follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #1079
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j123ic View Post
For those of you with idle / drivability issues, check your fuel injectors. They are directional and should only be installed at a fixed clocked position. There's a tab on the fuel rail that aligns with the fuel injector connectors.

If it's not clocked in the correct direction, the fuel spray will be facing the wrong direction and may hit the walls of the runner instead of the center of the valve.
What about dw injectors? I also have the non dw adapters and i belive it limits what whay they can sit in there.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #1080
NahumCC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
It's weird, after a bit of driving, the ECU learns out the stalling. It still hunts a little and dips low enough to kill DRLs for a minute though. I don't get it. Finished my gauge install though, so that's a win.

Lighting is WIP, don't judge yet.
Nice setup. What are you using to display to adaption data and sensor feed on the head unit? Also is that your stock head unit?

I've been curious if something like this was built into our head units for the engineers. On the T7 Saabs you could unlock this in the LCD display of the Saab Information Display (SID). The CANBUS was into every single system of the SAAB and you could scroll though and end list list of data and do live tuning if you had the right equipment though the OBD II port.
NahumCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #1081
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Nice setup. What are you using to display to adaption data and sensor feed on the head unit? Also is that your stock head unit?

I've been curious if something like this was built into our head units for the engineers. On the T7 Saabs you could unlock this in the LCD display of the Saab Information Display (SID). The CANBUS was into every single system of the SAAB and you could scroll though and end list list of data and do live tuning if you had the right equipment though the OBD II port.
Subaru engineers wouldn't care about that when they can hook a laptop up. It doesn't make economical sense. The head unit fully runs Android, not a phone tether.

That part is also pretty work in progress. It's running Torque which is a terrible app compared to DashCommand and I can't get the adapter to run with DashCommand properly so I'm checking another one... probably USB this time for latency purposes. The current reader is bluetooth... it's pretty quick surprisingly.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #1082
NahumCC

Garage
Quote:
Subaru engineers wouldn't care about that when they can hook a laptop up. It doesn't make economical sense. The head unit fully runs Android, not a phone tether.

That part is also pretty work in progress. It's running Torque which is a terrible app compared to DashCommand and I can't get the adapter to run with DashCommand properly so I'm checking another one... probably USB this time for latency purposes. The current reader is bluetooth... it's pretty quick surprisingly.
Do you know if there is a way to get the 10 series FR-S head unit to do that?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #1083
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Not possible.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 AM   #1084
NahumCC

Garage
Quote:
Not possible.
Found that out after doing a little research. I didn't realize that was an aftermarket head. However the way the OBD2 connector is setup and with how large the transmitter is that would just constantly be into my leg I feel.

Oh well. Snazzy non the less.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:00 AM   #1085
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Found that out after doing a little research. I didn't realize that was an aftermarket head. However the way the OBD2 connector is setup and with how large the transmitter is that would just constantly be into my leg I feel.

Oh well. Snazzy non the less.
That's why you use a right angle plug so it doesn't.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #1086
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If it's like the UK standard fit unit, you can feed an external android device into the video input:

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/foru...topic4885.html

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #1087
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
A big thank you to Neal at The Racers' Line for giving me some of his time today to teach me data logging, which seems to be missing from instructions, mysteriously

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
clayrush (03-26-2016), funwheeldrive (03-26-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:48 PM   #1088
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
So, I'm not sure my SC coolant loop is bled properly. I used the spill free funnel when I filled, and plugged the overflow line.

I initially filled the funnel until it sat at half full with the car off. Started the car, added coolant as it idled until it stayed steady at half and the pump noises stabilized. Removed the funnel, capped it off, took the plug out of the overflow line, and drove the car. The pump was making funny noises the next time I started, dipping low, then high, then low, then high, but it always stabilizes again after 10-20 seconds. It just sounds like it's struggling a little at first. I did the fill/bleed process with the funnel again just to double check but nothing seemed to really happen. The fluid is kind of hazy when it's running though, but that doesn't go away even after 30 minutes of running steady.

The surge tank is always at half-ish when the car as parked, and when I uncap the line, I tend to get coolant trying to overflow out of the system. I dunno. Any thoughts on this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #1089
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
So, I'm not sure my SC coolant loop is bled properly. I used the spill free funnel when I filled, and plugged the overflow line.

I initially filled the funnel until it sat at half full with the car off. Started the car, added coolant as it idled until it stayed steady at half and the pump noises stabilized. Removed the funnel, capped it off, took the plug out of the overflow line, and drove the car. The pump was making funny noises the next time I started, dipping low, then high, then low, then high, but it always stabilizes again after 10-20 seconds. It just sounds like it's struggling a little at first. I did the fill/bleed process with the funnel again just to double check but nothing seemed to really happen. The fluid is kind of hazy when it's running though, but that doesn't go away even after 30 minutes of running steady.

The surge tank is always at half-ish when the car as parked, and when I uncap the line, I tend to get coolant trying to overflow out of the system. I dunno. Any thoughts on this?
Sounds normal to me. If you look at the filler reservoir, there should be a "cold" (around middle) and "hot" (near the bottom) line. Mine is usually at the middle when not running and near the bottom when it is running.

Regarding the "funny noises" during start-up, I got this from the bleeding procedure in the manual:

Quote:
NOTE: During water pump start-up, it is normal for a slight pulsation to occur. Once the pump has reached its maximum cycle speed, no pulsations should be present.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-28-2016), Luftwaffel (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #1090
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Sounds normal to me. If you look at the filler reservoir, there should be a "cold" (around middle) and "hot" (near the bottom) line. Mine is usually at the middle when not running and near the bottom when it is running.

Regarding the "funny noises" during start-up, I got this from the bleeding procedure in the manual:
Ah alright, thought I was going crazy. I think that's one of the pages I lost during one of my "coolant fucking everywhere" phases of the build.
djdnz (03-28-2016), Silverfox (07-15-2020)
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #1091
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

All of those details sound about what mine does too. It sucks a little air at startup and is noisy then goes quiet after a little bit as the pump pull 100% coolant. Mine also needs to be filled when running so it doesn't overflow, then capped before stopping. The fact that you have coolant in the overflow after it's off is a good sign it's bled right.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-28-2016), Luftwaffel (03-28-2016), paiceyfan (03-28-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #1092
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'll be helping install this kit for a friend next weekend, and was wondering from those that have done the install....

Do you think its possible to connect the coolant lines to the unit before setting it down on the block, and with 3 people carefully guiding everything down?
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote