follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitJerk View Post
I'm on the fence about whether I should even respond; Im equally as conflicted about which response. Ohh hell, I give both.

1. Are you insinuating that I did everything you wouldn't do because I'm some schmuck whom doesn't know any better? I could give a rats ass what you want or how you would do things. I chose this car after months long consideration, the license plate was of no concern to me.
That is, until I saw what was underneath. Two simple holes is usually what I would expect.
You sir, come off as a self absorbed jackass....

2. Cool story bro...

I'm feeling pretty good about the first one, the more I think about it.
You need to take a chill pill. I think he was just saying that he feels the same way about dealers drilling into his bumpers, and he understands how upset you are that your dealer drilled yours.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #30
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
AIrony here: I'm here to pick me up the car, and they drilled the bumper. God dammit.
Noooo!
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
You need to take a chill pill. I think he was just saying that he feels the same way about dealers drilling into his bumpers, and he understands how upset you are that your dealer drilled yours.
Perhaps I jumped to conclusions, but it sure comes off that way. My bad if that was indeed his intent.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #32
Rawhyde

Drives: B4C Camaro, 2005 MINI JCW, Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Thanks Jidonsu! You got what I was trying to say.

Quote:
I'm on the fence about whether I should even respond; Im equally as conflicted about which response. Ohh hell, I give both.

1. Are you insinuating that I did everything you wouldn't do because I'm some schmuck whom doesn't know any better? I could give a rats ass what you want or how you would do things. I chose this car after months long consideration, the license plate was of no concern to me.
That is, until I saw what was underneath. Two simple holes is usually what I would expect.
You sir, come off as a self absorbed jackass....

2. Cool story bro...

I'm feeling pretty good about the first one, the more I think about it.
I didn't mean it to be insulting to you at all. It sorta made me see red at the fact that a stealership so bound up in their rules, regulations, and standard procedures would mangle someone's brand new car without bothering to ask the new owner. Actually, that's not entirely true. To be honest, it pissed me all the way off that some hack would damage a brand new car like that without having the common courtesy to even ask the customer if he wanted the tag mount installed. I'm on your side entirely, and I have nothing but comtempt for car dealers who do this sort of thing.

My parents bought me a brand new Cavalier back in 1984. (Dark blue, 4 speed manual, blacked out trim) It wasn't much of a car by today's standards, but I was a senior in high school, I had just gotten a new car, and I was very proud of it. The first weekend I had it, my Daddy and I were out in the cold washing and waxing it. He commented that it'd be easier to wax if we removed the front tag mount...might even look better without it. I took it off, and it was even worse than what they did to your car. There was a 1-1/2" hole cut into the bumper cover so that a bolt could be screwed into the structure behind. (no digital cameras back then...wish I had a pic) We were both furious about it. I vowed then and there that I'd make sure that I never had that kind of surprise again. Many years later, when I graduated college, I ordered and bought my new Camaro. Like you, this was something I had researched extensively. I was determined to buy a black B4C Camaro with a 6 speed manual, leather seats and all the bells & whistles. I had to go to 23 Chevrolet dealers with $7,500 cash in my pocket before I found one willing to order what I wanted instead of taking "the nice red one with T-Tops, cloth seats, and automatic" off the lot. During that time, I got a lifetime supply of dealerships telling me that I didn't really want a manual transmission car with so many options, or that they knew better than me what car would be "better for me".

I'm sorry if my tone in my earlier post was off-putting, but it was directed at pompous car dealers making decisions better left to the customer. After all, they need us more than we need them...

I may be a self absorbed jackass, but I'm a LOVEABLE self absorbed jackass that's firmly in your corner!
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rawhyde For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (08-17-2012), F3dzo (08-26-2012), Subie (08-18-2012), Username (08-18-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #33
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post
Thanks Jidonsu! You got what I was trying to say.

I didn't mean it to be insulting to you at all. It sorta made me see red at the fact that a stealership so bound up in their rules, regulations, and standard procedures would mangle someone's brand new car without bothering to ask the new owner. Actually, that's not entirely true. To be honest, it pissed me all the way off that some hack would damage a brand new car like that without having the common courtesy to even ask the customer if he wanted the tag mount installed. I'm on your side entirely, and I have nothing but comtempt for car dealers who do this sort of thing.

My parents bought me a brand new Cavalier back in 1984. (Dark blue, 4 speed manual, blacked out trim) It wasn't much of a car by today's standards, but I was a senior in high school, I had just gotten a new car, and I was very proud of it. The first weekend I had it, my Daddy and I were out in the cold washing and waxing it. He commented that it'd be easier to wax if we removed the front tag mount...might even look better without it. I took it off, and it was even worse than what they did to your car. There was a 1-1/2" hole cut into the bumper cover so that a bolt could be screwed into the structure behind. (no digital cameras back then...wish I had a pic) We were both furious about it. I vowed then and there that I'd make sure that I never had that kind of surprise again. Many years later, when I graduated college, I ordered and bought my new Camaro. Like you, this was something I had researched extensively. I was determined to buy a black B4C Camaro with a 6 speed manual, leather seats and all the bells & whistles. I had to go to 23 Chevrolet dealers with $7,500 cash in my pocket before I found one willing to order what I wanted instead of taking "the nice red one with T-Tops, cloth seats, and automatic" off the lot. During that time, I got a lifetime supply of dealerships telling me that I didn't really want a manual transmission car with so many options, or that they knew better than me what car would be "better for me".

I'm sorry if my tone in my earlier post was off-putting, but it was directed at pompous car dealers making decisions better left to the customer. After all, they need us more than we need them...

I may be a self absorbed jackass, but I'm a LOVEABLE self absorbed jackass that's firmly in your corner!
Thank you sir. I apologize. I love you....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CircuitJerk For This Useful Post:
F3dzo (08-26-2012), Username (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #34
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Luckily my dealer is NOT retarded and grimmspeed FTW!

BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #35
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I was not sure if I wanted them to drill the bumper or not. But I figured whatever, I need a front plate where I live and I can't really deal with the asymmetry of the tow hook plate holders so I figured what's the harm in a few holes. At the end of the day, yeah it sucks to know there are some holes there but I can live with it, the rest of the car is sexy enough
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (08-19-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #36
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Noooo!
HOWEVER I have a BRZ, so it isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm going to go there on Monday and see if they'll swap my bumper with the other SWP they have on the lot.

I gotta say I was kinda tight, especially since I already bought the grimmspeed relocator kit...
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #37
FloWin

Drives: 07 GC & 07Jetta
Where did you buy it? I looked at a couple FR-S here in St. Charles and non of them had a plate mounted even though they had them on the lot for a while.
FloWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #38
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
I was not sure if I wanted them to drill the bumper or not. But I figured whatever, I need a front plate where I live and I can't really deal with the asymmetry of the tow hook plate holders so I figured what's the harm in a few holes. At the end of the day, yeah it sucks to know there are some holes there but I can live with it, the rest of the car is sexy enough

I like the asymmetrical plate placement personally! The biggest reason I wanted to do it this way so I can take the front plate off and have a clean front end if I want. I'm not sure how it works "up north" but in NorCal most cops don't even care about front plates so I wanted to be able to take it off easily. On my MKV GTI I ran around with no front plate for 1.5 (and drove 40K miles) without a front plate ticket.

The BIGGEST reason I even run the front plate is not for the traffic cops or highway patrol, most of them don't give a shit about front plates. It's because the major cites (San Jose, San Francisco) will just write you a parking ticket for no front plate even if you put $$$ in the meeter. Those are $40 tickets which is $15 MORE than the no front plate ticket from a cop!!!!!!!

Plus I'm sure it will save me some hassle at some point.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #39
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

So, I didn't have it in me at the show yesterday. The more I thought about it, I'm over it anyway. Seemed like a ****ish move to make such a stink at a car show. Not worth ruining everyone else's day that didn't really have anything to do with it.

I have other plans more tactful in nature that should net better results, and more to my liking....

This thread's intention was purely informational and partly a rant.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #40
Duo

Drives: 86 pending move
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I don't have a car yet, but I'm definitely with all of you and think the twins look better without a front plate. Unfortunately, I won't have the option of telling the dealer not to mount a front plate bracket where I plan to buy cause it'll be in another country.

Came in to see if there were standardized holes they're meant to drill into kind of like the dimples in the front of a 350Z bumper. Guess that's not the case. Crud.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #41
pinoyplaya

Drives: WRB MT-BRZ LMTD
Anyone found a workaround on the BRZ?
Drove the car off the lot at 8/6/12 @ 8:06 PM
Traded for Black 2013 Camaro 2SS RS
pinoyplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #42
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S