follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #785
DriftEm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ. View Post
I have an AMS Catted Header, Greddy GT Evolution catback, exedy stage 2 clutch, DW 65c fuel pump, and this is on a custom ECUTek tune. I have my e85 kit attached and I'll be running e85 once I put in my injectors in a week or 2. It's definitely a fun kit!
stock pulley?
Old 12-26-2015, 12:43 AM   #786
EJ.
e85!

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEm View Post
stock pulley?
Yes, this is on the stock Edelbrock pulley on 93 pump gas
Scion FR-S M/T | HRI Tuned - AMS Catted Header - DW 700cc injectors - DW 265lph Fuel Pump - MotoEast Flex Fuel Kit - Greddy Evolution GT Catback Exhaust - Exedy Stage 2 Clutch - Edelbrock Supercharger
EJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EJ. For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (12-26-2015), CxG (01-21-2016), DriftEm (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 03:31 AM   #787
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ. View Post
Here's just a little pull of the edelbrock kit with my granny shifting. Wanted to be gentle on the tranny.

Damn that looks good!

Bit of a wobbly vid though... Think you could get 1 a bit smoother?

The more I see of this kit the more I like it!
Old 12-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #788
EJ.
e85!

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
Damn that looks good!

Bit of a wobbly vid though... Think you could get 1 a bit smoother?

The more I see of this kit the more I like it!
Thanks man. It's definitely a bunch of fun! This vid was with my phone attached to the window. I'll make and upload a few more stable and better quality videos with my gopro when I get a chance
Scion FR-S M/T | HRI Tuned - AMS Catted Header - DW 700cc injectors - DW 265lph Fuel Pump - MotoEast Flex Fuel Kit - Greddy Evolution GT Catback Exhaust - Exedy Stage 2 Clutch - Edelbrock Supercharger
EJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EJ. For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (12-27-2015), sdwagonjp (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 01:42 AM   #789
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
As a Californian, would there be any issues if I were to sell the car to a third party with the Edelbrock kit installed (CARB tune being used)? I plan on keeping my 2013 for a while, but I'm always tempted to switch to new cars :/ so I'm not sure what I'll be thinking say 2-3 years from now. Although I think if I had the Edelbrock kit, it would make it much easier to stick with the BRZ for even longer and supplementing it with a Camry.

Also does the CARB tune have the 4k rasp commonly heard on Stage 1 EL OFT tunes (and Ecutek tunes)? I'm not planning on switching out the stock header.

Are there any special maintenance required for the kit? Seems like it's a plug and play daily driver kit. The oil system advertises to be good for 100,000 before service and I most likely will be keeping the car for half that.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #790
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
As a Californian, would there be any issues if I were to sell the car to a third party with the Edelbrock kit installed (CARB tune being used)? I plan on keeping my 2013 for a while, but I'm always tempted to switch to new cars :/ so I'm not sure what I'll be thinking say 2-3 years from now. Although I think if I had the Edelbrock kit, it would make it much easier to stick with the BRZ for even longer and supplementing it with a Camry.
I think its more common to part out a car when selling because you usually get more money back that way instead of adding the value of the kit to the car. On the other hand, I think it might actually be easier to keep the kit on when selling the car since its CARB legal, so no "issues" with staying legal.

Quote:
Also does the CARB tune have the 4k rasp commonly heard on Stage 1 EL OFT tunes (and Ecutek tunes)? I'm not planning on switching out the stock header.
Not familiar with this. I would say I don't notice anything like this at all. I usually associate rasp with replacing exhaust pieces. I'm on stock headers, Nameless OP/MP and Milltek catback with no rasp at all.

Quote:
Are there any special maintenance required for the kit? Seems like it's a plug and play daily driver kit. The oil system advertises to be good for 100,000 before service and I most likely will be keeping the car for half that.
I've been trying to ask this question here for a while now with no response from @Edelbrock LLC or others. I would guess it would be along the same lines as other FI applications: shorter oil change intervals (I get mine analyzed, so I'll base my intervals on that), and keeping a closer eye on wear items (clutch, brakes, etc). I did ask about the 100k mi service during the factory tour and it would involve you taking off the SC and sending it over to them to perform the service.

Last edited by BigFatFlip; 12-27-2015 at 01:01 PM.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
tracerit (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #791
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
interesting you bring that up, because i notice a rasp at WOT near redline just before gear change sometimes. it only happens around 6500 rpm. i was wondering what that was. it doesn't sound exhaust related, since i never had it before the SC was installed. it's a very brief, rasp/creaking noise that's there only for a split second. what's the 4K rasp you mentioned - can you describe it?

i PM'd @Edelbrock LLC when i first got it installed but didn't get an answer to my PM. i live close so it'd be no problem to stop by edelbrock and let mike listen to it, but all he has to do is reply to my PM.

as for maintenance - there doesn't seem to be anything other than what @BigFatFlip mentioned. i've had the car almost 3 years now and have less than 7000 miles on it, so i doubt i'm going to reach that 100k mark anytime soon.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
tracerit (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #792
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
@bigfatlip @shiumai

If I were to sell the car I'd plan to keep it on just because I wouldn't want to pay to have it removed again. There is a 30 min install video that I have yet to watch fully but skimming it seems to show it might be an easy install/uninstall. Although for the install I'd have a shop do it so it'll qualify for the warranty.

This is the rasp I'm referring tohttp://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59475
It's a timing change to help flatten the torque dip with the stock header. Reports were that e85 would minimize it (it didn't for me) or switching to an uel header would get rid of it. But I'm trying to stay close to carb certified so an uel header is not possible for me. The 4k rasp is greatly exaggerated when using my Perrin Cai but I can live with it for now because at 5k and up it rewards me with a throaty sound. It was there with the stock intake but wasn't as loud.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #793
shiumai

Quote:
@bigfatlip @shiumai

This is the rasp I'm referring tohttp://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59475
It's a timing change to help flatten the torque dip with the stock header. Reports were that e85 would minimize it (it didn't for me) or switching to an uel header would get rid of it. But I'm trying to stay close to carb certified so an uel header is not possible for me. The 4k rasp is greatly exaggerated when using my Perrin Cai but I can live with it for now because at 5k and up it rewards me with a throaty sound. It was there with the stock intake but wasn't as loud.
from what i heard in the video, the rasp i'm hearing does sound like that. i did mention it to @CSG Mike right after noticing it, and he mentioned that it could be intake/exhaust noise. since i never heard it before (stock exhaust except for nameless axleback) i chalked it up to maybe intake noise. but usually that's more of a whoosh or hiss (that i'm used to). i also thought it could have been vibration of the plastic intake at some kind of resonant frequency or something like that.
as i mentioned above, it's only at WOT near redline, right when the gears change. it's more of a 'mechanical' noise, and is very brief.
paging @itsibarra @Edelbrock LLC
i'd like to take it by edelbrock and give mike ibarra a quick drive around the block to hear it so we can diagnose what it is. if it's normal and doesn't cause harm, no worries, but i'd like to find out for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
tracerit (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #794
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
If I were to sell the car I'd plan to keep it on just because I wouldn't want to pay to have it removed again. There is a 30 min install video that I have yet to watch fully but skimming it seems to show it might be an easy install/uninstall. Although for the install I'd have a shop do it so it'll qualify for the warranty.

Talking about uninstalling the kit, I don't think it would be too hard/time consuming. One of the big pluses with this kit is how little modification is needed. I think the most "modification" we did was cutting 3/4" off of a hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
from what i heard in the video, the rasp i'm hearing does sound like that. i did mention it to @CSG Mike right after noticing it, and he mentioned that it could be intake/exhaust noise. since i never heard it before (stock exhaust except for nameless axleback) i chalked it up to maybe intake noise. but usually that's more of a whoosh or hiss (that i'm used to). i also thought it could have been vibration of the plastic intake at some kind of resonant frequency or something like that.
as i mentioned above, it's only at WOT near redline, right when the gears change. it's more of a 'mechanical' noise, and is very brief.
paging @itsibarra @Edelbrock LLC
i'd like to take it by edelbrock and give mike ibarra a quick drive around the block to hear it so we can diagnose what it is. if it's normal and doesn't cause harm, no worries, but i'd like to find out for sure.
Regarding the noise, I have not noticed anything like in the videos. To be honest, I'm having a hard time hearing it from the videos either, so it could be my bad ears (from years of drumming). My commute is relatively short and when doing canyon runs, I hardly get to redline anymore (thanks to the newly found low/mid range torque, I hardly have to shift anymore). I'll keep an eye (errr... ear?) out for that noise the next time I'm out.

Keep us posted @shiumai on anything you find out from Edelbrock!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #795
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Regarding the noise, I have not noticed anything like in the videos. To be honest, I'm having a hard time hearing it from the videos either, so it could be my bad ears (from years of drumming).
Keep us posted @shiumai on anything you find out from Edelbrock!
will do.
this is the video @tracerit linked to: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptyi9mT0XoA"]OFT300 Development - YouTube[/ame]

it's from 0.22 to 0.24 seconds in the vid. it's quite noticeable. it's the closest thing to the rasp i'm hearing, but mine isn't quite as loud.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #796
Paulo86

Drives: Toyota GT86 euro version
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
will do.
this is the video @

it's from 0.22 to 0.24 seconds in the vid. it's quite noticeable. it's the closest thing to the rasp i'm hearing, but mine isn't quite as loud.
Maybe i'm wrong, i'm harley technician ... but it sound like bad cams or igntion timing ..
Paulo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #797
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
will do.
this is the video @

Are you sure that's not an exhaust shield rattling? It sounds very much like what a lot of "typical" Subaru guys go through when those shields get loose.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #798
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Are you sure that's not an exhaust shield rattling? It sounds very much like what a lot of "typical" Subaru guys go through when those shields get loose.
100% sure it's not unless you think that the installation of a supercharger results in an exhaust shield suddenly loosening on the same day. it doesn't sound like metal clanging. it's more of a plastic rasp than a metal one.

Tags
boost, byebye jackson racing, e-force, edelbrock, forced induction, supercharger