follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
aspera

Drives: SW20 MR2, bugeye WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lexus IS-F parts wish list

Right now there is lots of uncertainty concerning what parts will be used. The rumor is that a Lexus rear diff will be used. If so, which one? The Lexus IS comes with two different sized diffs. The top of the line one gets a Torsen LSD.

Unless Subaru has stuffed the Lexus diff in their rear suspension, a Lexus suspension would seem to be a natural choice. The Lexus IS-F gets aluminum suspension uprights front and rear. Yay! Aluminum!

I haven't heard anything about the front suspension yet. Will it be a continuation of Subaru struts, Lexus-like SLA struts, or some sort of Toyota SuperStrut/REVO strut?
aspera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
scape

Drives: yaris
something tells me having this many lexus parts may not happen; wouldn't that lower the integrity of the is-f in some way?
i would say aluminum uprights does sound like a good choice for keeping weight down; and that extraspecial LSD might end up in a upper end ft model; as well someone on here mentioned the lexus diff was making it to this car (maybe the less advanced one that you wrote about). but i am almost positive lexus struts would never make it to this ~$22-25k car.

what struts made it into their other sports cars in the past? that may hold a clue..as of now, some toyotas are on KYB's i believe

btw: LFA is on their main lexus website now, that's unbelievable to me. right out of the gates and already showing up on their website; fast turn-around i'd say.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
xravexboix

Drives: 12 Camry Hybrid on 19" RE30
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
I doubt that the Lexus suspension components will be used. The diff. sounds feasible, but that's likely it. If Toyota is designing this as an entry level vehicle with the price point being at $20,000., it will likely have recycled/slightly modified components from existing Toyota/Subbie vehicles. The price restriction is the biggest challenge for the design/engineering team... "Make it [THIS GOOD] but you only have [this much] to spend".

If this vehicle serves its purpose (relatively mass market entry level sports), I'm sure we'll see a few more models/options in the future. I'm personally waiting for a Supra replacement... the IS-F just isn't that exciting to me.
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
ddoouugg
Advanced Member

Drives: RSX
This car will need a lsd but it won't have one because it is a $25000 car. The good news is that since it's rwd it shouldn't be too hard to take apart the rear end and install one yourself.
ddoouugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoouugg View Post
This car will need a lsd but it won't have one because it is a $25000 car. The good news is that since it's rwd it shouldn't be too hard to take apart the rear end and install one yourself.
The Civic Si costs around 21-22k and comes with an LSD stock. If Toyota really wanted to, they could include it. Or make it a cost-option, like Dodge did with the SRT-4 (the Neon one, not the current rolling monstrosity).
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Wyllliam

Drives: Toyota GT86
Garage
Im sorry to say but Toyota is not in charge of the design, Subaru is.
Toyota is only going to modify the exteriour and interiour look to make it look like a Toyota.
Wyllliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllliam View Post
Toyota is only going to modify the exteriour and interiour look to make it look like a Toyota.
Hi Mr.Tada-san, nice of you to join us.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllliam View Post
New to the concept aren't we?
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
New to the concept aren't we?
lol
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
chrisssteeven

Drives: chrisssteeven
I really think that modification will be excellent in GT5. The Zele front bumper on the Skyline Coupe Tuned and visual brake upgrades and carbon hood hints at an amazing feature.Also the wheels look amazing, the Volks on the Clio look amazing.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
bpeterson

Drives: cool
wowow!

Last edited by bpeterson; 04-29-2011 at 03:37 AM.
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
andreasue

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspera View Post
Right now there is lots of uncertainty concerning what parts will be used. The rumor is that a Lexus rear diff will be used. If so, which one? The Lexus IS comes with two different sized diffs. The top of the line one gets a Torsen LSD.

Unless Subaru has stuffed the Lexus diff in their rear suspension, a Lexus suspension would seem to be a natural choice. The Lexus IS-F gets aluminum suspension uprights front and rear. Yay! Aluminum!

I haven't heard anything about the front suspension yet. Will it be a continuation of Subaru struts, Lexus-like SLA struts, or some sort of Toyota SuperStrut/REVO strut?
Even if lexus goes aluminum for me the cons and pro of this vehicle should be considered. For the pros it has a high-quality interior, raucous V8 power, sports-car handling, quiet cabin. For the cons it has unforgiving poor suspension, no manual transmission option, boy-racer exterior styling, common wheel hub assembly problem, and cramped rear seat.

Last edited by andreasue; 04-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
andreasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
hallpearl

Drives: Toyota 86
the poor suspension was caused by the wheel hub assembly. you are right its not that really popular because it has no manual transmission option. it's really a boring car.
hallpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Expect to see an Nissan R200 diff, or maybe an R180 if the car ends up being a torqueless wonder. I say this because the wrx has used an R160 diff since forever, and likewise with the R180 in the STi. The R180 would be a bit weak in a rwd setup, but an R200 will fit the existing Impreza rear subframe with minimal changes. Before you all go crying about Toyota this and that, Bear in mind that the R200 was the stock differential on the s13, s14, s15 and n/a 300zx so there are a wealth of aftermarket LSDs and many gearing options already available for it.

Quote:
For suspension geometry reasons the lexus uprights are very unlikely, not to mention that the IS has an SLA (since we're being fancy) front suspension, and this car will have struts. Aluminum-wise though, it's entirely possible that this car will get the aluminum control arms of the STi.

Quote:
Macpherson strut front, multi-link rear. Revoknuckles are pointless on a rwd car.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote