follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 02-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #10767
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Did some Driftin'

Snow Driftin, that is!
Looks more like you're part of the problem in snowy/icey conditions. Absolutely no reason to do that on a highway with other cars and an embankment like that. Traction control tried to stop you from being an idiot, but the idiot in you prevailed. Go to an open parking lot. Maybe don't tailgate the car infront of you in conditions like that either.....
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #10768
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
did my first mod ever!

Perrin 2.5 resonated catback exhaust~
Looks good! Any videos of it? Also, how was the install for you? I'm waiting on my ARK system to arrive and debating whether I can do this myself or have to go to a friend's shop and do it..
Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #10769
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s30series View Post
Looks more like you're part of the problem in snowy/icey conditions. Absolutely no reason to do that on a highway with other cars and an embankment like that. Traction control tried to stop you from being an idiot, but the idiot in you prevailed. Go to an open parking lot. Maybe don't tailgate the car infront of you in conditions like that either.....

Relax @s30series, It was unintentional. When I left my house in the morning, there was no snow and the weather report in my area was not calling for any either. 2.5 hours and 140 miles later it was a different story. I was a good 3 seconds behind the guy in front of me when he hit his brakes and stayed in the travel lane until the last second. I never touched my brakes (because I know what happens when you do in those conditions), the problem came when I attempted to accelerate (I was also in Snow mode with an A/T). Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 are absolutely horrible in these conditions (even though they are sold as "All Season".. .lies!) so as soon as I barely touched the gas, the ass end kicked out. The second attempt to re-accelerate, it kicked out again but I could not recover, so I just rode it out and into the ditch I went.

I do agree with you though, my BRZ had no business in those road conditions, the twins are just not made for that stuff.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
twag4 (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #10770
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Relax @s30series, It was unintentional. When I left my house in the morning, there was no snow and the weather report in my area was not calling for any either. 2.5 hours and 140 miles later it was a different story. I was a good 3 seconds behind the guy in front of me when he hit his brakes and stayed in the travel lane until the last second. I never touched my brakes (because I know what happens when you do in those conditions), the problem came when I attempted to accelerate (I was also in Snow mode with an A/T). Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 are absolutely horrible in these conditions (even though they are sold as "All Season".. .lies!) so as soon as I barely touched the gas, the ass end kicked out. The second attempt to re-accelerate, it kicked out again but I could not recover, so I just rode it out and into the ditch I went.

I do agree with you though, my BRZ had no business in those road conditions, the twins are just not made for that stuff.
I have the PS A/S 3's and I think they are great. I haven't driven them on snow like that yet though.

Good thing is, you're safe.

Now i'm debating whether or not I should get the Michelin PSS for the Summer or just stick with these...
BirdTRD (02-28-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #10771
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1UP View Post
I have the PS A/S 3's and I think they are great. I haven't driven them on snow like that yet though.

Good thing is, you're safe.

Now i'm debating whether or not I should get the Michelin PSS for the Summer or just stick with these...

Thanks, the car is good too! As for the PS A/S 3's, they are great in Spring, Summer and Fall, just not in cold Winters (30's or below). The tread is in great shape. I have about 15k on them and they've never been tracked. I typically run about 30 psi in each, but they still break traction on me all the time when it's cold out, even on dry roads. I thought maybe they were over-inflated but I just checked and they're maybe a bit under-inflated at 28 psi. I've had over-inflated tires do this to me in other vehicles (RWD) but never when properly or even under-inflated.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #10772
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've got PS A/S 3's on my Lexus IS AWD, they're awesome grippy but like most have said, they're not great in the snow or icy roads.

I also have the PSS on the BRZ, same thing, except even grippier (when not on ice or snow).

Both really good tires, A/S 3 are 2nd to PSS, but I choose A/S 3 for the AWD Lexus because it's more of my daily sprinter...

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #10773
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Looks good! Any videos of it? Also, how was the install for you? I'm waiting on my ARK system to arrive and debating whether I can do this myself or have to go to a friend's shop and do it..

No videos yet since it was freshly done last night.

install was really easy with the help of a friend but if I did it alone It'd probably have taken me ages... (thanks @Cockatoo)

A friend assisted/coached me while I did the install and honestly the actual install is easy and quick.

I don't know what kind of equipment you have, but my friend used a jack to lift the car from the back and I basically climbed under. if you have the right tools and jacks to work on it I'm sure you could do it by yourself.

There's a really good review post from someone who goes over it pretty extensively here.

Also, we referenced this video a few times when we were stuck:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r9ytUxCQqM"]Perrin Performance Cat Back Exhaust System - Unboxing, Install and Review - 2013 Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
x1UP (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #10774
NMBRzer

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Drove in the snow for the first time. Realized you can get quite a bit of wheel spin before the Nanny interferes. Also found out you don't want to open the truck before clearing the snow off the back window, duh!
NMBRzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #10775
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Quote:
No videos yet since it was freshly done last night.

install was really easy with the help of a friend but if I did it alone It'd probably have taken me ages... (thanks @Cockatoo)

A friend assisted/coached me while I did the install and honestly the actual install is easy and quick.

I don't know what kind of equipment you have, but my friend used a jack to lift the car from the back and I basically climbed under. if you have the right tools and jacks to work on it I'm sure you could do it by yourself.

There's a really good review post from someone who goes over it pretty extensively here.

Also, we referenced this video a few times when we were stuck:
Awesome, that's good to know. I'm just debating because I have an exhaust coming, but I don't have any jack stands or a lift, which may make it easier. I might just go do it with a fellow 86er around here and see how that goes.

I'll post a video of it when mine is ready!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #10776
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
did my first mod ever!

Perrin 2.5 resonated catback exhaust~
Looking good! How do you like it so far? Is it a lot louder than stock?

Mine just arrived yesterday. Got it for 807 shipped from infamous performance, they are having a February sale.. 10% of and free shipping. Pretty decent deal from what I've seen.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get it installed. If I do it myself, I'll probably have to buy some tools. I did my wheel spacers and mudguards using nothing but what's found in the trunk and it was a pain in the ass. I don't trust that little flimsy jack either... it bows to the side when the car is lifted. Fine for taking wheels off, but I don't feel comfortable crawling under there.

Last edited by MikeM7; 02-28-2015 at 10:37 AM.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #10777
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
#noregrats

Old 02-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #10778
spicyricecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
Looking good! How do you like it so far? Is it a lot louder than stock?

Mine just arrived yesterday. Got it for 807 shipped from infamous performance, they are having a February sale.. 10% of and free shipping. Pretty decent deal from what I've seen.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get it installed. If I do it myself, I'll probably have to buy some tools. I did my wheel spacers and mudguards using nothing but what's found in the trunk and it was a pain in the ass. I don't trust that little flimsy jack either... it bows to the side when the car is lifted. Fine for taking wheels off, but I don't feel comfortable crawling under there.

It's not noticeable when it's cold, but once it warms up you can definitely hear it! I love it

yeah I think you'd definitely want some lifting tools to do this job
Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #10779
spicyricecake

Quote:
Awesome, that's good to know. I'm just debating because I have an exhaust coming, but I don't have any jack stands or a lift, which may make it easier. I might just go do it with a fellow 86er around here and see how that goes.

I'll post a video of it when mine is ready!

Sounds great!!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #10780
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
#noregrats

Which ram mount piece is the goose neck?
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere