. BRZ should do equal or better still.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=631

4-Most '15 WRX users claim to be averaging about 30mpg mixed per the computer. I think we've had plenty of FRS/BRZ users doing equal or better.
5-I still haven't heard what physics is involved that makes a heavier AWD turbocharged car with more power and torque a more fuel efficient car than the BRZ. The only thing that could be possible would be a more optimally tuned set of gears and fuel mapping for your driving style.

I would have loved to have seen your avg throttle position and gear selection for each to compare, but I doubt that's possible now. Based on that thread, the evidence available, and my own experience, I'll stand by my suspicion that your discrepancy is due to difference in driver behavior more so than the WRX being a more fuel efficient car than the BRZ. There's simply no scenario I've read on that page that I couldn't do better with the 86. Then again, you lost an engine, so maybe you had other issues with it.