follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #127
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Don't text and drive
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #128
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Don't text and drive
Thanks for the PSA!
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #129
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
False. An extended warranty purchased to cover the period after the manufacturer's warranty is most definitely a type of insurance. You pay another entity to assume part or all of your risk of mechanical failure. That's the very definition of insurance regardless of the likelihood of making a claim.

And my chances of recovering from my extended warranty are 100% -- twice. First with an engine replacement, then again with an oil leak. The probability of an event that has already happened is always 100%.

What confuses people about extended warranties is the terminology. A warranty is a legal promise that a product will meet certain criteria, along with an agreement to provide relief if it doesn't. Subaru warranties that your engine will last 60K miles and agrees to fix it if it doesn't. There's no transfer of risk, because the risk was Subaru's from the beginning.

The extended "warranty" really isn't a warranty, because Subaru never intended to promise that the engine would make it to 100K miles. Instead, they're now agreeing to accept your risk that it won't last that long in exchange for premium. That transfer of risk from the consumer to the manufacturer in exchange for consideration makes it insurance.

I work in the real estate title insurance business. Our agents perform a search of your home's title to make sure there's no problem with it before they will issue you a title insurance policy. Because they simply won't issue the policy if there's a problem, the likelihood that you will ever need to make a claim is very small, statistically near zero. That doesn't make it a warranty. The likelihood of the insured event occurring, however small, doesn't prevent it from being insurance.
I don't think he was saying it wasn't "insurance" just that the likelyhood of needing it is small.

Possible, yes. In your case, clearly so. In many others, maybe not. In the last 20 some years I've never bought a car where the extended warranty would have paid off so far. Clearly for some they work out but for most I'd guess that it's a waste of money on any reliable brand.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 AM   #130
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I don't think he was saying it wasn't "insurance" just that the likelyhood of needing it is small.

Possible, yes. In your case, clearly so. In many others, maybe not. In the last 20 some years I've never bought a car where the extended warranty would have paid off so far. Clearly for some they work out but for most I'd guess that it's a waste of money on any reliable brand.
My overarching point is that it's a risk estimate that is unique to each person, and therefore it's irresponsible to tell people they're foolish to buy the warranty when nobody has any idea what others' risk appetite or profile is.

For me the impact of mechanical failure was pretty large even though the likelihood was small. Additionally, when I bought my 2014 there were too few examples with any significant miles on them to reveal any potential issues with the platform. That made the uncertainty a lot greater than if the car had a decade long track record of going 400K miles with no problems. Even now I don't think there are enough high mileage examples on the road to adequately judge the reliability of the car.

So for me the extended warranty was relatively cheap insurance on a capital investment that I would have considered a good risk even if I hadn't needed to use it.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
AJ32162 (04-17-2019), atomicalex (07-23-2019), Dadhawk (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 02:44 AM   #131
spagti

Drives: Broken Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Don't text and drive
Yeah that's irresponsible.

Sent from my infotainment center using Carplay
spagti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spagti For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-24-2019), Dave-ROR (04-17-2019), gravitylover (04-17-2019), HachiRokuX (06-26-2021), Jordanwolf (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #132
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
False......
As @Dave-ROR pointed out, I wasn't saying extended warranties weren't a form of insurance, I was saying it isn't mitigating much real risk, at least for me. Of course others may have differing opinions and level of risks.

This is how it applies FOR me.

Extended warranties on anything electronic or other household goods provides no value. Most of these devices, if they are going to break, will do so within the manufacturer's warranty. If it does so after the warranty, I'd just as soon buy the newest/latest/greatest version anyway.

For autos, every car (new/used/new model/old model) I've ever owned has gone past the manufacturer's and the extended warranty period with no issue that cost more than what an extended warranty would have cost me. Because of that, I am willing to foot the bill should my next one break in the gap between manufacturer's warranty and the limits of an extended warranty.

IN MY CASE, an extended warranty isn't buying me much time anyway. On the FRS it would have at most covered an additional 24 months of driving.

Things that would cause me an unreasonable financial burden if lost, I insure. I also don't buy things I can't afford to do maintenance and repairs on. An extended warranty is "repair insurance" so in my case not needed.

