follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
brzbrad
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Catted, resonated, or catless front pipe with Perrin Exhaust?

So, I'm planning on getting the Perrin 3" Cat Back exhaust with resonator for my BRZ pretty soon. I also want to get an aftermarket front pipe, but I will probably keep the overpipe and headers stock. I was looking at the Invidia catless front pipe, but I've read conflicting reviews on catless front pipes. I've done a lot of research, but I have yet to find someone with the catless front pipe paired to a resonated Perrin Cat Back. Some people say catless FP's drone badly, others say if you have a good resonator, there is no drone. Because of this, I have also looked at the Invidia resonated front pipe, but I'd rather the catless because it is cheaper, allows more airflow, and should be a little bit louder. But I don't want it if it will drone really bad, or wake up the neighbors at night...

Does anyone have this set up, or at least a similar one that could input their thoughts or maybe share a video of the sound?
Any alternate suggestions are also appreciated.
brzbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Met a guy with a catless FP and 3" catback (don't remember, but it was not Perrin) a while ago. It was sooo damn loud even when not driven aggressively.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Catted front pipe. I have the perrin 2.5" with catted fp, overpipe, borla UEL headers, and its the perfect sound. no done, but sounds aggressive when you're on it

i made a vid for comparison

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0ZIecDwyo&list=UUNcYcjMXtWphfvZaUZnfENA"]Scion FRS (BRZ/ GT86) Full Exhaust + Headers vs Headers + Track Pipe - YouTube[/ame]
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes For This Useful Post:
brzbrad (12-07-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzbrad View Post
So, I'm planning on getting the Perrin 3" Cat Back exhaust with resonator for my BRZ pretty soon. I also want to get an aftermarket front pipe, but I will probably keep the overpipe and headers stock. I was looking at the Invidia catless front pipe, but I've read conflicting reviews on catless front pipes. I've done a lot of research, but I have yet to find someone with the catless front pipe paired to a resonated Perrin Cat Back. Some people say catless FP's drone badly, others say if you have a good resonator, there is no drone. Because of this, I have also looked at the Invidia resonated front pipe, but I'd rather the catless because it is cheaper, allows more airflow, and should be a little bit louder. But I don't want it if it will drone really bad, or wake up the neighbors at night...

Does anyone have this set up, or at least a similar one that could input their thoughts or maybe share a video of the sound?
My Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin 3" catted front pipe, Perrin overpipe, and open flash header is LOUD. My suggestion is to get the 2.5" version of the resonated catback and skip the front pipe as it offers almost no real life gains. If you are looking for more power I'd say skip the catback and front pipe and just get a catless header along with a tune. That will get you 98% of the power you are going to get from exhaust mods and also get you that increased exhaust volume you are looking for without all the obnoxious noise and drone while being overall cheaper than just the catback alone! If I could have done it all over again thats the route I would have taken.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malt For This Useful Post:
brzbrad (12-07-2014), Chad86 (06-10-2016), Sleepless (01-15-2015), steve99 (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have a Top Speed header, catless DC Sports over pipe and front pipe, Perrin resonated 3" exhaust. I love the sound. Can be loud or quiet depending on how you drive. Check out this video, I'm #24 black FRS.

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
brzbrad
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
My Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin 3" catted front pipe, Perrin overpipe, and open flash header is LOUD. My suggestion is to get the 2.5" version of the resonated catback and skip the front pipe as it offers almost no real life gains. If you are looking for more power I'd say skip the catback and front pipe and just get a catless header along with a tune. That will get you 98% of the power you are going to get from exhaust mods and also get you that increased exhaust volume you are looking for without all the obnoxious noise and drone while being overall cheaper than just the catback alone! If I could have done it all over again thats the route I would have taken.
Do you think it is so loud mainly because of the header? Or is it something else?
I'd like to replace the stock muffler and exhaust tips, but I'd rather not change the headers/overpipe unless I have to. Do you think having a resonator in the FP and the cat back would be better? I don't mind it being loud, I just don't want it to be somewhat painful every time I go for a drive...
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you think it is so loud mainly because of the header? Or is it something else?
I'd like to replace the stock muffler and exhaust tips, but I'd rather not change the headers/overpipe unless I have to. Do you think having a resonator in the FP and the cat back would be better? I don't mind it being loud, I just don't want it to be somewhat painful every time I go for a drive...
Resonators don't help with volume, they only help with rasp. The issue of my volume is because I have a 3" exhaust AND a catless header. That being said I think the 3" exhaust is overly loud with no real benefit while NA and the 2.5" resonated sounds perfect. If you are going for just a better sounding exhaust then I would try and find a perrin 2.5" used, but just be aware that it gets much louder once you start replacing other exhaust components.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malt For This Useful Post:
brzbrad (12-07-2014), Chad86 (06-10-2016)
Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
brzbrad
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Garage
Quote:
Resonators don't help with volume, they only help with rasp. The issue of my volume is because I have a 3" exhaust AND a catless header. That being said I think the 3" exhaust is overly loud with no real benefit while NA and the 2.5" resonated sounds perfect. If you are going for just a better sounding exhaust then I would try and find a perrin 2.5" used, but just be aware that it gets much louder once you start replacing other exhaust components.

Sorry, this is my first exhaust build, and I'm still figuring out exactly what does what...
And thank you, I will look in to the 2.5" cat back now. I'm also bringing it to a tuning shop tomorrow, and I'm going to see what suggestions they have, because I also want to do some sort of ECUTEK tune.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
J.C.

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the Perrin 2.5" CBE mated with a catted JDL fp. I can't imagine daily driving with a catless fp. Go catted or resonated.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
rjgough95

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 7.3 F350 Diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I have the non resonated perrin cat back and just did the catless borla over the weekend I can try and get you a clip by tomorrow.
rjgough95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
rjgough95

Quote:
Point very true I just replaced my headers with the borla catless just this weekend and I have already been running the 2.5 non resonated perrin cat back, it has changed the sound a lot. Really brought out the boxer rumble.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjgough95 For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
This would be very valuable to me as I have a non res version and would love to know what a catless header will make it sound like.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I installed tomei uel header and overpipe one week before tomei front pipe and perrin 2.5 resonated catback.... Uel and over pipe with rest stock is great, boxer rumble that is not loud but stock muffler did sound pretty good on wot... Upon later installing tomei front pipe and perrin catback all hell breaks loose on wot in a good wat...Loud but boxer rumble no rasp no drone loud...from the experience i now know tomei uel and frot pipe, beside being catless are very light built...tubing is thin ... Is the ingredient for loudness.. What makes my setup loud is definetly the tomei parts and i'm loving it... Jackpot for me since i wanted a loud deep boxer rumble always and all hell breaks loose boxer scream at wot but no rasp ever.... seriously... Thank god
Hope this helps!!!!
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to axelo For This Useful Post:
brzbrad (01-14-2015)
Old 10-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #14
rjgough95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
This would be very valuable to me as I have a non res version and would love to know what a catless header will make it sound like.
Ill ether have it up tomorrow or mid Saturday I have to get my defouler on then ill upload it for you guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjgough95 For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (10-30-2014)