follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
Hachiroku

Old 01-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
The Sentinel
Project BRZ-Boosted Autos

Drives: MY14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation CHOOSING THE RIGHT TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER KIT - The Complete Guide

Hi all,

This is a question I get asked daily from my project BRZ build.

I've recently put together a detailed article explaining all of the factors that need to be considered when choosing a turbo or supercharger kit for your car.

Importantly. This is not a discussion on brands and which is better than the other. This is purely around the physics of how each forced induction type works.

Hoping this helps lots of people make informed decisions based on their needs and driving style.

ARTICLE HERE

Last edited by The Sentinel; 01-24-2017 at 09:33 PM.
The Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Sentinel For This Useful Post:
GsxrMe (01-25-2017), Phantobe (01-28-2017), rb6freak (01-27-2017), trigger happy (02-05-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Cool read. Kinda the basics.

Would have been cool if you included types of turbos and turbo setups like you did for types of superchargers. And maybe talked about sizes of superchargers and turbos comparing dynos. I would say that turbo selection is much more complicated than supercharger selection because of the sizes on compressor and exhaust housings plus type plus performance.

Would have also been cool if you mentioned electric forced induction too because it is a popular type.

Also, if this is a generic guide then a basic discussion of typical supporting mods would be good for newbies to know. If it is specific to the FA20 then the list could include at what general hp or boost level it is suggested to have supporting fuel mods and at what power might a built motor be required. That will also change opinions on what type of boost they have the budget for.

Maybe in a follow up you can talk about fuel/oxygen/cooling e85, nitrous, meth injection, water injection and octane fuels considering these are often used with forced induction or could be used alternatively to forced induction, and could influence someone's ultimate decision when choosing to modify their car.

Lastly, I would add to the positive list for turbos section that boost can be easily controlled and modified with a boost controller meaning it is possible to have a car that can have multiple levels of power at the turn of a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
The Sentinel (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #3
The Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Cool read. Kinda the basics.

Would have been cool if you included types of turbos and turbo setups like you did for types of superchargers. And maybe talked about sizes of superchargers and turbos comparing dynos. I would say that turbo selection is much more complicated than supercharger selection because of the sizes on compressor and exhaust housings plus type plus performance.

Would have also been cool if you mentioned electric forced induction too because it is a popular type.

Also, if this is a generic guide then a basic discussion of typical supporting mods would be good for newbies to know. If it is specific to the FA20 then the list could include at what general hp or boost level it is suggested to have supporting fuel mods and at what power might a built motor be required. That will also change opinions on what type of boost they have the budget for.

Maybe in a follow up you can talk about fuel/oxygen/cooling e85, nitrous, meth injection, water injection and octane fuels considering these are often used with forced induction or could be used alternatively to forced induction, and could influence someone's ultimate decision when choosing to modify their car.

Lastly, I would add to the positive list for turbos section that boost can be easily controlled and modified with a boost controller meaning it is possible to have a car that can have multiple levels of power at the turn of a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All great points! Thanks for the feedback. I didn't want to get too much in to the different types of turbos in this particular document as it was already long, and i did touch on the various setups and how they change the power curve, but yes, there is definitely more to be discussed in future articles.

I will add the point about boost control to the pros now
CxG (01-30-2017), Irace86 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Im happy you pointed out the compression comparison to boost requirements for power level output. For this very reason due to the limitation of my wastegate, I will be building a high comp (12.5:1) running Flex Fuel with my current kit to get the most out of what is available.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:10 AM   #5
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I think this should be stickied right under the buyers guide +/- $5,000 thread, or possibly merged with it.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Great article from just skimming through, gonna read the rest of my lunch break. Just had a question about compression ratio & supercharging (specific to the FA20).

For supercharging since amount of peak boost is determined by pulley size...for example, the HBP produces 12 PSI (JRSC). When building a engine for a supercharger wouldn't it be best to keep 12.5:1 compression since you can't control boost like you would with a turbo. Meaning that you can't pump up the boost and lower compression.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
The Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Great article from just skimming through, gonna read the rest of my lunch break. Just had a question about compression ratio & supercharging (specific to the FA20).

For supercharging since amount of peak boost is determined by pulley size...for example, the HBP produces 12 PSI (JRSC). When building a engine for a supercharger wouldn't it be best to keep 12.5:1 compression since you can't control boost like you would with a turbo. Meaning that you can't pump up the boost and lower compression.
It's always best to build the engine with your target boost requirements in mind, whether turbo or supercharger. That way you can ensure you're choosing the most appropriate pulley/turbo setup.

Regarding High Comp, lowering the comp to run more boost typically results in the same power as its the overall cylinder pressure that determines the power the engine can make.

It's almost always more beneficial to run higher comp with lower boost as this is typically more efficient. Lowering the comp and raising the boost is a very old-school approach and better suited to engines that don't have Direct Injection.
Phantobe (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
The Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
I think this should be stickied right under the buyers guide +/- $5,000 thread, or possibly merged with it.
@Hachiroku worth considering for sticky?

Tags
boost, choosing, guide, supercharger, turbo