follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Is the FR-S
Yes 281 90.94%
No 28 9.06%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #71
Sigma6

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I'm not the one paying for it. That's why I need to justify it. (Everything after it leaves the dealer is me though.)

The spoiler is ~$400. The rest is dealer and handling fees.

I figured as much, that is why I replied. Yes, this car is worth it without dealer markups. It is a beautiful machine that, barring the oversight of a few engineering issues, should/may get logged into the automotive history books as a work of art.

With that being said.... it may not be for you. People on a message board who, for the most part, have a passion for this platform should not be your or your parents point of reference on your or your parents needs. You still have much to learn from them and you always will. NEVER forget that.

Would you be hot shit on campus with a frs or brz? Fuck yeah you will.. but...

Shhhit, screw it... get it. Hug and kiss your parents, tell them you love them more than anything and then enjoy your time being young... in one of the best engineered cars since the mk1 Rabbit GTI.
Sigma6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #72
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma6 View Post
I figured as much, that is why I replied. Yes, this car is worth it without dealer markups. It is a beautiful machine that, barring the oversight of a few engineering issues, should/may get logged into the automotive history books as a work of art.

With that being said.... it may not be for you. People on a message board who, for the most part, have a passion for this platform should not be your or your parents point of reference on your or your parents needs. You still have much to learn from them and you always will. NEVER forget that.

Would you be hot shit on campus with a frs or brz? Fuck yeah you will.. but...

Shhhit, screw it... get it. Hug and kiss your parents, tell them you love them more than anything and then enjoy your time being young... in one of the best engineered cars since the mk1 Rabbit GTI.
Actually...no. I go to Embry-Riddle. Some kids drive Beamers, Porsches, Land Rovers, Cadis and some other expensive stuff, all of which are new. I saw a Maseratti with a campus parking sticker on it the other day. It may have been a professor.

My parents don't care about the things a parent is normally concerned with: speeding, carpooling, reckless driving, etc.. Well they do, but I'm not one of those "show off guys" (aka douchebags). I just come from a car oriented family that drove Integras, CRXs, Supras, and more. At this point, I just want to know what everyone thinks.
boredom.is.me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #73
Amadeus

Drives: White MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
I cherish every minute of every opportunity that I have to drive the car. Every time that I walk up to my car, I get excited about the fun that I am about to have. The smiles per mile to me are priceless. I love driving again and that is invaluable.
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amadeus For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #74
Splat

Drives: FR-S ultramarine
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I know this topic has been discussed as a result of other topics, but I have not really seen it on its own. Please read everything before commenting or voting.

We got a quote for ~$27,000 for a MT Pearl White FR-S with BeSpoke and stock spoiler. (I honestly didn't even know there was a spoiler option.) I don't want the BeSpoke, but this was for a car that was on the way so why not ask.

Either way, do you really think this car is worth the $26K-$28K?

What do you get? A boxer engine... wheels, which all cars come with... The interior is nice, but the dash looks cheap. Take the knobs for example. They scream cheap! You're not paying for excess power (because there isn't any ). What are you really getting?

This is not about RWD, fun aspect, or anything like that. This is purely about what you get in/with the car.

I am being completely serious, and would like to know what you guys and girls think.

Kev
What are your really getting with any car???? Tires, engine , seats, radio, after that it is all subjective. This is lame, I am not even going to vote
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Splat For This Useful Post:
axss (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #75
axss

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine 6SPD MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually...no. I go to Embry-Riddle. Some kids drive Beamers, Porsches, Land Rovers, Cadis and some other expensive stuff, all of which are new. I saw a Maseratti with a campus parking sticker on it the other day. It may have been a professor.

My parents don't care about the things a parent is normally concerned with: speeding, carpooling, reckless driving, etc.. Well they do, but I'm not one of those "show off guys" (aka douchebags). I just come from a car oriented family that drove Integras, CRXs, Supras, and more. At this point, I just want to know what everyone thinks.
Umm if you come from a family that drove Integras you should have no issues convincing them an FR-S is a great car.
axss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #76
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Back when I was looking at a used miata I looked up a few of the racier parts, including the mazdaspeed limited slip rear.

It was $1200. By itself. USED. and a limited slip for a hot hatch? At least 2k.

I paid 25k for my car and I absolutely wouldn't give the LSD back to save a buck. Nor would I turn loose of light weight OEM wheels, or the kickass suspension, traction control, direct injection, etc.

Find another car with direct inject, a manual trans, a limited slip and 4 wheel disk available at this price? For that matter, a driveshaft instead of a trans axle.

And that's limited slip. With gears, or clutches. Not some electronic braking gizmo.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P

Last edited by Ingen; 11-27-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Ipad sucks.
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingen For This Useful Post:
Lawnik (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #77
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
I bought mine for $24,195.

I don't think I need all the "extras" to drive put the price. I, personally, would not pay $28k for this car.
me either! the scion is a ''dead nuts" match for the brz.
produced in the same factory on the same assembly line!
seriously,cannot "justify" spending $28,000 for the brz,because it has
convenience stuff.in my view,car is NOT worth the $3,000 + it should be bought
for the engineering,and it's superior handling characteristics. 25 "large" is a good value, 28 large?..no!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #78
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
This is not about RWD, fun aspect, or anything like that. This is purely about what you get in/with the car.

I am being completely serious, and would like to know what you guys and girls think.

Kev
Kev. Don't buy the car. You're looking at everything EXCEPT the #1 reason the car was even MADE. I can immediately tell you that if you're NOT considering RWD and fun, this ain't the car for you, since you aren't putting any value in those two features.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #79
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

If you want a fun car that will teach you how to drive an FR and not murder you in the process, then it's a great car. If you want a car that looks good and will take well to modifications, it's a great car. If you want the best designed chassis under 50k or so, it's a fantastic car.

If you want to haul around your crew and your girlfriends, not so much. Although, when I looked into Embry-Riddle during my junior year of highschool, I decided to go elsewhere as soon as I saw the whole 80-90% male thing. Maybe you don't have to worry about the chickas.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #80
Sigma6

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Honest truth then. Shut the fuck up and buy the damn car. Don't waste the time of others on an ENTHUSIAST website to ask their opinion of the car they drive to give you fodder to sling at your parents so they can buy you the car that you think you want.

How's that for an answer?
Sigma6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #81
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
Back when I was looking at used meats, I looked up a few of the racier parts, including the mazdaspeed limited slip rear.

It was $1200. By itself. USED. and a limited slip for a hot hatch? At least 2k.

I paid 25k for my car and I absolutely wouldn't give the LSD back to save a buck. Nor would I turn loose of light weight OEM wheels, or the kickass suspension, traction control, direct injection, etc.

Find another car with direct inject, a manual trans, a limited slip and 4 wheel disk available at this price? For that matter, a driveshaft instead of a trans axle.

And that's limited slip. With gears, or clutches. Not some electronic braking gizmo.
i suggest you look at how much aftermarket lsds cost for the frs. most miatas come with an lsd and if you want to buy one that is equivalent to the one in the frs they can be had for like $400 or if you want a viscous even less.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #82
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

That's awesome. My family drove Buick LeSabre, Regal, and Pontiac Grand Am. Not quite the same sort of stable. The FR-S is currently the only sports car in my entire family short of a cousin who drives a Genesis 2.0T.

Just realize this car is not a stoplight warrior. It's no slouch, but, this car is all about carving up a winding road.

Last edited by Demandred7; 11-27-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added extra sentence
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #83
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i suggest you look at how much aftermarket lsds cost for the frs. most miatas come with an lsd and if you want to buy one that is equivalent to the one in the frs they can be had for like $400 or if you want a viscous even less.
But why? Frs comes with one. What I was saying is that it isn't just interior parts that add value to the car.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #84
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
What are your really getting with any car???? Tires, engine , seats, radio, after that it is all subjective. This is lame, I am not even going to vote
Not forcing you to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by axss View Post
Umm if you come from a family that drove Integras you should have no issues convincing them an FR-S is a great car.
YES. dat logic is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
If you want a fun car that will teach you how to drive an FR and not murder you in the process, then it's a great car. If you want a car that looks good and will take well to modifications, it's a great car. If you want the best designed chassis under 50k or so, it's a fantastic car.

If you want to haul around your crew and your girlfriends, not so much. Although, when I looked into Embry-Riddle during my junior year of highschool, I decided to go elsewhere as soon as I saw the whole 80-90% male thing. Maybe you don't have to worry about the chickas.

Nathan
Actually the ratio is 5 guys per girl now. It was 8:1 last semester. I actually see more girls than squirrels now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma6 View Post
Honest truth then. Shut the fuck up and buy the damn car. Don't waste the time of others on an ENTHUSIAST website to ask their opinion of the car they drive to give you fodder to sling at your parents so they can buy you the car that you think you want.

How's that for an answer?
brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
But why? Frs comes with one. What I was saying is that it isn't just interior parts that add value to the car.
That's what I was wondering too. Wow, 1000mi in 10 days!
boredom.is.me is online now   Reply With Quote