follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What about this $300-$600 "documentation" fee they are adding on, is that part of the "pure price"? I'd say adminstration cost should be covered under MSRP and not added on top to make more from MSRP, no?
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
thats not how car dealers work. most states regulate doc fees and they are set or capped.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Drives: BRZ Premium 6MT (SWP)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
What about this $300-$600 "documentation" fee they are adding on, is that part of the "pure price"? I'd say adminstration cost should be covered under MSRP and not added on top to make more from MSRP, no?
Doc fees are regulated at a state level, if at all. California, for example, has a 55USD cap on theirs (I believe). Some states do not regulate and they can be set at the dealer's discretion.
Symbiont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
xravexboix

Drives: 12 Camry Hybrid on 19" RE30
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
So, I just got off the phone with the dealership which had me '#1 on the waiting list' for the first production FR-S delivered. After they realized just how popular it was going to be, the manager (Greg) wants to add lowering kits and upgraded stereos to the cars before they leave the lot.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not interested in these mods (I prefer doing things myself), and I had a verbal agreement with a salesman there about a specific car, which is due to arrive at the port on Monday. At this point, I'm not sure what recourse I have. Any suggestions or insights on how I should handle this? Awaiting a call back from the manager in 30 minutes or so.
Pure Pricing translates into the "advertised/posted price is what you pay", aka no haggle/no hassle pricing.

They shouldn't be putting all this stuff on since you ordered the car and YOU have the option to choose to have these or not have these. It's especially funny since TRD won't have springs out til the end of this year... and changing the wheels to a cheap, heavy wheel will degrade the car's performance...

Tell him to either get you the stock vehicle to your build or look elsewhere. It's good to be #1 on the list, but not if you're being pushed into a bunch of stuff you don't want.

Shoot over an e-mail to me if you need some more info on how you can handle this.

This is what gives all dealers a bad name. There are a few of us that aren't doing all that
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
thats not how car dealers work. most states regulate doc fees and they are set or capped.
Thats great for the states but up here in Canada it ranges from $300-$600, my dealer is adding $395 for documentation.

Any other Canadians get a final price with breakdown?
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone willing to walk out over an unreasonably high doc fee?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
K2
First 8600

Drives: Darth Raven
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, the manager had the dealer call me back and explain that there was 'a misunderstanding',
The misunderstanding was probably that those (TRD) items aren't supposed to be available till Fall 2012, unless they were going to stick you with unknown parts and pull some "not OEM, no warrantee" crap. Or not put them on at all. Ya gotta watch 'em like a hawk.
K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #22
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Drives: BRZ Premium 6MT (SWP)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xravexboix View Post
Pure Pricing translates into the "advertised/posted price is what you pay", aka no haggle/no hassle pricing.

They shouldn't be putting all this stuff on since you ordered the car and YOU have the option to choose to have these or not have these. It's especially funny since TRD won't have springs out til the end of this year... and changing the wheels to a cheap, heavy wheel will degrade the car's performance...

Tell him to either get you the stock vehicle to your build or look elsewhere. It's good to be #1 on the list, but not if you're being pushed into a bunch of stuff you don't want.

Shoot over an e-mail to me if you need some more info on how you can handle this.

This is what gives all dealers a bad name. There are a few of us that aren't doing all that
Much appreciated, I'll do exactly that.

Honestly, I've had a few bad experiences with dealerships in the past. It's almost like finding a decent doctor. Once you find one you trust, you feel uncomfortable going elsewhere. Finding one you trust in the first place isn't easy, however.
Symbiont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #23
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Much appreciated, I'll do exactly that.

Honestly, I've had a few bad experiences with dealerships in the past. It's almost like finding a decent doctor. Once you find one you trust, you feel uncomfortable going elsewhere. Finding one you trust in the first place isn't easy, however.
I know there's a few decent salesmen on here whose feelings get hurt when we start badmouthing dealerships, but I'm sorry... finding a decent salesman at a decent dealership in America is like winning the freakin' lottery. Sure, it can and does happen... but the smart money's on NOT buying that new house till after the Saturday-night drawing, if you know what I mean.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
I know there's a few decent salesmen on here whose feelings get hurt when we start badmouthing dealerships, but I'm sorry... finding a decent salesman at a decent dealership in America is like winning the freakin' lottery. Sure, it can and does happen... but the smart money's on NOT buying that new house till after the Saturday-night drawing, if you know what I mean.
Come to my dealership! We have 8 awesome salesmen! You'll have to buy a Porsche or Audi, though Our finance manager is a jerk though; I won't lie. Soon as he's gone, we'll have some serious integrity at this dealership! One of our sales reps is the father of Bill Bellamy of MTV Jams and MTV Beach House fame

Damn pre-owned Caymans keep tempting me...

Anyways, I agree for the most part. I actually had a really great experience at a Dodge dealership recently, when my mother and I went to look at a pre-owned Camry. The guy was really great, and the dealership took care of all the little issues that popped up with the car after the sale. We did have to fish through about 3 or 4 crappy dealers with crappy salesmen and crappy Camrys before finding the good one.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.

Last edited by Turbowned; 05-12-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Come to my dealership! We have 8 awesome salesmen! You'll have to buy a Porsche or Audi, though

Damn pre-owned Caymans keep tempting me...
LOL... Cayman's a fantastic car. Honestly, the only Porsche I'd own these days.

Strangely enough, the absolute best salesman I ever met worked at a Porsche/ Jaguar/ Mercedes dealership in Kansas City. The man was honest, not at all pushy, and didn't judge customers by their looks. He admitted when he didn't know something, and would take the effort to find out when he needed to. In short, he was what I expect every car salesman to be, and I've never met another like him.

I went on to buy four cars over the course of several years from that man, and was responsible for one other sale too.

So, to all you stealerships out there... what's the moral of this story?!
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
Thats great for the states but up here in Canada it ranges from $300-$600, my dealer is adding $395 for documentation.

Any other Canadians get a final price with breakdown?
It's on my bill of sale as well, BUT now that Scion.ca has an updated build and price, it does appear that the Admin fees are clearly included in the MSRP.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote