follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #99
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Actually base FRS and BRZ Premium are Cd=0.29, add the stock wing takes it down to Cd=0.28 (BRZ Limited), and add the underbody panels with the stock wing will achieve Cd=0.27 (Series.Blue).

EE says the same thing about BRZ, but also says that FRS has 0.27
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3rYSKnLKgQ"]Subaru BRZ vs Scion FR-S (Toyota GT86) - 8 Performance Differences - YouTube[/ame]

He might be wrong, but Scion own website says 0.27 and they shouldn't be wrong.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:58 PM   #100
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
EE says the same thing about BRZ, but also says that FRS has 0.27

He might be wrong, but Scion own website says 0.27 and they shouldn't be wrong.
Think about it, why would the Toyota 86 GT Limited in Japan which comes with the underbody covers and rear wing only have Cd=0.27, if the FRS without them can already achieve the same drag coefficient lol!

I'm glad Scion's dead, their rep in Jay Leno's video didn't even know what's a boxer engine.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
mdm (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 AM   #101
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Think about it, why would the Toyota 86 GT Limited in Japan which comes with the underbody covers and rear wing only have Cd=0.27, if the FRS without them can already achieve the same drag coefficient lol

Right, that looked fishy, same as that regular stock FRS and regular stock BRZ would differ by 0.02 only due to the "mustache"
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-11-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #102
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
. . . From a visual/styling/design perspective Toyota was obviously the dominant influence. So people . . . are looking at and appreciating almost 100% Toyota design details when they admire their BRZ's . . .
I agree with much of your explanation about what the two companies contributed to the FT86 cars, but I've got a different opinion about who came up with most of the styling cues. (Full disclosure: I've spent a good deal of time observing my 2014 BRZ in my garage next to the 2016 Legacy that moved in last month. Also have owned 2 other Legacys going back to 2000.)

Of course the BRZ body shape is unlike anything Subaru has done before. It very much resembles the 2000 GT Toyota put out years ago, but you could also judge that it resembles the Datsun "Z" cars of the 1970s or even the classic Porsche 911 going back to the sixties. So let us grant Toyota, who have much more experience with sportscars, authorship of the basic shape.

But the smaller design details are really mostly from Subaru's playbook going back at least ten years (and here I really wish I could liberate some photos from my hard drive to this thread, but I haven't found the magic word yet.) Anyway, the hexagon grille, the dart-shaped headlight units, the frameless windows (Subie's unique design for forty years past, though they have abandoned it recently), the fog light pods, the gasket-sealed leading edge of the hood, and others -- all can be found year after year on Subarus, which, being conservative, don't change very much at all.

Granted, cars are looking more and more alike as time goes on, and any visual details on a Subaru can be found on other cars, including Toyota, but when I'm gazing lovingly at my BRZ, I know I'm looking at a Subaru, even though under the hood lurks the name of Toyota on the engine badge in honor of the fuel injection system.

So, many happy miles to you in your twin, and to me in mine; we do drive one of the most noticed cars on the road, after all. It lends us a certain celebrity status, doesn't it?

Mr.Impreza (06-25-2016), wbradley (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #103
Jrider

Drives: 2013 Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://blog.perrinperformance.com/br...he-difference/
Jrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #104
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
But the smaller design details are really mostly from Subaru's playbook going back at least ten years (and here I really wish I could liberate some photos from my hard drive to this thread, but I haven't found the magic word yet.) Anyway, the hexagon grille, the dart-shaped headlight units, the frameless windows (Subie's unique design for forty years past, though they have abandoned it recently), the fog light pods, the gasket-sealed leading edge of the hood, and others -- all can be found year after year on Subarus, which, being conservative, don't change very much at all.
Actually I would argue those small design details are very much classic Toyota sports car formula from yesteryears. You just got to look back to the 80's and 90's.

If it were totally upto Subaru it might end up being some very quirky design like an Alcyone lol!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-27-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #105
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
The FRS has projectors already. And if it came from the dealer with options installed then they are covered by insurance because that's how it was when you bought it. I think thus only applies to new cars. Save your receipt from the dealer in case they try to say you added it later
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Trim levels hold value better than options. They also hold value better than adding the things you wanted yourself.

When I made my decision I considered the BRZ a higher trim level than the FRS, not a subaru vs toyota thing.

Also consider if you add on the things you want it may not be covered by insurance. For heated seats it won't matter but one of the reasons I wanted the BRZ was for the headlights. I just had a comprehensive claim and the insurance had to pay $800 for a replacement headlight (one headlight).

Try to consider all angles when you make your purchase. Be realistic with what you plan to do to the car. In this example if you plan on retrofitting your FRS headlights with projectors anyway, might as well just get a BRZ to start.
@Ashikabi D2S hid projectors are nothing like the FR-S halogen projectors with an hid bulb added , they project a beam pattern thats actually legal and has no glare
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #106
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
@Ashikabi D2S hid projectors are nothing like the FR-S halogen projectors with an hid bulb added , they project a beam pattern thats actually legal and has no glare
Actually in pretty sure they are very much like the halogen projectors. They do the same job with a slightly more desirable light pattern/brightness
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #107
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Actually in pretty sure they are very much like the halogen projectors. They do the same job with a slightly more desirable light pattern/brightness

No they aren't, I've done a retrofit before and am looking to do them to my winjets. The focal points are different in the lenses they use, and also the reflector portion is much larger. The top is the halogen in an FR-S projector and the bottom is a D2s retrofit:

Notice no extra glare on the d2s bulb like the top has, also the cutoff lines are much sharper. With a retrofit whether it be mini-h1 or D2S you are actually lighting the road properly and not glaring other drivers or adjusting the headlights low enough that they can't see further down the road. Once you've used them you can tell a noticeable difference
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 07-04-2016, 01:39 AM   #108
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
No they aren't, I've done a retrofit before and am looking to do them to my winjets. The focal points are different in the lenses they use, and also the reflector portion is much larger. The top is the halogen in an FR-S projector and the bottom is a D2s retrofit:

Notice no extra glare on the d2s bulb like the top has, also the cutoff lines are much sharper. With a retrofit whether it be mini-h1 or D2S you are actually lighting the road properly and not glaring other drivers or adjusting the headlights low enough that they can't see further down the road. Once you've used them you can tell a noticeable difference
Just because you can tell the difference doesn't mean they are "nothing alike"
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #109
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Just because you can tell the difference doesn't mean they are "nothing alike"
We'll agree to disagree then