follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Swoldier86

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob Question...E85,UEL, Flex Fuel Kit?

I am wanting to make more power this year but not ready to go turbo yet still learning and deciding which route to build my car.

So I was thinking for now I could use e85, Flex Fuels kit, OFT, and UEL Headers.

I only have 1 gas station near me that just recently got flex fuel in it. So I would really want to run a flex fuel kit to be bale to change gases anytime if I need to.

I want UEL which I guess doesn't matter much in this scenario.

My main question is...can I run a flex fuel kit with the OFT and tune it to Stage 2 UEL e85? Or does the flex fuel kit interfere with the OFT?

Thanks for the help.
Swoldier86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
OFT sells a flex fuel kit that would be your best bet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Somerandom18 For This Useful Post:
Swoldier86 (01-25-2018), yelsew (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Open Flash is offering a flex fuel kit that is tuned with the OFT. Looks like you have to buy the kit from their website and then contact Shiv and he will send you the flex fuel tune that you are looking for.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Swoldier86 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Swoldier86

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
Open Flash is offering a flex fuel kit that is tuned with the OFT. Looks like you have to buy the kit from their website and then contact Shiv and he will send you the flex fuel tune that you are looking for.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Do you know anyone who is running the OFT Flex Fuel with the OFT? Curious on how they like it.
Swoldier86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
slowest86

Drives: slow frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoldier86 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Do you know anyone who is running the OFT Flex Fuel with the OFT? Curious on how they like it.
I have it, and I love it. You won't have launch control, or flat foot shift options tho.
slowest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slowest86 For This Useful Post:
trvth (02-05-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
89_Manny

Drives: Firestorm FR-S '13
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowest86 View Post
I have it, and I love it. You won't have launch control, or flat foot shift options tho.

I’ve been debating on going with a flex fuel kit. Noooooob question! Does open flash tablet flex fuel kit also work like the delicious and moto-east flex fuel kits? Essentially I want fuel up on either 91 or e85 and just go with out reflashing my ecu....

Thank you ahead of time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
89_Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You can use any flex fuel kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_Manny View Post
I’ve been debating on going with a flex fuel kit. Noooooob question! Does open flash tablet flex fuel kit also work like the delicious and moto-east flex fuel kits? Essentially I want fuel up on either 91 or e85 and just go with out reflashing my ecu....

Thank you ahead of time!!

I'm using one I made based on Arduino. You'd just have to let Shiv know which one you're using, he'll want to know what the voltage is set for for which level of fuel.

Oh and it has to be going to the evap pin 20 on the ecu.

Total cost for my flex fuel kit was $150 with an edelbrock fuel filter and pnp harness.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
pancake

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I'm using one I made based on Arduino. You'd just have to let Shiv know which one you're using, he'll want to know what the voltage is set for for which level of fuel.

Oh and it has to be going to the evap pin 20 on the ecu.

Total cost for my flex fuel kit was $150 with an edelbrock fuel filter and pnp harness.

Jaden
I am very curious about how you went about making one O.O
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
Jaden
Road-hole

There's threads here about making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I am very curious about how you went about making one O.O
Basically you use a GM flex fuel sensor that outputs 50-150hz based on the level of flex fuel detected and an arduino programmed to take that frequency signal and convert it to a voltage output that the ECU can use along with a FF tune to adjust the fueling and timing for FF.

In my case I also wanted a readout so I used an lcd readout for arduino and an arduino nano.

I was able to find both a FF sensor with fuel lines on ebay and then also a pnp harness so I didn't have to cut any wires for a very good price. Although it's perfectly possible to buy all of the stuff separately.

The pnp harness is like $90 new and the sensor is like $50. You can get the fuel lines and connectors as well. Not sure on the prices off the top of my head.

I bought the arduino nano for less than $10 and the lcd for $6.

I'm more than willing to share the code I have with anyone who wants it.

Also I'd be willing to put something together for you preprogrammed and ready to go for a little more as well. Or I can just prepare the arduino analyzer by itself.

There is some variation in the sensors and for mine I had to tune the calculations in the arduino code a bit to get it to read 100% accurate.

Jaden

I put mine in a location that is different than what most people do in the engine bay because I'm going for a total stealth approach.
When you look in my engine bay, you wouldn't know that it has flex fuel except for one blue and black fitting.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
89_Manny

Drives: Firestorm FR-S '13
Garage
Quote:
Basically you use a GM flex fuel sensor that outputs 50-150hz based on the level of flex fuel detected and an arduino programmed to take that frequency signal and convert it to a voltage output that the ECU can use along with a FF tune to adjust the fueling and timing for FF.

In my case I also wanted a readout so I used an lcd readout for arduino and an arduino nano.

I was able to find both a FF sensor with fuel lines on ebay and then also a pnp harness so I didn't have to cut any wires for a very good price. Although it's perfectly possible to buy all of the stuff separately.

The pnp harness is like $90 new and the sensor is like $50. You can get the fuel lines and connectors as well. Not sure on the prices off the top of my head.

I bought the arduino nano for less than $10 and the lcd for $6.

I'm more than willing to share the code I have with anyone who wants it.

Also I'd be willing to put something together for you preprogrammed and ready to go for a little more as well. Or I can just prepare the arduino analyzer by itself.

There is some variation in the sensors and for mine I had to tune the calculations in the arduino code a bit to get it to read 100% accurate.

Jaden

I put mine in a location that is different than what most people do in the engine bay because I'm going for a total stealth approach.
When you look in my engine bay, you wouldn't know that it has flex fuel except for one blue and black fitting.

I’m interested in the set up...

89_Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Jaden
Road-hole

Here's a vlog break down of my setup for you.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEq5T-8rn3s"]Custom flex fuel for 86 - YouTube[/ame]

Feel free to pm me to let me know what you think.

Jaden
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Chimera (02-16-2018), Teseo (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoldier86 View Post

I'm not running flex fuel, but I am running e85 stage 2 uel tune. It's a noticeable difference over the 93 octane tune, really wakes the car up and makes it pull hard, you won't be disappointed.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Feel free to pm me to let me know what you think.

Jaden
What's with the writing on your intake manifold?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Jaden
Road-hole

It was a used engine out of a wrecked frs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
What's with the writing on your intake manifold?
I spun a rod bearing on my first engine. This engine had been pulled out of a wrecked frs. I got a great deal though. This was two or three years ago and I got both the engine and trans for 3200 with 30K miles on it. So I'm going to build the other engine for mo' powr'....

They had marked on the intake manifold what it was out of to keep track I guess.

:shrug:

Jaden