follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2019, 02:59 AM   #1
Grey86

Drives: Tornato grey 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need a little advice

So the time has come to paint my front lip to match the colour of the car, it had that many paint chips and crap in it, it needed a refresh.
Ive got the paint mixed up in spray cans as thats all they had at available, and cause i dont have a compressor and paint equipment.

So with your advice what are some tip/s you could give me to help me get the best result for this front lip (its fiberglass) if it makes a difference the colour is dark grey/Tornado grey (61K)
TIA
Grey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:56 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey86 View Post
So the time has come to paint my front lip to match the colour of the car, it had that many paint chips and crap in it, it needed a refresh.
Ive got the paint mixed up in spray cans as thats all they had at available, and cause i dont have a compressor and paint equipment.

So with your advice what are some tip/s you could give me to help me get the best result for this front lip (its fiberglass) if it makes a difference the colour is dark grey/Tornado grey (61K)
TIA
My first thought would be to take your paint to a good body shop and have them prep and paint it. Since you brought the paint, if it doesn't match, that would be on you.

Option two would be to rent a compressor and a sprayer and DIY. Preparation would be most important. Then a primer coat, then a paint coat, then a clear coat. If you have never painted a car before, I'll almost guarantee you, you will mess it and wind up taking it to a body shop to get it "fixed".

Good luck!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
Grey86

Drives: Tornato grey 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
My first thought would be to take your paint to a good body shop and have them prep and paint it. Since you brought the paint, if it doesn't match, that would be on you.

Option two would be to rent a compressor and a sprayer and DIY. Preparation would be most important. Then a primer coat, then a paint coat, then a clear coat. If you have never painted a car before, I'll almost guarantee you, you will mess it and wind up taking it to a body shop to get it "fixed".

Good luck!

humfrz
One of the reasons im painting it myself is because the body shop f it up, after two weeks of getting the lip back from them the front lip paint was chipping away, along with them not paint matching it correctly.

TBH the lip is now painted and has never looked better.
Grey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grey86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-09-2019)