follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
mulekr1

Drives: 15' Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P0087 code, bad e85?

Hi around 3-4 days ago I was driving to pick someone up and earlier that day I chilled up with some really cheap e85 (1.75) and I drove the car all the way from way over full to 3/4 tank. I beat on the car all the way on the highway and then downshifted when I got off the exit and the car started bucking and limiting the rpm to 3,000. Car threw a code of p0087, and some air fuel and lean codes. The lean codes i think was from the bad gas as now I pumped all the remaining e85 lit and put two gallons of 93 and a seafoam and Techron in the tank. It’s idling much better but still limiting itself. I have very limited technical skill so any help you guys can give would be helpful.
Car has 12,000 miles and is a 2015 just for accuracy purposes
mulekr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:32 AM   #2
classybum

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Are you running an e85 tune? Which one?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
classybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:52 AM   #3
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Need LTFT, AFR etc- do a logging run with OFT, make sure fueling info is included. I am assuming you're on an E85 tune, not FFK. If you run E85, you really need to use Torque Pro for when this happens.

This sounds to me like you may have a hardware issue, but no way of telling

Quote:
P0087 is a general OBD2 diagnostic trouble code that indicates a fault within the fuel delivery system. This code is set once the ECM has detected low fuel pressure at the fuel pressure sensor.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
BrQ

Drives: 13 BRZ
This is why you get a ffk instead of trying to save money.
BrQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrQ View Post

Rubbish

P0087 is a fuel presdure issue

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0087
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
guybo (03-27-2018), Teseo (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulekr1 View Post
Hi around 3-4 days ago I was driving to pick someone up and earlier that day I chilled up with some really cheap e85 (1.75) and I drove the car all the way from way over full to 3/4 tank. I beat on the car all the way on the highway and then downshifted when I got off the exit and the car started bucking and limiting the rpm to 3,000. Car threw a code of p0087, and some air fuel and lean codes. The lean codes i think was from the bad gas as now I pumped all the remaining e85 lit and put two gallons of 93 and a seafoam and Techron in the tank. It’s idling much better but still limiting itself. I have very limited technical skill so any help you guys can give would be helpful.
Car has 12,000 miles and is a 2015 just for accuracy purposes
P0087

Is fuel pressure issue

On these cars only high pressure Direct injection fuel presdure is monitored

So code indicates problem with high pressure fuel pump

Its possible your low pressure fuel pump in tank is bad oryou have clogged filter and this in turn is causing fuel starvation and hence low pressure readings to high pressure pump.

Run the e85 out and flash back to petrol tune, confirm you still gave same issue on stock tune with petrol, take it back if its is still under warranty, new high presdure fuel pumps are not cheap

Only other thung would be if you have messec wuth the DI computer under Bonnett check its mounting bolts are tight
Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
mulekr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrQ View Post
Don’t exactly know what a flex fuel kit would’ve done with bad e85. I’ve spent quite a bit on my car in more important places as my car is NA with pretty basic mods.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
mulekr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
P0087

Is fuel pressure issue

On these cars only high pressure Direct injection fuel presdure is monitored

So code indicates problem with high pressure fuel pump

Its possible your low pressure fuel pump in tank is bad oryou have clogged filter and this in turn is causing fuel starvation and hence low pressure readings to high pressure pump.

Run the e85 out and flash back to petrol tune, confirm you still gave same issue on stock tune with petrol, take it back if its is still under warranty, new high presdure fuel pumps are not cheap

Only other thung would be if you have messec wuth the DI computer under Bonnett check its mounting bolts are tight
Car doesn’t have warranty so that’s the bad news. I truly hope it isn’t the high pressure fuel pump.
I flashed back to the 93 tune and the e85 tune both of them are idling much better but same results. I might let the car run till it dies maybe there’s some bad e85 left inside
Should I start with changing my low pressure fuel pump as it’s cheaper and I might go forced induction?
The high pressure fuel pump is expensive I have another brz that my dad owns he’s willing to give me his pump as he’s doing a 2jz swap with his car. Where exactly is it located and how hard is it to change?

Last edited by mulekr1; 03-27-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Car doesn’t have warranty so that’s the bad news. I truly hope it isn’t the high pressure fuel pump.
I flashed back to the 93 tune and the e85 tune both of them are idling much better but same results. I might let the car run till it dies maybe there’s some bad e85 left inside
Should I start with changing my low pressure fuel pump as it’s cheaper and I might go forced induction?
The high pressure fuel pump is expensive I have another brz that my dad owns he’s willing to give me his pump as he’s doing a 2jz swap with his car. Where exactly is it located and how hard is it to change?
I would not start randomly changing stuff.
You need to get a proper diagnosis done and someone to measure the pressure of low pressure fuel pump.

Maybe remove low pressure fuel pump from tank and check filter is not clogged.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
mulekr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I would not start randomly changing stuff.
You need to get a proper diagnosis done and someone to measure the pressure of low pressure fuel pump.

Maybe remove low pressure fuel pump from tank and check filter is not clogged.
That’s the one in the back seat? I don’t exactly know how to check if it’s clogged I’ll try to figure it out though.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
If you play parts darts and start replacing things having no clue what the actual problem is, not only will you find the most expensive possible way to fix the issue, but you will spawn even more issues off the orig problem.

Going FI? Are you shitting me? You have a known problem in the fuel system so without knowing what it is, you're going to put even more stress on it? Most likely you have a weak fuel pump, or a restriction in the system and the extra duty caused by running E85 stressed the weakened part and you got the CEL as a warning.

1) find out what the problem is 2) fix it 3) then think about going FI
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
mulekr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
If you play parts darts and start replacing things having no clue what the actual problem is, not only will you find the most expensive possible way to fix the issue, but you will spawn even more issues off the orig problem.

Going FI? Are you shitting me? You have a known problem in the fuel system so without knowing what it is, you're going to put even more stress on it? Most likely you have a weak fuel pump, or a restriction in the system and the extra duty caused by running E85 stressed the weakened part and you got the CEL as a warning.

1) find out what the problem is 2) fix it 3) then think about going FI
When I said I was thinking of going FI I should’ve been more clear. I have a kit that I already bought and I 100% intend to fix it that’s why I made this thread and so far steve99 is the only guy to help. I know I have to fix the problem, I’m asking what to target first. I’m going to switch my whole fuel pump hangar assembly with my fathers car and that would eliminate low flow fuel pump and a clogged fuel filter from bad e85
Old 03-28-2018, 01:24 AM   #13
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are you running stock fuel pump?
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #14
mulekr1