follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #85
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Last time we discussed this, I think it was said that a major contributor to carbon buildup is the PCV gunk sticking to the valves. Using a PCV catch can or filter system or dry sump system supposedly helps a lot.

That makes sense, since soot from gasoline should be worse inside the cylinder, so the soot on the valves would be from something else.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #86
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
there are graphs out showing the Port Injection is only active below 3000 RPM, I'm not sure but I ASSume the DI is still in use in a small quantity to help achieve combustion chamber cooling (it is 12.5 to one after all and hi load, low rpm, small cam means Detonation on pump gas)

There are issues with DI and fuel atomization at low intake velocities, this solution takes care of both issues, Audi and the likes have built complex multi-runner setups and diverter doors to create enough velocity to address the issue, port inj. works well at Low RPM, and removes the carbon from the PCV by passed oil.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #87
xelmiradorx

Drives: Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
I just hope I can flash a proper port injected map onto the ecu, or that will be going into the bin also.

Thanks Toyota. Next time stick to the clay modeling and leave the engineering to the experts.

lol i feel u talking shit without even knowing.... look idk much about direct injections to like talk about it... but what makes you think that Toyota engineers are not pros? Toyota is one of the largest car companies world wide.... they had their reasons why they used their direct injections... without them we wouldnt even have this car at all.... besides they needed to put something from them in the market and like someone already mention i think it makes gas consumption better.
xelmiradorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #88
Kiwi

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here are some more information regarding this matter about DI & Catchcans.
DI has been used in the GTI's engine and carbon deposits has been a well known issue among the owners.

Here it shows the amount of build up that can happen with DI. The owner disassembles the intake manifold to manually clean the valves.Take note of the how the valves look like after cleaning.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103885

In this thread is the same car again but this time a VTA (vent to atmosphere) catchcan has been installed since he cleaned the valves. So everything from the PCV system is vented outside. Despite this, carbon deposits on the valves are still present.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148048

Now I'm not here to say that catchcan's are totally useless in preventing carbon deposits, but maybe there are other reasons causing the deposits rather than the PCV system.
Personally I believe the inclusion of direct and port injectors in the Toyota system is ingenious. Even if the port injectors aren't always being used but it should still be quite effective at help reducing or preventing carbon buildup.
IIRC Toyota's patent on this dual injector system recently expired. So for the newer generation of Volkswagen engines being introduced now, they also has port and direct injectors. I think this means that Volkswagen also realizes the benefits of this system over the normal DI.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #89
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Technical information here
Once again showing you how the Japanese improve upon others' engineering.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #90
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Considering these cars have yet to really hit the big tuners, I think it might be a little premature to declare what the ECU can and can't do with the system.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
86 forum, 86 forums, brz forum, brz forums, fr-s forum, fr-s forums, frs forum, frs forums, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, toyota 86 forum, toyota 86 forums