follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #4299
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiansim View Post
So I have a dilemma. I plan on getting the Jackson Racing kit in a couple of months but I have heard of a break in period with the supercharger. Now, if I were to get this kit, I would not get the carb tune that comes with it because I run different headers/front pipe etc. so I would have to tow my car down to the shop that I can get tuned at. But if it's going to be run hard on the dyno right after being installed, wouldn't that put the supercharger in harm's way without doing the break in period?
How long is the break in period supposed to be?
Would my car be safe to run around town just to get the supercharger up and running a bit before the dyno tune?
Any advice will help! Thanks!
I recommend getting a base map from your tuner, which will allow you to drive around, conservatively, and safely, to break in the supercharger and drive to the dyno.

Alternatively, CSG can provide you with a complete tune and a JRSC, so you don't even need to bother with going to a dyno.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ozone42 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #4300
sebastiansim

Drives: 2015 Crystal Black Silica Brz MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Have you discussed with your shop? They should be able to do a base tune that would be safe for you to putt around in to get the charger broken in.
That makes a lot of sense thanks!
sebastiansim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #4301
sebastiansim

Drives: 2015 Crystal Black Silica Brz MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I recommend getting a base map from your tuner, which will allow you to drive around, conservatively, and safely, to break in the supercharger and drive to the dyno.

Alternatively, CSG can provide you with a complete tune and a JRSC, so you don't even need to bother with going to a dyno.
Thanks for the advice CSG!
sebastiansim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #4302
ozone42

Drives: SSM BRZ Limited
Quoting this message is completely broken... sorry

On #2 Is the bypass valve loud.

yes, it's loud enough. You can hear it very clearly on clutch-in, let off throttle to shift up.

I could hear it when I was light on throttle (until it failed) but I can now hear the replacement very well when I'm light on throttle and am high-ish rpm.
ozone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #4303
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
Absolutely terrifying... hard to tell whether that's an isolated incident with the dude who appears to be running stock except for a JRSC with a delicious tune and flex fuel. Unfortunately hard to tell what the failure rate is. So tempting though, as it's so little money for so much gains.

However, if there's anything that project cars taught me it's that stability and traction control are your best friends and a stock FRS is plenty fast.
I’m one of “that guy” ‘s! I also had/have ace type A 350 header/over pipe and full exhaust. I had no oil related failures. My #2 rod just snapped. Not one bearing in my engine was spun. I was on a c30 with standard pulley and e85. I always thought I’d get knocking and then rebuild the engine. I never dreamed my snapped rod would turn into a weed-eater and rip a hole in the top of the engine with no audible warning signs! I could literally stick my hand in the engine and touch the crank and remains of the #2 rod. My new “built” engine arrives tomorrow. I have been waiting on it since February. I can’t wait to drive my car again. It blew the Tuesday after thanksgiving last year. I couldn’t deal with it until February as I was being trained to fly a new aircraft, and didn’t have a spare moment. ! If you can’t afford to do a built engine, then I wouldn’t do both e85 and a supercharger. If you can’t wait the best part of a year to have someone build you a strong engine, then I wouldn’t do both! I truly feel that it will only end in tears. By the way I was stabilized at 40mph in heavy rain when it blew. I wasn’t pushing it at all. Very gently accelerated to speed then stabilized, then kaboom! Choose wisely!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #4304
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
I’m one of “that guy” ‘s! I also had/have ace type A 350 header/over pipe and full exhaust. I had no oil related failures. My #2 rod just snapped. <SNIP SNIP> If you can’t afford to do a built engine, then I wouldn’t do both e85 and a supercharger. <SNIP SNIP> Choose wisely!
I agree, you need a built motor with the added power. After two years of many track days on the stock JRSC setup on premium gas, this year I upgraded to the high boost pulley and supporting mods (injectors, etc) on 100 octane race gas (E85 is not feasible here) at 320WHP. The engine popped (also connecting rod) after two track days. Earlier in the year, I lost the original engine on a 92 octane tune, also due to broken rod. After loosing two engines, I'm going back to the stock pulley setup.

So, yeah, built engine is the way to go. I spent my extra cash on two used engines (which are not easy to find BTW; not good ones at least).
Old 11-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #4305
Sleepless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
The included bypass valve is an OEM level valve used in a lot of OEM applications. We have used it reliably in all our personal street and race vehicles. Our STU race car used an off the self valve, just like you have in your kits.
It's nice that you tested it and it works for you, but, it doesn't work consistently if some of have had to change to metal valves because the plastic valve melts. Mine lasted about 20 track days.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #4306
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
I agree, you need a built motor with the added power. After two years of many track days on the stock JRSC setup on premium gas, this year I upgraded to the high boost pulley and supporting mods (injectors, etc) on 100 octane race gas (E85 is not feasible here) at 320WHP. The engine popped (also connecting rod) after two track days. Earlier in the year, I lost the original engine on a 92 octane tune, also due to broken rod. After loosing two engines, I'm going back to the stock pulley setup.

So, yeah, built engine is the way to go. I spent my extra cash on two used engines (which are not easy to find BTW; not good ones at least).
Sleepless,

For your engine to expire at that power level and with such quickness, I would say there was a tuning issue. We did many racing events at high power levels on the same, stock engine... No issues. Ran hard in the heat of summer, in a draft. Tuning is a very important component here.

To clarify, I am not saying this engine can make 500hp on the stock engine and survive. I am not a 90's Import magazine. But the FA20 can take what we prescribe for the stock engine when applied/tuned correctly.

-Oscar Jr.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackson Racing For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-21-2017), vagthomas (11-26-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #4307
Sleepless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
Sleepless,

For your engine to expire at that power level and with such quickness, I would say there was a tuning issue. We did many racing events at high power levels on the same, stock engine... No issues. Ran hard in the heat of summer, in a draft. Tuning is a very important component here.
Two tunes from two highly respected tuners on two different octane levels...
Old 11-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #4308
Brzxton

Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz
Might be a dumb question, but has anyone swapped out the intercooler on their jrsc? Was looking into getting the mishimoto intercooler and wanted to know if anyone had already done it or if it woukd even work.
Brzxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #4309
ExpertZero

Drives: FR-S 2015 Halo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzxton View Post
Might be a dumb question, but has anyone swapped out the intercooler on their jrsc? Was looking into getting the mishimoto intercooler and wanted to know if anyone had already done it or if it woukd even work.
Bypass valve. Couple posts back (last month?) You could use this with the red spring.

RKX VW & Audi 1.8T 2.7T Precision machined Diverter Valve for MK4, B6, B5, C5 1998-2005 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L0F2LD2..._Z8WnqIJluYUr2

Intercooler, my shop is installing an hks intercooler so I'm assuming it works lol. I think many use the jrsc is because it simply works.
ExpertZero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ExpertZero For This Useful Post:
Brzxton (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #4310
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzxton View Post
Why would you downgrade?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
JDMChris (11-27-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #4311
Brzxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Why would you downgrade?
Would i be a downgrade? I was always told the bigger the better when it comes to intercoolers
Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #4312
Brzxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
There is no diaphragm in my replacement valve. It is full metal. See the recent discussion a couple weeks ago in this thread.
You think this atmospheric bov would work?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-part...0aAi0gEALw_wcB
Its made for the same car the other diverter valves were made for, but im not sure how atmospheric vs recirculated will affect it.

Last edited by Brzxton; 11-28-2017 at 02:02 AM.