follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #57
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Hey, are you able to run a front sway bar with your vorshlog mounts? Car made it to Maryland so the build is finally getting going.
Awesome! Car is with pure? Yes I have a front sway bar. Vorshlag amounts and customs long tubes
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #58
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
Awesome! Car is with pure? Yes I have a front sway bar. Vorshlag amounts and customs long tubes
Yes! Brady hasn't done a swap yet with the Vorshlag mounts and he wasn't sure about the front sway bar fitting. Thanks I'll pass along the good news.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #59
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Yes! Brady hasn't done a swap yet with the Vorshlag mounts and he wasn't sure about the front sway bar fitting. Thanks I'll pass along the good news.
There are some shots of it on my Instagram page, plenty of room.

Ls3brz
Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #60
R N M

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ, 2018 BMW M3 CP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm getting sick and tired of being disappointed by the FA20. If I want an LS3 in my BRZ and I don't mind shipping it anywhere in the country and I don't particularly care about the cost, where should I send it? I just want it done right and in a timely fashion. I don't have the time, space or patience to do the swap myself.

Before you tell me to just buy a Corvette or a Camaro know that I already have an 18' ZL1 and a supercharged S2000. While I love both of those cars I'm still drawn to the BRZ. I just fit in the car perfectly. S2K is too small and the Camaro is too big! Have a real love hate relationship with the BRZ but the only thing I really hate is the unreliable drivetrain.
What is the estimated cost of doing the LS3 Swap if using all new parts and sending it to a shop like Pure Automotive?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the BRZ for either GT350, C7 GranSport or E92 M3 6mt. Basically V8 with manual.
Still love the styling and perfect size of the BRZ so maybe swap is the way to go.....

2018 BMW M3 Competition Package
2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sport
R N M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #61
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
What is the estimated cost of doing the LS3 Swap if using all new parts and sending it to a shop like Pure Automotive?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the BRZ for either GT350, C7 GranSport or E92 M3 6mt. Basically V8 with manual.
Still love the styling and perfect size of the BRZ so maybe swap is the way to go.....
It’s about 25-27K in parts and 5K in labor. That’s what I was quoted from Pure with a used TR6060 and LS3 from a Camaro. I decided to go with a brand new magnum xl trans and a fully built LS3 along with a lot of other add ons. So needless to say my build is getting pricey!!

My car might not be faster than a grandsport on track without aero and slicks but I’m very confident it will be more fun and faster on an autoX course. If you do all the work yourself and don’t use MoTeC obviously it can be done much much cheaper.

I plan on keeping the car forever! But one of my reasons for justifying it is that the car should actually be worth something now (at least to the right buyer) where as a built fa20 turbo car I feel is pretty worthless. Brady told me he had a customer sell his 2JZ car for 44K within a month and that was without MoTeC.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 12-04-2018 at 10:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #62
karlsson

Drives: seat ibiza
Hi everyone,
our swap is finally done. We went with the crate 525 LS3, 3.73 final gear and the magnum XL 2.97.
The car is tuned via ecutek and my tuner was able to translate the the data from the BRZs ECU so it can "talk" with the LS3s unit. All the gauges are working fine now, except for one small issue with the fuel gauge, but I am getting a serious surge from 1000-1800 rpm.
My tuner tells me this is due to the cam in the crate motor and he seems to be at his wits end.
Has anyone experienced problems like this?
The car is a road warrior first and track car second, so this is of some concern to me
What should I do? Switch to a different cam? Or are there some limitations with our ECU setup that could be remedied with a motec unit?
karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #63
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
It’s about 25-27K in parts and 5K in labor. That’s what I was quoted from Pure with a used TR6060 and LS3 from a Camaro. I decided to go with a brand new magnum xl trans and a fully built LS3 along with a lot of other add ons. So needless to say my build is getting pricey!!

My car might not be faster than a gransport on track without aero and slicks but I’m very confident it will be more fun and faster on an autoX course. If you do all the work yourself and don’t use MoTeC obviously it can be done much much cheaper.

I plan on keeping the car forever! But one of my reasons for justifying it is that the car should actually be worth something now (at least to the right buyer) where as a built fa20 turbo car I feel is pretty worthless. Brady told me he had a customer sell his 2JZ car for 44K within a month and that was without MoTeC.
You’re gonna love it!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:08 AM   #64
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsson View Post
Hi everyone,
our swap is finally done. We went with the crate 525 LS3, 3.73 final gear and the magnum XL 2.97.
The car is tuned via ecutek and my tuner was able to translate the the data from the BRZs ECU so it can "talk" with the LS3s unit. All the gauges are working fine now, except for one small issue with the fuel gauge, but I am getting a serious surge from 1000-1800 rpm.
My tuner tells me this is due to the cam in the crate motor and he seems to be at his wits end.
Has anyone experienced problems like this?
The car is a road warrior first and track car second, so this is of some concern to me
What should I do? Switch to a different cam? Or are there some limitations with our ECU setup that could be remedied with a motec unit?
I have a pretty wild cam in mine, I do have to tach it out a bit to get it going but it drives nice. I’m quite happy with the motec ecu.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #65
karlsson

Drives: seat ibiza
What cam are you using?
karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #66
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsson View Post
What cam are you using?
Custom cam from Texas speed

https://www.instagram.com/ls3brz/p/B...=1o5xjlw69iq91
Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #67
R N M

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ, 2018 BMW M3 CP
Quote:

My car might not be faster than a gransport on track without aero and slicks but I’m very confident it will be more fun and faster on an autoX course. If you do all the work yourself and don’t use MoTeC obviously it can be done much much cheaper.

Wow thats a lot more than I expected. I thought maybe $20-25k all in.
This is about $40-45k with new engine and trans plus tuning time etc.

Corvette GrandSport might be cheaper solution for me with full warranty and better resale value for sure....

2018 BMW M3 Competition Package
2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sport
R N M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #68
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Corvette GrandSport might be cheaper solution for me with full warranty and better resale value for sure....
But it wont be as fun! Been behind the wheel of a C6 autocrossing and own a LS2 FRS, the FRS is an absolute blast to toss around. Its the modern 240z.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #69
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Wow thats a lot more than I expected. I thought maybe $20-25k all in.
This is about $40-45k with new engine and trans plus tuning time etc.

Yeah, when you include the cost of the car and swap it will total about exactly what a used grandsport sells for. So you have to be a little crazy like me to want to do this swap.

Do keep in mind that GM products are not exactly known for holding their value, although that doesn't mean it's worse than a swap. What frustrates me about cars like corvettes is people who buy them simply don't drive them! Most sit in peoples garage and are only taken out for the occasional Sunday drive. This means there are a TON of very low miles cars for sale which is great if you are a buyer. But when you go to sell it's the opposite anything over 7K miles will be considered "high milage".

It took me 3 months to sell my 18' ZL1 with 12K miles because nobody wants a car with that many miles and I own a car dealership! You can always trade in but that's gonna hurt. I really want a DRIVER, a car I don't think twice about putting miles on. Plus really love the idea of having something that everyone thinks is really slow when it's NOT. I will save some money on insurance and registration in California every year that's for sure. Not to mention tires, brake pads and consumables which is what really pushed me away from the Camaro to begin with. When I do the math on a track day in the BRZ vs ZL1 the Camaro costs me about 4X the money per lap.

If any manufacturer sold a sub 3000 pound car with a power to weight ratio of 6 lbs per HP I would definitley go out and buy that instead. Sadly because of safety and emissions that will never happen so I am forced to have one built...

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 12-04-2018 at 11:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #70
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, when you include the cost of the car and swap it will total about exactly what a used grandsport sells for. So you have to be a little crazy like me to want to do this swap.

Do keep in mind that GM products are not exactly known for holding their value, although that doesn't mean it's worse than a swap. What frustrates me about cars like corvettes is people who buy them simply don't drive them! Most sit in peoples garage and are only taken out for the occasional Sunday drive. This means there are a TON of very low miles cars for sale which is great if you are a buyer. But when you go to sell it's the opposite anything over 7K miles will be considered "high milage".

It took me 3 months to sell my 18' ZL1 with 12K miles because nobody wants a car with that many miles and I own a car dealership! You can always trade in but that's gonna hurt. I really want a DRIVER, a car I don't think twice about putting miles on. Plus really love the idea of having something that everyone thinks is really slow when it's NOT. I will save some money on insurance and registration in California every year that's for sure. Not to mention tires, brake pads and consumables which is what really pushed me away from the Camaro to begin with. When I do the math on a track day in the BRZ vs ZL1 the Camaro costs me about 4X the money per lap.
Big heavy powerful cars cost a lot to run. These were brand new tires with 100 highway miles on them when I started my track day Sunday. I did 4 x 25 min sessions. (probably averaged 18-20min per session).

About 1/16th. Maybe 2 at most. $1600 mounted and balanced. And I'm running "cheap" 18" tires. They're street tires, too- not even slicks.

Anyway, Corvettes are kind of funny in their depreciation. The first 20k miles are insane. Then it's like nothing until 70k. I mentioned earlier, I got then current generation C6 Z51 (not even GS which hold value way better) with 14k for $34k or so (nearly $65k sticker!). I drove it for 60k miles and sold it with 75k miles for $24k. And I bought from a dealer, so it's even less if you compare private to private sales.

Quote:
If any manufacturer sold a sub 3000 pound car with a power to weight ratio of 6 lbs per HP I would definitley go out and buy that instead. Sadly because of safety and emissions that will never happen so I am forced to have one built...
C6 Z06 is close. 3100lbs and 505 hp. You can easily get a C6 to sub 3000lbs and not even notice the daily driving difference. That's why the C6 widebody and C5Z06 are such great track cars. It's also why a 20 year old Corvette with 50k miles is $24,000
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote