follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #99
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
It matters not. It is wrong to mistreat a customer car, period. It has nothing to do with the value or type of the car. It has to do with being responsible and considerate and ethical and legal and not-a-total-douchebag.
Captures my feelings exactly. This is utterly unacceptable. I would make noise over this. You leave your vehicle in their hands with the understanding that they'll treat it with a reasonable level of care. The result here is precisely the opposite. Give the dealer a chance to at least propose something, but don't be afraid to let Scion know. Ultimately, they need to.

I would be truly, truly pissed, regardless of whether it were a car or a shovel that got mistreated in this way.
bestwheelbase (11-08-2012), shotizzle (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #100
Aetyrno

Drives: 98 Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
I just read through 5 pages and there's no video link? :/
You missed where it was suggested more than once that he not post the video yet.

Patience, grasshopper!
Aetyrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #101
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
All this speculation. It will be nice to know what comes of this situation.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #102
TwinRz

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
So has anyone mentioned where the dash-cam was?

how about you stop being lazy and read the thread like the rest of us.
TwinRz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TwinRz For This Useful Post:
mkiisupra (11-08-2012), SupraLove (11-08-2012), Tanuki (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #103
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Econo? Maybe, box? Hell no.
I'm just saying it's a cheapass car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
It matters not. It is wrong to mistreat a customer car, period. It has nothing to do with the value or type of the car. It has to do with being responsible and considerate and ethical and legal and not-a-total-douchebag.
So you are saying it's ILLEGAL to redline someones car? Redline...which means revving the motor to the manufacturers safely defined limit?

Clutch dumping, drifting, burnouts...all things I can understand being relatively upset about. But redlining? You guys need to get out and enjoy your cars more and stop worrying about stupid BS. Did anything break? No. Did any CELs come on? No.

Say you have a computer with a noisy CPU fan. Say you are computer-retarded so you take it to Best Buy and have them fix it. The geek replaces your CPU fan, then plays a few rounds of a FPS and maxxes out the CPU for 15 minutes. You check the event log and see this. Do you freak out? Could he have simply replaced the fan, booted it up and said "you're done!". Or does it matter that he put some load on the CPU, heated things up again, then verified that the fan didn't get noisy again?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #104
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinRz View Post
how about you stop being lazy and read the thread like the rest of us.
Wait so where was the camera at?
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #105
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
Say you have a computer with a noisy CPU fan. Say you are computer-retarded so you take it to Best Buy and have them fix it. The geek replaces your CPU fan, then plays a few rounds of a FPS and maxxes out the CPU for 15 minutes. You check the event log and see this. Do you freak out? Could he have simply replaced the fan, booted it up and said "you're done!". Or does it matter that he put some load on the CPU, heated things up again, then verified that the fan didn't get noisy again?
The example should be more like:

"P" key on your laptop breaks. You take it to Best Buy and have them fix it. The geek replaces your "P" key, then plays a few hours of game on your laptop.

Anyways, if you think what that tech did (redlining the engine and chirping the tires from stop) is "right" or "okay", then good for you. But obviously, people posting on this thread think it wasn't a right thing to do. There is no reason why you should change those people's opinion on this thread.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #106
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yeah dont really understand the chorus of people stating to not post the video. In most situations making something like this public only helps your cause. You dont lose leverage by making it public. If anything they will want to make themselves look better by taking care of the problem
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #107
FRSPirate

Drives: 13 Scion FRS Raven M/T, 05 Raven R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
You guys are all forgetting something huge. You need to know what the video recording laws are in your state.

Just because you captured this, doesn't mean he consented to being on video. Talk to a lawyer to understand what the actual law is in your state.
It's only illegal to videotape on private property. Since most of the dealership is open to the public privacy laws would be questioned and even then, anything that happened on the road once he left the dealership is public and the cameras purpose was not to infringe on privacy rather record what/where from what is essentially the drivers perspective. "Wiretapping laws" will come in question to any dialogue recorded but you can just remove those parts if there is a "wiretapping law" in NV which there is:
http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...ance-laws.aspx

Not sure if consent is needed when you are inside you own property, recording what is happening inside your own property.

Everyone needs to stop asking him to post the video as well. First thing a lawyer will tell you if it becomes a legal issue is to not mention or leak out ANY case specifics. There could be some legal aspects (like infringing on electronic surveillance laws) that could negatively affect your case.

05 Raven R6
13 Raven FRS M/T
FRSPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #108
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
You can't serve a party to a complaint when you are also a party to the same complaint...

But you can ride along for a good laugh while your large MMA-enhanced friend hands it over.
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #109
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
I would be upset if the fuel pump was replaced and the car wasn't redlined several times. I'd rather have a bad replacement pump kill the engine while the dealership had the car than while I was driving. Makes a new engine much less of a hassle.

7 miles could be 3.5mi out and back. Seems like a reasonable amount of testing to me.

If something came back broken, like the Camaro with transmission problems, then yes it is major smackdown time. Otherwise, I don't think that is a reasonable comparison.

That's me, though. Seems like a lot of people here are afraid of redline and chirping tires for some reason, so it is what it is.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #110
b.e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava, 2007 Tundra
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Seven miles in 15 minutes averages to less than 30 MPH. You'll have a tough time convincing anyone that it was hot rodding.

Instead, just send the service manager a friendly email thanking him for his prompt service for the TSB and getting your car back to you quickly and in fine shape, and mention that if he's curious how his techs perform on the road tests you noticed that your dashcam was on and you'd be happy to get the video to him. That way, if there really was something hinky going on, you're now his friend and he'll have your back (provided he's not an innate jerk). Really, if there was an "oh, crap!" moment there, you want him to have that moment without already being defensive.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #111
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipler View Post
I would be upset if the fuel pump was replaced and the car wasn't redlined several times. I'd rather have a bad replacement pump kill the engine while the dealership had the car than while I was driving. Makes a new engine much less of a hassle.

7 miles could be 3.5mi out and back. Seems like a reasonable amount of testing to me.

If something came back broken, like the Camaro with transmission problems, then yes it is major smackdown time. Otherwise, I don't think that is a reasonable comparison.

That's me, though. Seems like a lot of people here are afraid of redline and chirping tires for some reason, so it is what it is.
hey, another sensible person.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #112
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think I the last time I gave my keys to someone they ask how high they could rev it. I replied with "Until it stops."

However you can drive a car up to redline in a fashion that doesn't include hard shifting and chirping the tires (although I can't see any damage being done with a couple of those).

What I'd probably do is put the video on an tablet or laptop and take it in and show it to the manager and see what it means to them and then closely judge the look on their face as they view it (this will help identify guilt or wrong doing). Or I would just ask to talk to whatever service person did the test drive and show them the video and them have them explain themselves.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about damage from reading the description of the actions but their behavior in your vehicle seems irresponsible and unbecoming of dealer policies. As I tell people who stiff their waiter when they have bad service... "Don't just stiff the waiter, tell the manager, otherwise they may never know what they did wrong."

Close the laptop, log off, go back to the dealer with the video and chat with the manager. Then report back.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
JTM (11-09-2012)