follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #351
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't see how this car is exempt from being a daily driver. It is for me, and regardless of what transmission it would come with, I had every intention of driving it daily. I wouldn't want a Honda Civic for myself, and that's certainly not the only daily drivable vehicle in existence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-23-2017), Ultramaroon (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #352
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I don't see how this car is exempt from being a daily driver.
It's not. But that not what most people buy these cars for. It's like saying you can't do the grocery run with a porsche gt3. You can but that's not why you would usually buy one for.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 AM   #353
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
That's just poor assumptions people make. The perception that sports car can't do normal daily things is old hat, and just because one person finds it impractical doesn't mean someone else will, or has to subject themselves to tolerating more than 2 doors and a vanilla driving experience in some econobox in order to commute, grocery-get, etc. Maybe some folks get it as their occasional fun car, but we all know it's capable of daily living, so I still don't see how Honda Civic is the answer to the question about practical advantages of a clutch in daily driving. This car is still enjoyable when it needs to be and livable when it needs to be no matter which transmission it has.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Raven34 (01-23-2017), why? (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #354
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The spirit and nature of this car does not live in the transmission. They are both sweet machines.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (01-23-2017), toijin (01-23-2017), why? (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #355
Calvin27

Quote:
The perception that sports car can't do normal daily things is old hat
Yes, but it seems that comprehension will never take off. Show me where I said it CAN'T do normal daily things.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 AM   #356
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
Well if you are talking daily driver, then should have gotten a honda civic.
If this statement is not simply meant to be insulting or inflammatory then what else?

All but two of the at least twenty owners I personally know in my area daily theirs.

I understand shiumai's misunderstanding and subsequent frustration with my posts but this is the cheapest bait yet.

Quote:
Yes, but it seems that comprehension will never take off. Show me where I said it CAN'T do normal daily things.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #357
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
You clearly haven't, but the implication from saying if we're talking daily driving that one should get a Civic is that this car in manual form is not conducive to daily driving. The "shoulda gotten something else", whether you personally think that to be true or not, is essentially what you said, is it not?
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
why? (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #358
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
You clearly haven't, but the implication from saying if we're talking daily driving that one should get a Civic is that this car in manual form is not conducive to daily driving. The "shoulda gotten something else", whether you personally think that to be true or not, is essentially what you said, is it not?
Obvious troll is obvious.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:47 AM   #359
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Give us this day our daily driver.
Forgive us our shifts,
as we forgive those who shift against us.
Lead us not into lack of traction,
but deliver us from wheelspin.
For thine is the transmission, and the power and glory.
For ever and ever, given regular maintenance.
Amen.

Last edited by PetrolioBenzina; 01-23-2017 at 02:16 AM.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
mmmcambelsoup (01-23-2017), new2subaru (01-23-2017), Ultramaroon (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 AM   #360
Calvin27

Quote:
Haha yeah fair enough the civic was tongue in cheek. I'll wear that.

But it was in response to this. Which is a stupid question in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Also, what are the advantages that you can use the clutch to? I've already mentioned launching, burning out etc. But what practical advantage is there in daily driving that a clutch provides?
My point was people don't solely buy this for daily driving, well very few do. So asking when is a clutch useful for daily driving is like asking when is a lotus elise good as an ambulance.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #361
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haha yeah fair enough the civic was tongue in cheek. I'll wear that.

But it was in response to this. Which is a stupid question in itself.

My point was people don't solely buy this for daily driving, well very few do. So asking when is a clutch useful for daily driving is like asking when is a lotus elise good as an ambulance.
That's a pretty lame analogy.
My question was in response to your statement "You select when to change gears, when to downshift, you can use the clutch to your advantage etc. "
You still haven't answered the question as to what the advantages are; it's a pretty simple question.

I'd also question your statement here: "people don't solely buy this for daily driving, well very few do."
Is it also based on the same assumptions you made when you didn't seem aware that you could use the paddle shifters on the AT to change gears at will?

The civic didn't meet my requirements for a daily driver, which was basically to find a vehicle that was very similar to my last daily driver - a 1978 Datsun 280Z. The BRZ was the closest choice. Choosing a daily driver (for me, at least) goes like this:
1. Determine what I need (objective)
2. Given my budget, downselect it to a car that meets that need, and is also a car that I want (subjective).

So, giving a legit answer to your tongue in cheek question, the car I spent my money on met the requirements for a car that fit my needs and wants. A civic would only fit the need. Why spend the same amount of money and only get half the equation?
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-23-2017), Ultramaroon (01-23-2017), why? (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #362
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't see how this car is exempt from being a daily driver. It is for me, and regardless of what transmission it would come with, I had every intention of driving it daily. I wouldn't want a Honda Civic for myself, and that's certainly not the only daily drivable vehicle in existence.
indeed, the FRS has enough practicality...I had enough space to take 4 (fit) people plus enough luggage & alcohol for a full weekend during my last trip to Las Vegas from Phoenix. It ain't the most comfortable for sure, but it was worth the fun.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #363
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
You still haven't answered the question as to what the advantages are; it's a pretty simple question.

I'd also question your statement here: "people don't solely buy this for daily driving, well very few do."
Is it also based on the same assumptions you made when you didn't seem aware that you could use the paddle shifters on the AT to change gears at will?

I bought a beater forester with a stick shift. One big advantage was that it was cheaper than anything else comparable by about 5K so...that was a pretty big advantage to buying a stick shift in that instance. In the twins the manual seems to go for more money second hand as it is more desirable overall....so that is also an advantage when it comes time to sell.

Your statement about the ATs paddle shifters is an arguable point. Sure you get the feeling of a downshift or upshift, but it is that vague manual mode automatic transmission shifting you get with most cars of today. The AT in this car adequate at best, and the paddle shifters are more gimmick than anything. They tried to make it good with this car, but it is still a traditional automatic.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
shiumai (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #364
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I bought a beater forester with a stick shift. One big advantage was that it was cheaper than anything else comparable by about 5K so...that was a pretty big advantage to buying a stick shift in that instance. In the twins the manual seems to go for more money second hand as it is more desirable overall....so that is also an advantage when it comes time to sell.

Your statement about the ATs paddle shifters is an arguable point. Sure you get the feeling of a downshift or upshift, but it is that vague manual mode automatic transmission shifting you get with most cars of today. The AT in this car adequate at best, and the paddle shifters are more gimmick than anything. They tried to make it good with this car, but it is still a traditional automatic.
You're kidding me, right? The AT in this car is worlds ahead of any other AT I've driven (DCTs not included). There is no vagueness whatsoever. How many miles have you put on an AT twin? Hell, even @Tcoat who loves MT to bits had enjoyed the AT in the twins.

But hey, you keep going on with your opinion there, it's all good. We could go out on a drive through some back roads together and I bet I'd be able to have just as much fun as you do, even with my "adequate" transmission.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (01-23-2017), shiumai (01-23-2017), Ultramaroon (01-23-2017), why? (01-23-2017)

Tags
know it all, richardsfrs sucks