follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Clutch Squeaks at the end of travel... clutch fork?

Here's a video clearly demonstrating the issue:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TWE33PRVs"]2016 Subaru BRZ Clutch Squeak - YouTube[/ame]

Took it to the dealer today and the mechanic tried to explain to me that I was hearing a spring squeaking and it was nothing to worry about... the only springs I'm aware of are behind the pedal and the sound is definitely not coming from inside the cabin or anywhere near the steering column. It sounds like it's coming from the clutch fork in the middle of the engine bay right on the transmission, and the sound is way louder if you're under the car or have your head under the hood.

What can I do to fix this? I'm under full warranty and the best advice the tech could give me was call 1-800-SUBARU3 and complain... yeah thanks that helps me out a lot.

Last edited by treminaor; 11-23-2016 at 11:34 PM.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Mechanic is wrong. Transmission must be removed. Clutch fork and TOB must be removed, cleaned, and regreased at the appropriate points. I have experienced this and repaired it myself.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...82#post2689582
Old 11-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Mechanic is wrong. Transmission must be removed. Clutch fork and TOB must be removed, cleaned, and regreased at the appropriate points. I have experienced this and repaired it myself.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...82#post2689582
Do you think the throwout bearing will be damaged at this point or just dry?

The mechanic insisted that it wasn't the TOB or I would hear a constant squeak following my release of the clutch all the way back to resting position...

I'm so tired of mechanics ignoring advice - it's a waste of both of our time and I don't just have unlimited time to go without a car as an employed college student.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by treminaor View Post
Do you think the throwout bearing will be damaged at this point or just dry?

The mechanic insisted that it wasn't the TOB or I would hear a constant squeak following my release of the clutch all the way back to resting position...

I'm so tired of mechanics ignoring advice - it's a waste of both of our time and I don't just have unlimited time to go without a car as an employed college student.
Nothing wrong with your TOB yet. Once you start getting the crunchy feeling at the bottom of the pedal throw, that's the gritty mess gouging up the snout and the bushing on the TOB carrier.

The squeak isn't actually the TOB. It's the main pivot of the clutch fork. But the botttom line is it all dries out and what used to be grease cakes up.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Nothing wrong with your TOB yet. Once you start getting the crunchy feeling at the bottom of the pedal throw, that's the gritty mess gouging up the snout and the bushing on the TOB carrier.

The squeak isn't actually the TOB. It's the main pivot of the clutch fork. But the botttom line is it all dries out and what used to be grease cakes up.
I have noticed a crunchy resistance in the pedal that matches up with the timing of the squeak, but it seems minor so far.

Why is all the grease dried up after only 14k miles...?
Old 11-24-2016, 01:24 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I have noticed a crunchy resistance in the pedal that matches up with the timing of the squeak, but it seems minor so far.

Why is all the grease dried up after only 14k miles...?
Read through my posts in the thread I linked. I do my best to explain what I believe to be an inappropriate choice of lubricant.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:56 AM   #7
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Read through my posts in the thread I linked. I do my best to explain what I believe to be an inappropriate choice of lubricant.
I've read through that whole thread, lots of interesting info there and your photos were very helpful.

So basically all the dried up lube sludge needs to be cleaned out and replaced with better lubricant. How can I ensure the dealer isn't going to just go and put the same shitty lube back on it again... where I end up with this problem again in 15k miles? Is this something should do myself in the garage even though I have the full warranty and the prepaid service package? I've never dropped a trans but I've replaced suspension, done oil changes, dropped the front bumper off, etc..

I don't have a lift obviously, just 4 jack stands and a low profile jack.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #8
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
How can I ensure the dealer isn't going to just go and put the same shitty lube back on it again... where I end up with this problem again in 15k miles? Is this something should do myself in the garage even though I have the full warranty and the prepaid service package? I've never dropped a trans but I've replaced suspension, done oil changes, dropped the front bumper off, etc..

I don't have a lift obviously, just 4 jack stands and a low profile jack.
*sigh* I don't know the long term answer. I have an extended warranty that was included with the CPO package even though I didn't want it.

Trans drop is a big step up. Tough choice. Maybe you can try a different dealer. @Tcoat has had good luck with dealer service. I have experienced nothing but frustration every single time.

I don't have any fancy tools either. A floor jack and stands are enough for just about everything.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
*sigh* I don't know the long term answer. I have an extended warranty that was included with the CPO package even though I didn't want it.

Trans drop is a big step up. Tough choice. Maybe you can try a different dealer. @Tcoat has had good luck with dealer service. I have experienced nothing but frustration every single time.

I don't have any fancy tools either. A floor jack and stands are enough for just about everything.
In the meantime I've been reading a DIY on dropping the transmission and it looks like about as much fun as I expected, lol. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume a Subaru tech isn't authorized to use any lubricant not approved by Subaru themselves... which means I'm SOL long-term if I don't do this myself.

What lubricant would you recommend as the best for this case? Anything else I should go ahead and do while the trans is dropped? Any good little aftermarket parts? I had the trans fluid changed already so that's irrelevant.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:36 AM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
In the meantime I've been reading a DIY on dropping the transmission and it looks like about as much fun as I expected, lol. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume a Subaru tech isn't authorized to use any lubricant not approved by Subaru themselves... which means I'm SOL long-term if I don't do this myself.

What lubricant would you recommend as the best for this case? Anything else I should go ahead and do while the trans is dropped? Any good little aftermarket parts? I had the trans fluid changed already so that's irrelevant.
I personally don't buy into the weak fork theory, especially for a stock clutch. They're breaking because the TOB eventually binds on the snout. I dug into mine because I started feeling it.

I've driven mine for about five months since I cleaned and re-lubed everything with the #2 red extra tacky. Still feels fine but I don't know if it will hold out. It's just a trial run at this point.

Maybe the answer is to call the Subaru hotline.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:01 AM   #11
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Just cant trust the dealership mechanic....I am taking my car in for axle noise and morning clutch squeak noise...good luck to me..
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
So, does it make the noise when running? Many parts on a car make weird sounds when not being used as designed. The clutch fork and TOB are supposed to function with the engine spinning not with it off. That noise would not worry me at all unless it happened when the car was running.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So, does it make the noise when running? Many parts on a car make weird sounds when not being used as designed. The clutch fork and TOB are supposed to function with the engine spinning not with it off. That noise would not worry me at all unless it happened when the car was running.
Good point.

@treminaor , if either the clutch doesn't squeak or you can't hear it, with the engine running and changing gears while going down the road ...... I wouldn't worry about it ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good point.

@treminaor , if either the clutch doesn't squeak or you can't hear it, with the engine running and changing gears while going down the road ...... I wouldn't worry about it ......

humfrz
Gents, this is one time I'll emphatically disagree with you. The pivots are bone dry. I'll leave it at that.