Also, we differ in that I don't consider a vehicle a capital investment, it is a consumable like food or clothing. Maybe that is the real difference.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-21-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (04-17-2019), maslin (04-17-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #133
MrProa

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Ah man! I know how you feel. I had a similar accident with my '17 BRZ. Looked very similar and total repair bill was $14,500, no bent frame. Strip it and make a track car! Buy a used corolla or civic for a daily.
MrProa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #134
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Everyone claiming that self insurance is better financially obviously hasn't had to go to court after an accident. Hurt someone bad in a crash (including yourself) and you'll be paying far more than what insurance premiums for life would have cost you.

Even forgetting that, if you have a good financial planner (or smart with investments on your own) it's a bad financial decision unless insurance is insane where you are.

If you have to keep $40k/car liquid enough to get at any time that's $40k you can't have invested anywhere. Invest that $40k and you can be making more than what insurance would cost you every year. Even a 5% annual return is more than enough to cover my insurance, and that's not a fantastic return.

Same argument against buying cars in cash. If the interest rate on the loan is less than what I'm making on the investment where the money currently resides the loan makes way more sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (07-15-2019), FujiwaraTofu86 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #135
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Everyone claiming that self insurance is better financially obviously hasn't had to go to court after an accident. Hurt someone bad in a crash (including yourself) and you'll be paying far more than what insurance premiums for life would have cost you.

Even forgetting that, if you have a good financial planner (or smart with investments on your own) it's a bad financial decision unless insurance is insane where you are.

If you have to keep $40k/car liquid enough to get at any time that's $40k you can't have invested anywhere. Invest that $40k and you can be making more than what insurance would cost you every year. Even a 5% annual return is more than enough to cover my insurance, and that's not a fantastic return.

Same argument against buying cars in cash. If the interest rate on the loan is less than what I'm making on the investment where the money currently resides the loan makes way more sense.
I somewhat agree with this. Although lately I have been just paying my mortgage down because 4.25% guaranteed is just easier than stressing out all year to make a slightly better 6% in stocks. I'm also really busy flying jets now though and I do have lots of insurance just because I don't have the money to self insure anyway. I think if I had a cool mil sitting around though paying an insurance company may not be worth it. I mean you could still make interest on that money while not paying the insurance company. Plus thinking about diversification it's not a bad call since you can always start insurance whenever and use the money for something else. 99% of the people on this forum, myself included, I don't think are in a position to self insure anyway. It's not worth it if you have EXACTLY $40k but if you have $400k cash in your asset pool of $4 mil using 10% to self insure might not be terrible while it sits in a (low) interest generating account. That's a different world than most people live in though. Most of the people I know who have the money to self insure don't drive much themselves anyway. They have some fancy cars but don't really use them much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #136
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
If anything, the ultra rich are less likely to leave money sitting around when it could be making them more money. That's how they got to be ultra rich in the first place (forgetting anyone born into it and just handed millions).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-26-2021), p1l0t (07-16-2019), Tcoat (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #137
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I don't consider a vehicle a capital investment, it is a consumable like food or clothing. Maybe that is the real difference.

Exactly! The car you drive and the house you live in is not an investment. it is a cost!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #138
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Exactly! The car you drive and the house you live in is not an investment. it is a cost!
The house you live in is an investment as it is expected to rise in value. Unfortunately this doesn’t always work out so it is a bad investment but an investment all the same.
Grady (07-17-2019), wparsons (07-18-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #139
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I never understood why people think cars are investments. I think mostly non car enthusiasts have this mentality. I love driving my car and not once does it cross my mind that it's depreciating in value with every mile. It's cool if it's like your weekend car or whatever, but to deliberately not drive it out of fear of not making a profit is kinda dumb.

Houses can be investments. People literally make a living out of "flipping houses" lol but cars are definitely costs. I'd rather have fun and drive the shit out of it and make great memories with it rather than get an extra grand when trade in time comes.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (07-16-2019), Tcoat (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #140
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
I never understood why people think cars are investments. I think mostly non car enthusiasts have this mentality. I love driving my car and not once does it cross my mind that it's depreciating in value with every mile. It's cool if it's like your weekend car or whatever, but to deliberately not drive it out of fear of not making a profit is kinda dumb.

Houses can be investments. People literally make a living out of "flipping houses" lol but cars are definitely costs. I'd rather have fun and drive the shit out of it and make great memories with it rather than get an extra grand when trade in time comes.
If someone gave me a Lamborghini tomorrow it would still get like 10k mi a year on it until I couldn't afford to repair it anymore.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (07-16-2019)