follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #743
wooly35

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S LS3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-Colin View Post
A/C is really the next hurdle to tackle. With our small unit I can command the factory A/C clutch, but I'm guessing most people will use the GM ECU wiring for A/C as it will work better for load compensation etc. The real hassle of selling a small unit like this without a full harness for the vehicle is that I don't get to control how everyone converts certain sections of the swap. I'm trying to work with what most people are doing
ah, I see. well I will be getting the wiring harness that matches the crate engine I purchased so I can use that for the A/C once I have the need for it
Old 12-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #744
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly35 View Post
ah, I see. well I will be getting the wiring harness that matches the crate engine I purchased so I can use that for the A/C once I have the need for it
I'm figuring that most if not all people converting will be using the GM PCM for A/C clutch commanding. For All 58x PCM's I have the ability to command the A/C clutch via CAN so this won't be an issue. E40 shouldn't be hard I just haven't taken the time to sit down and figure it out yet.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #745
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Bunch of E40 stuff came together this morning. Might have cruise control and other advanced features just using our small device. Testing with Rick once we get some other issues sorted out.
civicdrivr (12-05-2016), DustinS (12-05-2016), ILLSMOQ (12-06-2016), Sportsguy83 (12-06-2016), wooly35 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #746
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
So this ever gonna come out?
Yes. They have a lot more on their plate than just this kit. Patience is key.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #747
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Bunch of E40 stuff came together this morning. Might have cruise control and other advanced features just using our small device. Testing with Rick once we get some other issues sorted out.
Each day this is looking more and more like my solution
Old 12-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #748
RGK-BRZ

Drives: '15 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've been focusing on getting our kit out in the wild ASAP as Vorshlag seems pretty close to release.

It's looking like we might have a few different "styles" of kits depending on what people want. The hardware will all be very similar but will have different software. I'd like to hear from other people here as to what they would like to see. I've probably already talked to a lot of you, but it might be worthwhile to hear more.

At the basic level, I've heard a lot of people just want things like power steering to work. I'll provide a module that will translate whatever signal you want from a CAN ECU to the CAN bus of the vehicle. This will include the removal of the ECU located in the passenger footwell area. This will provide functional power steering, tachometer, coolant temperature, and fuel gauge. Nothing more.

Next we will have a package that will retain the factory ECU. This is very VERY vital for any "advanced" functionality to work as things like the brake and clutch switches report to the engine control unit. Our little device used in Rick's conversion does not have additional inputs to handle all of these extra inputs so we rely on the CAN signaling from the factory ECU to report all of these to our module. With this extra step we will be able to integrate things like cruise control, factory fan control through the existing wiring, A/C, etc.

After that we really need to move up to our larger unit which will bump the cost. I'm not quite sure what everyone would need from the larger unit, but it's there. I'm also debating making custom software for everyone who contacts me, but this will be very cumbersome.

Just keeping you all in the loop!

Colin,

Very interested in what you're developing here for my 2015 BRZ Premium. I'm planning to use the Vorshlag hardware, and considering using the GM 376/525 crate motor along with the matching GM ECU package. For sure, I want to keep all of the factory gauges, power steering, A/C, and ABS. Ideally, I'd like to have the option of keeping the factory traction & stability control systems, as well as the factory switches to turn them off at will.

Thanks for all your efforts on this project!

Greg
Old 12-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #749
Floggin Tires

Drives: ZC6, Junk of ALL sorts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK-BRZ View Post
Colin,

Very interested in...
...ect.

Greg
X2,
word for word same boat.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #750
Dfyfzx

Drives: JRSC C38 HBP E85 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Vorshlag needs to create a T56 swap kit. They got a v8 and a beefy transmission in the chassis already so a tranny kit seems easy peasy at this point. I'm losing 4th gear as we speak. Been in contact with Spencer Fab already. First company to market with a bolt in transmission swap solution is going to make some bank!

Closed Thread