follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #29
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMD View Post
Nice pictures, thank you! Regarding the panic button, I do make a 4 button. I was told the BRZ remotes generally don't have that 4th button, but I guess that's incorrect! If you'd like a 4 button front shell, I can send one out.

The surface finish wears well over time. It'll smooth slightly. If dirtiness is a concern I'd recommend the Cerakote options. That provides a uniform surface that's less rough and cleans very easily. It also opens the doors to some wild colors.

Spare plastics will be posted up shortly on the store. They'll cost a fraction of the kit and allow you to swap out shells if you ever get the itch for Cerakote.

Thanks for the pictures and feedback! Looks good!
And thank you! Fitment is fantastic and your idea with the metal frame tab to hold in the valet key/add shell stability is pretty ingenious.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Just received my YotaMD key shell and I'm really liking it. It is about the same size as the stock 13-14 wireless key but feels much more sleek in your hand.

It comes with 2 sets of screws in the hardware set (black/silver) that you get to choose from, and 2 keychain attachment options (key ring/key hook). This screw-in design is way better than the clip-together design by factory. especially if you've taken your factory key apart a lot like I have.

The shell features a slot for your valet key. It even has a metal attachment for your keychain, so your valet key no longer has to carry the weight of the rest of your keychain. This had caused a rattle on my factory shell and I'm looking forward to this never rattling.

The only downside to this shell, if you could call it that, is the texture is very rough and I can see this thing getting dirty quickly. I'd also like some options for engraving. In the last picture you can see my roommates custom 4runner trd pro key shell. It is smooth and features and an engraving in which you can put a colored sticker into. Really slick stuff.

It's also a bummer to lose the panic button but it's something I can live without.

Overall I'd recommend this remote to anyone.
So...

I just got my fob shell installed. I have similar feelings as above, but would like to add/subtract a few things.

The fact that the kit comes with both black and natural screw colors is a nice touch. I wasn't expecting that.

The metal "frame" that runs around the perimeter of the shell is a great idea for having a robust attachment point to your key chain. Its a little rough around the edges (literally) but the majority of the material gets sandwiched between the two shell halves. Going through a tumbler first would improve the feel of this part out of the box.

The shell finish is rough, but it doesn't bother me.

The trunk open button "tail" did not seat completely when assembling like the lock/unlock buttons did. The tab in the shell was too thick to slide into the opening in the tail. Although the button isn't fully seated, it has been functioning correctly so far:

I've never once legitimately used the panic button and I wont miss it.

There's an opening on the side of the shell where a portion of the metal frame is exposed. I'm assuming this is to unlock the valet key, since it lines up with the hole at the tip of the key. It doesn't seem to function too well, as the effort needed to take the key out is the same whether you push in this tab or not:

The included latch and key ring is a nice inclusion, but it would be even nicer to have the option to not include these since the "kit" is already somewhat pricey (in my opinion) and not everyone needs these (I didn't use them).

Overall, the kit and the pieces within are very nice and well thought out. The quality appears to be very good and I've got little doubt that this shell and attachment points won't last the life of the car. I really like the available color options and the size difference from OEM and the fact that you can forego the valet key and simplify the button layout to not include the panic button.

9/10 would buy again.

ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka-titties For This Useful Post:
8RZ (10-30-2019), norcalpb (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #31
ka-titties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
[Opinions]
Also worth noting, this will remove any water resistance that's available with the OEM shell. The OEM shell isn't great at resisting water, but the electronics should survive a couple cycles through a washing machine. This shell doesn't appear to retain that feature, but I haven't tested that.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #32
YotaMD

Drives: 91 Supra and 99 Land Cruiser
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So...

I just got my fob shell installed. I have similar feelings as above, but would like to add/subtract a few things.

The fact that the kit comes with both black and natural screw colors is a nice touch. I wasn't expecting that.

The metal "frame" that runs around the perimeter of the shell is a great idea for having a robust attachment point to your key chain. Its a little rough around the edges (literally) but the majority of the material gets sandwiched between the two shell halves. Going through a tumbler first would improve the feel of this part out of the box.

The shell finish is rough, but it doesn't bother me.

The trunk open button "tail" did not seat completely when assembling like the lock/unlock buttons did. The tab in the shell was too thick to slide into the opening in the tail. Although the button isn't fully seated, it has been functioning correctly so far:

I've never once legitimately used the panic button and I wont miss it.

There's an opening on the side of the shell where a portion of the metal frame is exposed. I'm assuming this is to unlock the valet key, since it lines up with the hole at the tip of the key. It doesn't seem to function too well, as the effort needed to take the key out is the same whether you push in this tab or not:

The included latch and key ring is a nice inclusion, but it would be even nicer to have the option to not include these since the "kit" is already somewhat pricey (in my opinion) and not everyone needs these (I didn't use them).

Overall, the kit and the pieces within are very nice and well thought out. The quality appears to be very good and I've got little doubt that this shell and attachment points won't last the life of the car. I really like the available color options and the size difference from OEM and the fact that you can forego the valet key and simplify the button layout to not include the panic button.

9/10 would buy again.

Quote:
Also worth noting, this will remove any water resistance that's available with the OEM shell. The OEM shell isn't great at resisting water, but the electronics should survive a couple cycles through a washing machine. This shell doesn't appear to retain that feature, but I haven't tested that.

Great feedback. Here are my comments:

1. I've debated using a tumbler. The downside is that the edges that you want to be crisp (where it's sandwhiched) will have a less exact mate with the shells. I'll consider tumbling if others feel similar.

2. Interesting. I'll see if I can slim that feature down so the BRZ buttons snap in better. I expect function will be unaffected, but I'm all about the satisfying install process so I'll look into it.

3. It sounds like your valet key isn't quite engaging. There should be a very positive and very satisfying "CLICK!" when the key is fully seated. Once seated, the key WILL NOT come out until the release is depressed. It's a similar mechanism to a firearm magazine catch. If you have a file handy you could try filing a tiny bit off the "hook" on the metal to get engagement. I'll need to tweak that dimension as I get feedback from the masses. It's a very tight tolerance and I think it's a little on the long side right now which means some keys may not engage fully. If you don't have a file, I'll send out a pre-filed one to you at my cost.

4. The keyring adds about $0.10 to the cost and the clip adds around $1, pending how I calculate it. I figure it's small enough not many people will care, but this is good feedback.

5. Water resistance. I clamp the OEM gasket like the OEM case in my design. It *should* maintain similar water resistance, but I haven't tested it yet. I have meant to, just haven't dunked my testers in the sink yet.

6. Looks like you tried to embed pics, but I don't see any. I can see the links in the quote here, but not in your post. If you can correct those links, I'd love to see em!

Thanks for taking your time with the feedback here. This is great info and I hope it shows what the product offers for other folks here that might be curious.
YotaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YotaMD For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-18-2022)
Old 10-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
ka-titties

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMD View Post
Great feedback. Here are my comments:

1. I've debated using a tumbler. The downside is that the edges that you want to be crisp (where it's sandwhiched) will have a less exact mate with the shells. I'll consider tumbling if others feel similar.

2. Interesting. I'll see if I can slim that feature down so the BRZ buttons snap in better. I expect function will be unaffected, but I'm all about the satisfying install process so I'll look into it.

3. It sounds like your valet key isn't quite engaging. There should be a very positive and very satisfying "CLICK!" when the key is fully seated. Once seated, the key WILL NOT come out until the release is depressed. It's a similar mechanism to a firearm magazine catch. If you have a file handy you could try filing a tiny bit off the "hook" on the metal to get engagement. I'll need to tweak that dimension as I get feedback from the masses. It's a very tight tolerance and I think it's a little on the long side right now which means some keys may not engage fully. If you don't have a file, I'll send out a pre-filed one to you at my cost.

4. The keyring adds about $0.10 to the cost and the clip adds around $1, pending how I calculate it. I figure it's small enough not many people will care, but this is good feedback.

5. Water resistance. I clamp the OEM gasket like the OEM case in my design. It *should* maintain similar water resistance, but I haven't tested it yet. I have meant to, just haven't dunked my testers in the sink yet.

6. Looks like you tried to embed pics, but I don't see any. I can see the links in the quote here, but not in your post. If you can correct those links, I'd love to see em!

Thanks for taking your time with the feedback here. This is great info and I hope it shows what the product offers for other folks here that might be curious.
That's strange that the photos dont show up for you. I see them with no issue on my side. Anyone else not see the photos?

I'll try filing the latch on the key holder to see if that improves the hold.

I did not consider the gasket clamping, only noticed how many openings there are in the shell now. But now that you point it out, I see as long as the gasket is clamped all around, things should be good!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:45 AM   #34
YotaMD

Quote:
That's strange that the photos dont show up for you. I see them with no issue on my side. Anyone else not see the photos?

I'll try filing the latch on the key holder to see if that improves the hold.

I did not consider the gasket clamping, only noticed how many openings there are in the shell now. But now that you point it out, I see as long as the gasket is clamped all around, things should be good!
Photos show now, all good.

Let me know if filing fixes the key engagement. If not, I'll send you one that I've pre-filed for you. That CLICK is really neat so I don't want you missing out on that function.

Great photos!
norcalpb (10-31-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 12:31 AM   #35
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Pretty happy with mine, slimmer pocket feel is nice.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 AM   #36
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@ka-titties: btw, i wouldn't bring small tag with keyfob i use though. IIRC number from that tag is needed to reprogram new set of fobs in case you loose original.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #37
ka-titties

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
@ka-titties: btw, i wouldn't bring small tag with keyfob i use though. IIRC number from that tag is needed to reprogram new set of fobs in case you loose original.
Yeah, I don't carry that key with me. That was just for the photos. If you look at the last photo, the tag is not present.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #38
YotaMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Pretty happy with mine, slimmer pocket feel is nice.
Thanks, I think the slimmer feel is a key benefit.

Couldn't help myself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YotaMD For This Useful Post:
BRZyJ (11-13-2019), norcalpb (11-13-2019), soundman98 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #39
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
get out
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #40
YotaMD

FYI folks, YotaMD BLack Friday sale is here.

https://store.yotamd.com

Buy one Get one 50% off on everything through Monday!
Attached Images

jordan7831 (11-29-2019)
Old 06-14-2022, 06:05 PM   #41
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I wanted to bump this with an idea for anyone with a 3D printer.

I really don't need the buttons on the fob, as I can just use the door, but buttons would be nice too. The key isn't needed, as I could just have a slim key with my other keys on a chain, so the idea would be to have a card in a wallet or to have a much smaller box. If someone designed a 3D printed product that was slimmer, but longer because it required relocation of the batter like in the video below, I would be totally down to make the modifications.

The components on the fob account for about 8mm of thickness with the whole fob being 15mm. The bulk of that height is the black box (antenna?), the battery and the buttons. I don't know if the battery and black box can be relocated, and I feel like the buttons could be removed, if not retained. If I had a 3D printer then I would make something myself, but I don't.

The other option I am considering is the Lexus smart card:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...30#post3529230