follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frivo View Post
I love this car but she keeps breakin my heart. (And my wallet).

I lost my first motor last year and opted to swap in a used low km fa20, the cheapest option at the time, which has now died (likely cause I was dumb enough to do the valve spring recall).
What was the cause of the first engine, and how did you get the recall done on a swapped engine?

Quote:
The first time around I had considered doing an ls swap and I'm back to that or another motor as there is no way in hell another fa20 is going in it.
Is the car a daily driver? Have you ever dealt with the aftermath of a complicated swap? You definitely don't want to go with the cheapest shop for a job like this.

Quote:
Question is: are there any other motors that are easier to install canbus wise or cheaper overall? I admit the project is bigger than what I can tackle in my driveway and I have been quoted 18 to 25k depending on ls and transmission I go with by the local LS swap guru.
Anything that the stock ECU can't run is going to be about the same amount of pain to get all the electronics working right. Going with an ecu/wiring solution that includes ready to use firmware will make it easier (like the pure automotive ecu/harness kits for 2JZ, LS or K24).

That price sounds dangerously low in Canadian dollars, it should be more like $30k US for a turn key swap like this with everything working. What are they using to get all the electronics working? Have they done a swap into this chassis yet, or assuming it'll be like throwing one in an older car?

A pure automotive motec with harness and the proper firmware for the swap is like $8k cdn alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #16
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
What was the cause of the first engine, and how did you get the recall done on a swapped engine?
Good question! But, I am afraid, there will not be an answer.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:27 AM   #17
Merc

Drives: Subaru brz 2013 LS1 swap
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do an ls swap only if you want to keep the car and If you can do it yourself. It's really not that hard and will run about 10k. Not worth paying a shop that much. That was my experience with an ls1 and trans out of an 04 gto. I am currently selling mine for about 25k obo. I was in the same boat as yourself first motor blew but I didn't trust putting another fu in the a-20 so I went swap. Car is amazing with more power. Sell your car and buy mine then throw another 5k at it for a turbo or pro charge setup and be rolling in a 600hp+ brz for under 30k.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Do an ls swap only if you want to keep the car and If you can do it yourself. It's really not that hard and will run about 10k. Not worth paying a shop that much. That was my experience with an ls1 and trans out of an 04 gto. I am currently selling mine for about 25k obo. I was in the same boat as yourself first motor blew but I didn't trust putting another fu in the a-20 so I went swap. Car is amazing with more power. Sell your car and buy mine then throw another 5k at it for a turbo or pro charge setup and be rolling in a 600hp+ brz for under 30k.

There's no way you're doing it for $10k complete with everything working...
Old 08-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #19
Merc

Only thing left for mine is the ac and spitsnaugle just did it for less then a grand. There are several people who have documented the cost closely including wutsaiu and come in around 10k. Yes you can spend more but if you are smart do a little research on this very forum it can be done for about 10k. I am not a rich guy and have a family so I was very cognizant with regards to cost. I did not add up an exact dollar amount but I had to borrow 5k to get the engine trans etc. After that I kept a budget of 5k more max. I did not exceed that budget my proof of that is the fact that my wife and I share a bank account and I am still alive. In all seriousness i understand your skepticism and others who have not done it yet but it can be done for about 10k. I have not included any sell back items like old engine etc either. I do tell the original poster however it is not practical in my opinion unless you are able to do all the work yourself. I only outsourced the drive shaft and did all other work including wiring. I think that is the one that scares a lot of people and makes them go expensive computer and or wiring loom. I do not mean for this to sound confrontational in any way just want to let people know it is possible for about 10k. Would I have spent more if I could of, absolutely and most will but not because they had too.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #20
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Only thing left for mine is the ac and spitsnaugle just did it for less then a grand......
So you have Cruise control, traction, ABS, full oem dash?

what ECU solution are you using?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #21
Merc

To be fair I dont have cruise control and I do have a constant check engine light. I'm using a can bus translator from geralds projects, he's on here somewhere i believe it was $300. I do have all other things like tach speedo etc coolant gauge though I did install a second gauge in air vent that reads more accurately. Built my own canbus device based off of watsuai's budget 10k build but geralds had somemore features and will work with the ac and cruise control later if I install it. Check engine light is from ls1 ecu reading an issue with the check engine light itself ironically enough, might be a ground issue. I didn't do the cruise control because of how bulky the gto cable driven system is for an ls1 and the driving I do with the car. No highway commute back road fun. I'm sure it could be done for the cable system though but probably not worth it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #22
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
So you have Cruise control, traction, ABS, full oem dash?

what ECU solution are you using?

Honestly, after everything that I sell, I'll most likely be in it for under 10k.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #23
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
2nd fa20 gone, other options?

Yea no I understand. I have all the bells and wisthles as far as OEM stuff working most expensive ECU etc... and after selling my stuff I ended up a bit above 10k...

But it is important to make the distinction between “most things work” or most things work and I needed X and Y turnaround compared to everything works like OEM 100%. The price goes exponentially up on the last one.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
GrabTheWheel (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #24
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I also went above and beyond with my build. I have a fully built 5.7 Liter with fully integrated emtron and sikky mounts Also have a fully build t56 and a mantic twin disk. I should tally up what I've spent so far. I'm usually really good at finding deals though.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to all4spl For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #25
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
A friend priced out a turn key LS3 swap through pure automotive in the states and got a quote for 30k CAD.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote