follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
DIY: Winjet DRL Always-on

No harness guide for Winjet DRL always on, getting the harness would give you a cleaner install (no wires flying around) but if you don't mind then this is for you.

You may need some electrical knowledge of how to connect wires but besides that it is a fairly straight forward process. As you may know the Winjet DRLs are not especially bright in the day time and as a result they are bright but not blinding in the night time but be aware they will not change brightness when the low-beams go on.

Doing the steps in this tutorial will make your DRLs turn on whenever your ignition is on. There is no way to turn them off when ignition is on short of pulling the fuse connector.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible if you mess up and blow up your car. Realistically you would only blow a fuse if you somehow mess up but either way do not blame me.

I will answer any questions I can.

What you need:

- Stranded Wire: I recommend 18 gauge.
- Add-a-circuit with Fuse: Must be low profile ATM Blade Style, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-A-CIRCUI...item1e8ae6bb29
- Ways to connect wires: Can be solder, butt connectors, etc. Including a spade or other form to connect to a ground.
- Wire stripper and cutter
- Patience
- Zip ties for cleanup.

Step 1: Build the harness + ground wires
Measure out the length you want. The fuse box is right by the passenger side so you do not need a lot of length here but the wire must go to the driver side and remember you want extra room so it can tie down and not be discreet. Also you will need two ground wires so build those as well. Here is the diagram:

Step 2: Cut the DRL wires.
There is a connector inside the Winjet assembly that combines the signal for the high-beam and the DRLs. You must cut the DRL wires (red and black) BEFORE the connector otherwise your highbeams will be permanently on. FYI The brown wires are the wires for the high-beam switch. Here is a picture of the connector. I have already cut the red and black connectors that go to the DRLs. There will be a red and black wire not connected to anything in the end.

Here is a paint diagram for those who are unsure:

Step 3: Connect the harness and ground wires.
Connect the ground wires to any bolt that is connected to metal (pretty much any bolt) near the headlights. Connect the add-a-circuit to the fuse box. I used a 5 amp fuse that came with the add-a-circuit and also a 7.5 amp fuse that was a spare in the fuse box.

Here is the bolt I connected to on the passenger side.

Here is the bolt I connected to on the driver side.

Where I connected the add-a-circuit, it was an empty slot before:

Step 4: Solder or connect the cut wires.
Depending on how you want to do it, solder or use butt connectors to connect the cut wires that went to the DRLs to the harness. The RED DRL wire goes to the fuse harness, the BLACK DRL wire goes to the ground wire. You pull the two DRL wires out of the cap and still tighten the cap normally.
After this, check your highbeams and ensure all lights are working and enjoy!

Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads

Last edited by l0aded; 08-04-2014 at 10:12 PM.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
Choob (01-05-2015), DAEMANO (01-05-2015), HyperTech (08-04-2014), Terran (08-14-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #2
calis5nest

Drives: scion frs firestorm
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks! Great work and love how u took initiative when no answer to this was given/found
Choob (01-05-2015), l0aded (08-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Choob

Drives: 2013 Firestorm MT, 2004 Celica Gt
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calis5nest View Post
Thanks! Great work and love how u took initiative when no answer to this was given/found
Couldn't of said it any better, Thank you for putting the effort and time for the 86 platform and improving it with such modifications
Choob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:
l0aded (01-06-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
j0hnnybk01

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i tried this out and the high beams and drls stoped working . did everything like said . wired it back up normaly and it works again . did you have to do both sides for it to work?
j0hnnybk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
scionfr_s

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Is this method work? I tried and DRL didn't come on. Just ordered another mini fuse tap, will see if it work or not

Last edited by scionfr_s; 03-31-2016 at 11:06 PM.
scionfr_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionfr_s View Post
Is this method work? I tried and DRL didn't come on. Just ordered another mini fuse tap, will see if it work or not

I didn't like how this takes the extra effort to use a fuse in the fuse box to power the DRLs and isn't contained in the headlight so I bit the bullet and bought fteightysixs DRL mod, no regrets and is much less work.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote