follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #85
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The reason everyone is quick to criticize these threads is because there are a lot of them. These threads all spawn from 3rd party websites with no facts. It's pure speculation. I think the community just needs something more concrete.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #86
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Dunno, ask that guy. People were just pointing put that he was inferring a whole lot from some pics.
My comment is directed towards everyone. (On other threads as well.)

We're all car enthusiasts here. We can disagreed with someone's point of view without being rude, thats all I'm trying to say.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
JoeHK (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #87
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Heres another article / link.

Quote:
Toyota plans new lightweight, track-focused GT86

Special GT86 planned for next year, and will come with extensive carbonfibre bodywork as well as revised handling

Toyota engineers will be hoping to cut down on the GT86's kerb weight with this lightweight prototype

Toyota looks set to introduce a lightweight, track-focused special edition of its GT86 sports car next year.

This prototype model, spotted performance testing at the Nürburgring, features what looks to be a carbonfibre bonnet with dual air intakes, as well as a new roof and boot lid which holds a large rear spoiler. New air ducts can also be seen on the bonnet, likely to aid cooling to the GT86's 2.0-litre flat-four engine. The current car has a kerb weight of 1275kg in manual form.

These aerodynamic upgrades aren't likely to make much difference to the car's performance, meaning its 0-62mph time of 7.6 seconds and 140mph top speed are likely to remain unchanged. N upgrades to the car's engine are expected, either, meaning the same 197bhp and 151lb ft outputs will be offered, as well as the same options of a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Toyota will likely tune the car's suspension and dynamics for sharper handling on the track.

Some reports have cited Toyota engineer Tetsuya Tada as saying a facelifted version of the GT86 could make use of a larger, more powerful boxer engine in the future, which could come with an improved intake system and performance exhaust setup, as well as a modified final drive ratio.

The GT86 has recently been updated for the 2015 model year, and now comes with more rigid front suspension and new rear shock absorbers, which are claimed to provide better handling. The interior has also been upgraded, and now features carbonfibre trim.

Beyond next year, Toyota will start work on a new sports car developed in conjunction with BMW. Planned as a two-seater, the project will sire a Z4 replacement for BMW, and a successor to the Supra for Toyota. That car has already been hinted at with the FT-1 concept car seen at the Detroit motor show earlier this year.

Toyota could well introduce this lightweight model as a limited-run special edition, with a price tag of well above the current top-spec GT86's £33,110 to match.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/sc...k-focused-gt86
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #88
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Same speculation, different site.

ETA: They already have the TRD Griffon, why re-do the work? And there already is a bare-bones stripped model sold in Japan, the 86 Racing.

ETA again: Been looking for the ORIGINAL of that article. It's all over the place with no original attribution. Shows the power of the www and speculation and rumor. I was drinking Gin with Tada the other day and he told me, for sure, that the second gen FR-S is going to be a scaled-down LFA. He didn't tell me how they were going to trim 300K off the price, though.

ETA yet again: The real funny thing about all this is it's the same f-ing car! You have people trading brand new 13's on Mongrams, and Monogram owners trying to decide if they should trade on a 15. Comical, and marketing genius. Bet the current car is gone from the 16 lineup altogether.

Last edited by Tromatic; 06-24-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #89
Guillaume

Drives: Exige S 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
You live there, you tell us.
Seems to me I just did in the post you're quoting. They have as many of those plates as they want. How many? Enough.

Quote:
I am becoming envious of your ability to claim this as fact all from a few pics.
Unless you're blind, you have the same amazing ability: sight.

Quote:
Your other link is nothing but speculation as well.
Yes and? Did anyone ever pretend otherwise on this thread? I think not.

Quote:
Same speculation, different site.

ETA: They already have the TRD Griffon, why re-do the work? And there already is a bare-bones stripped model sold in Japan, the 86 Racing.
The Griffon's shadow was never seen anywhere near the Nürburgring... Which, it turns out, is used as the ultimate proving ground for OEMs (as in "last on the list", not some cheesy marketing catch phrase). In the late stages of development, fine tuning the chassis and enduring the power train in the real world are done there. You don't do that for a demo car.
Doesn't prove the car is gonna be released for sure, of course. It wouldn't be the first Ring-tested prototype to stay just that. But if it is gonna be released, it will be seen at the Ring first. Even more so if it is a sports car.

Quote:
ETA again: Been looking for the ORIGINAL of that article. It's all over the place with no original attribution. Shows the power of the www and speculation and rumor. I was drinking Gin with Tada the other day and he told me, for sure, that the second gen FR-S is going to be a scaled-down LFA. He didn't tell me how they were going to trim 300K off the price, though.
Here is how this kind of news ends up online: "spy photographers" (most of the time, German teens with too much time on their hand) shoot the prototypes during the industry pool days. More often than not, dull cars like the next econobox from Kia or yet another VW sedan. Then, they sell said photos to news sites like Autoblog or WolrdCarFans and the writers of those sites make the story from what they see. Sometimes with extra comments like "a turbo spool could clearly be heard" or whatever. And no one ever pretends it's anything more than that, speculations and reasonable guesses. These articles are the originals.

How do I know? My brother shot the very first e60 M5 prototypes seen online, back in the days.

Quote:
ETA yet again: The real funny thing about all this is it's the same f-ing car! You have people trading brand new 13's on Mongrams, and Monogram owners trying to decide if they should trade on a 15. Comical, and marketing genius. Bet the current car is gone from the 16 lineup altogether.
Now you're just being judgemental for the kicks of it. I hope it makes you feel strong and smart.

Last edited by Guillaume; 06-25-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #90
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
Yes and? Did anyone ever pretend otherwise on this thread? I think not. .
Did you miss the parts in your own thread where you have been telling us adamantly that the car in the pics is going to be on the dealer lot one of these days? Now you are saying it's just some random photos that mean nothing? Make up your mind.

Quote:
Now you're just being judgemental for the kicks of it. I hope it makes you feel strong and smart.
Very. In addition to the kicks, it's also what I've read on this very same forum.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 AM   #91
Guillaume

Quote:
Did you miss the parts in your own thread where you have been telling us adamantly that the car in the pics is going to be on the dealer lot one of these days? Now you are saying it's just some random photos that mean nothing? Make up your mind.
I most certainly did, please show them to me.

What I did not miss are the parts where I point out hints coherent with older rumors and declarations, while remaining cautious about whether it's gonna lead to an actual car.

Quote:
Coherent with Tada-san's recent declaration and the rumors of a Gazoo-tuned version of the GT86.
Quote:
It is 100% sure it is a Toyota test car. Whether it will ever come out, time will tell. But again, as pointed out in the original article, it tends to corroborate Tada-san's hints about a faster version.
If you've got more poorly constructed criticism based on half-assed reading, please keep'em coming. It never gets old .
Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #92
Guillaume

That's what I thought.

BTW, I work with Japanese folks and that's how we call them. I only met Tada-san once, I wouldn't call us drinking-buddies.

[Edit: now this post seems to be coming out of nowhere because the one I was replying to has been moderated, it seems.]

Last edited by Guillaume; 06-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #93
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Whatever you want, sweet lips! BTW, are you drinking buddies with Mr. Tada? Only pretentious clowns and drinking-buddies call him "Tada-san."
Dude, calm down a bit, you're making this thread such an unnecessary fuss.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
gymratter (06-25-2014), JoeHK (06-25-2014), vh_supra26 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #94
myEFispissed

Drives: '13 Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does this site have no mods?
myEFispissed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to myEFispissed For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-25-2014), gymratter (06-25-2014), vh_supra26 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #95
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
@Guillaume, thanks for this. I dismissed the articles blasted all day on my social media feed as speculation til I read the subtleties you pointed out in this thread. It could be a complete car or a test bed for catalog parts. Either way, you've posted sound insights for our consumption. I see no grounds for the spite and disrespect you're getting (which consist more of emotional backlash than constructive, factual arguments, anyway).

Gazoo has hinted at this since Tokyo Auto Salon earlier this year (Japan's version of SEMA). There are already Gazoo Racing GT86 Nurburgring 24 Hour race cars. Why would Gazoo test different parts, release youtube teasers and pics before Tokyo Auto Salon? Because these are inspired by their race car but not being developed for their already-developed race car (which was never hyped up the way this mild version is). There's enough evidence to infer that Toyota is developing and/or press releasing with intent to sell to the consumer. Toyota's version of the Nurburgring-tested and "spy" photo-hyped BRZ tS parts car.

Teaser before TAS 2014:

Marketing material from *official* Toyota site after TAS 2014: http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/309597

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
I agreed with you. This forum is full of a brunch of immature individuals. Only on this forum; if you go to other Toyota base forums like ClubLexus, SupraForums, or FT1Club people actually treat one another with respect. Its sad, because it didn't use to be like this.

Not everyone has to agreed all the time, but is it too hard to at least respect one another?
Agreed, sadly. This forum was full of respectful members back before and around the time this car came out. But trash posting grows. Among forums I used to visit (forums for the MR2, MR2 Spyder, Celica, club4ag, Supra, and S2K), newcelica.org was the worst. Its anything-goes OT section naturally devolved into a cuss-fest since the early 2000s before trolling was a thing. At least they had a section dedicated to trash talk to keep other sections clean. But trash inevitably leaked to other sections a bit. Difference with ft86club is disrespectful tone exists rampantly throughout all its subforums. It's become the culture here.

Last edited by switchlanez; 06-25-2014 at 02:43 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
akyp (06-25-2014), Fly Guy (06-25-2014), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-25-2014), Guillaume (06-25-2014), gymratter (06-25-2014), JoeHK (06-25-2014), vh_supra26 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 02:52 AM   #96
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A few differences on the car lapping the Ring vs the concept; roll cage for example.
ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:09 AM   #97
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
It's just Gazoo's GRMN 86 Concept.

Gazoo was testing & prepping for 24hrs Nur race... which btw they won.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:13 AM   #98
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Gazoo was testing & prepping for 24hrs Nur race... which btw they won.
These pictures were shot yesterday, after the N24.

Tags
gazoo, nürburgring