follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
btoast

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am interested in what issues people have had that would fall under the lemon law catagory.

Lemon law typically needs the car to be in for repair (i.e., unusable or unsafe to drive) for the SAME repair 4 times or out of your possession (in the shop) a total of 30 days -- this is for California at least.

Having interior rattles fixed, the fuel pump replaced under the TSB, condensation in the tail lights, ect... would not fall under the lemon law. Even replacing your transmission (as I have seen people complain about on here) would not fall under the lemon law unless it took them a long time to remedy or many attempts to rectify.
btoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btoast For This Useful Post:
irxproductions (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #16
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoast View Post
I am interested in what issues people have had that would fall under the lemon law catagory.

Lemon law typically needs the car to be in for repair (i.e., unusable or unsafe to drive) for the SAME repair 4 times or out of your possession (in the shop) a total of 30 days -- this is for California at least.

Having interior rattles fixed, the fuel pump replaced under the TSB, condensation in the tail lights, ect... would not fall under the lemon law. Even replacing your transmission (as I have seen people complain about on here) would not fall under the lemon law unless it took them a long time to remedy or many attempts to rectify.
Every state is different and most have a days system for the first 2 years or the same thing breaking multiple times within so many miles. Most people that lemon lawed theirs had the cel/traction light issue. They early cars that had that were in the shop close to a month. The fuel pump, taillights, transmission, oil leaks and deck lid popping all add up days the car is stuck in the shop. Some people have busy schedules and do not have that kinda time to be stuck always dropping off and picking up their car from the shop. It would be better for them to just get a different car with less known issues.

Sent from my Q10
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Accurate Race Shop For This Useful Post:
btoast (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
irxproductions

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 Speed Triple
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you're having a lot of issues with your car, but it doesn't qualify as Lemon Law in your state, you can also check out the Better Business Bureau.

My first new car (a '97 Z24) had a terrible rattle in the dash that I took to three different dealers over 10 times to have repaired. It absolutely did not qualify as a Lemon Law issue, however the BBB got in touch with GM and GM bought the car back.

A friend of mine had a '99 Jetta that was P.O.S., and the BBB Auto Line got VW to buy him out of his lease.

It works...
irxproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irxproductions For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #18
Sithspawn

Drives: '14 Hot Lava FR-S w/Flappy Paddles
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
I successfully lemoned out my first FR-S as did another member here. For my situation, the engine failed and after two short blocks with no fix in sight, I got the ball rolling. Look in the owner's manual and it will give you specific instructions for your state.
Sithspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #19
FT911

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
My engine failed more than a month ago and has been in the shop since. I'm at something like 42 days now I guess that means I qualify right?
FT911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #20
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT911 View Post
My engine failed more than a month ago and has been in the shop since. I'm at something like 42 days now I guess that means I qualify right?
Your state has a 1 year 12,000 mile limit. If you are within the first year of ownership and under 12,000 miles and you car has been in the shop more than 30 days (as you stated) you can lemon law the car... your state kinda sucks on the milage/ time owned. most states are 24,000 miles or 2 years of ownership.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
FT911

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate Race Shop View Post
Your state has a 1 year 12,000 mile limit. If you are within the first year of ownership and under 12,000 miles and you car has been in the shop more than 30 days (as you stated) you can lemon law the car... your state kinda sucks on the milage/ time owned. most states are 24,000 miles or 2 years of ownership.
Cool thanks, but yeah that's half the time/miles which is lame. It's enough for my car though as I'm only at 6 months/8k miles.
FT911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #22
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT911 View Post
Cool thanks, but yeah that's half the time/miles which is lame. It's enough for my car though as I'm only at 6 months/8k miles.
No problem there is also no rule against lemon lawing the car and then buying another fr-s/BRZ. Some people just got ones that have issues so they toss that one and get a different one. Who knows maybe when they built yours it was a monday after a long weekend and all the employees were hung over.

Sent from my Q10
Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I've had my fuel pump replaced 2x and can easily go for a third. Not that I would but would this qualify for lemoning under the California lemon law?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote