follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Pistol Pete

Drives: Focus RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
you are coming across as preaching a religion and apologizing for the lack of power and torque. In this respect, you're only making the situation worse. So it's no wonder you're afraid to make comparisons. What about those who want to take a critical look at the car and it's position in the market place? You should have said, you have nothing to say to them as well. Why shouldn't prospective buyers take a comparative look at what different manufactures offer in this segment of the market? You obviously have nothing to say to people who want to take the considered and rational approach. You want people to be an ostrich like you, with your head firmly buried in the sand.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
And just like your favorite girl, you can spend money and dress her up to your liking! All it takes is a patient 10 year relationship, and understaning what floats her boat, and how you want things to be. A car like this shouldn't be built overnight. Sure, some aftermarket guys are happy to decorate mine in exchange for all the fluffy hits they might have on the net, but eventually with my OWN timeline, things will change and we'll see how many of them are still enthusiastic. As for me, it's a keeper so my mind is a lot more long-sighted than anyone who's in this for a marketing campaign. Passion is what floats my boat.
You talking about dolls or humans? LOL, JK, JK. But yeah, I'm the type that waits for something good and then sticks with it. My Eclipse GSX is 14 years old but I still feel the same about it as the day I first saw one as a child in '97. The FR-S being so unique justifies me keeping the Eclipse. If it had been what I originally thought I wanted (a faster, grippier, modern sports coupe), then I don't think I could have justified keeping the Eclipse. Having two cars seems like a pain but I see that many of you have 2 or more cars! My uncle for example has 6 Jaguars.

So with the Eclipse, FR-S, and the Ninja, my garage will be complete. But I will always be improving them.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
dnL

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
you are coming across as preaching a religion and apologizing for the lack of power and torque. In this respect, you're only making the situation worse. So it's no wonder you're afraid to make comparisons. What about those who want to take a critical look at the car and it's position in the market place? You should have said, you have nothing to say to them as well. Why shouldn't prospective buyers take a comparative look at what different manufactures offer in this segment of the market? You obviously have nothing to say to people who want to take the considered and rational approach. You want people to be an ostrich like you, with your head firmly buried in the sand.
It didn't sound like he was saying to not compare the FR-S to other cars. Sounded more like he was saying that everyone has their own idea of what makes a "good" car and that people should focus more on their own desires and less on others' opinions and that we should all be a happy family of car enthusiasts.
dnL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dnL For This Useful Post:
buzznasa (06-05-2012), Dadhawk (06-04-2012), Fly Guy (06-06-2012), Grateful Dave (06-04-2012), HotLeopardMama (06-04-2012), Lonewolf (06-04-2012), MVJ1975 (06-04-2012), Slartibartfast (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
CoRi J
Xenogear

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome post
CoRi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No no, the responses have made it seem so... I'm not trying to buy the hearts of religions, or start a cult here...

All I am saying is that I am seeing all these comparative articles making hard objective races and stats, and almost sounding like if the FRS was something else, this barely even when the cars are coming out into the public. I just wanted to assure folks that this car has its own attributes besides the benchmark numbers, something intrinsic that justifies the costs of ownership, and a very good set of them, to keep people happy.

It's just a counterpoint to those who only see cars in 0-60 times, and lateral G specs...

Besides, all those things can be had with enough resources and personal plans to change what came out of the factory, as modifications and tire changes, and a million other ways to individualize it. And as such this car also is a great platform for all of this with the elements like ease of access and changes for smaller sub-components, and also the ultra rigid uni-body that's not common to cars of this price range.

So please don't take it with such threats... I don't mean this to be a huge insult to anyone LOOKING at the numbers, to make his choices. I am merely elaborating on other neat attributes of the car.

I don't apologize for the power output, as engineers and product planning gave us exactly the numbers they promised, give or take a few in different test results at times. But that is again, another variable that happens on every car, as no climate, environment, air, and conditions are the same when testing machines in a real world.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-04-2012), Grateful Dave (06-04-2012), Lonewolf (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
You talking about dolls or humans? LOL, JK, JK. But yeah, I'm the type that waits for something good and then sticks with it. My Eclipse GSX is 14 years old but I still feel the same about it as the day I first saw one as a child in '97. The FR-S being so unique justifies me keeping the Eclipse. If it had been what I originally thought I wanted (a faster, grippier, modern sports coupe), then I don't think I could have justified keeping the Eclipse. Having two cars seems like a pain but I see that many of you have 2 or more cars! My uncle for example has 6 Jaguars.

So with the Eclipse, FR-S, and the Ninja, my garage will be complete. But I will always be improving them.

Yes, my other cars right now are Lexus LS430, and Prius, as well as in the past having owned over 23 cars over 26 years since I obtained my driver's license. From BMW M3 to 2002's, multiple AE86's, S13, VW Jetta, to Porsche, Minivans and Big duallie trucks to haul my toys at certain stages of my motorsports career and events organizer. I'm still fascinated by all sorts of cars. And with a broader love and perspective, hard stats just became less important to me, and have never been the only reason to keep it over other elements.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnL View Post
It didn't sound like he was saying to not compare the FR-S to other cars. Sounded more like he was saying that everyone has their own idea of what makes a "good" car and that people should focus more on their own desires and less on others' opinions and that we should all be a happy family of car enthusiasts.
In other words...

Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
LeavingNormal (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You want comparison?
Here comparison!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6776
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Another astounding post brought to you by one of the FT86clubs finest, but the real question is... where did you get those wheels eh?
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exhaust For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
you clearly havent driven this car for what it is, you got into the car with a predetermined prejudice in mind. you fail to understand that this car stands alone because it opens its own market segment, like the iPad when it first came out. Everyone has a notebook/Mustang before and it gets the job done but doesnt ignite passion. Some others have fancy phones/sport cars that push the boundary and draw look but still limited to what it can deliver/cant be a daily driver. Im no fanboy, i dont have an iPad but i have a tablet that is thanks to the iPad was born to first bridge the gap between phone and laptop then later create its own world of use. You think its a compromise thats why you compare it to things/cars that exist before it but its not. Until someone can make a car that with passion and practice a driver can squeeze every ounce of horse power and torque and handling and max them out all at the same time, nothing can be compare to it.

a religion is when everyone worship a single divine/car but this car is making a new culture which people are excited of also what is coming. i have an frs now but 10 years down the road im not gonna bash on the car from Honda that is born from my car, lusting maybe. also a religion/cult will not recognize anything else but as an frs owner i still want a range rover to go offroad, a gtr to track and hell a lambo to flash. those are the cars that are leading in their own worlds, different world than the frs/brz/gt86 world.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
Pistol Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnL View Post
Oh come on and get real.....just look at the title, "To those who keep COMPARING the FRS to ANOTHER CAR on spec".
The Following User Says Thank You to Pistol Pete For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #26
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
you clearly havent driven this car for what it is, you got into the car with a predetermined prejudice in mind. you fail to understand that this car stands alone because it opens its own market segment, like the iPad when it first came out. Everyone has a notebook/Mustang before and it gets the job done but doesnt ignite passion. Some others have fancy phones/sport cars that push the boundary and draw look but still limited to what it can deliver/cant be a daily driver. Im no fanboy, i dont have an iPad but i have a tablet that is thanks to the iPad was born to first bridge the gap between phone and laptop then later create its own world of use. You think its a compromise thats why you compare it to things/cars that exist before it but its not. Until someone can make a car that with passion and practice a driver can squeeze every ounce of horse power and torque and handling and max them out all at the same time, nothing can be compare to it.

a religion is when everyone worship a single divine/car but this car is making a new culture which people are excited of also what is coming. i have an frs now but 10 years down the road im not gonna bash on the car from Honda that is born from my car, lusting maybe. also a religion/cult will not recognize anything else but as an frs owner i still want a range rover to go offroad, a gtr to track and hell a lambo to flash. those are the cars that are leading in their own worlds, different world than the frs/brz/gt86 world.
I love what the FR-S and stands for, but there are tons of cars out there that invoke passion.. I love that people on these boards are passionate and love these cars. You should. But to pretend that no other car invokes this same passion from drivers and owners is rather ridiculous and comes across as arrogant.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (06-05-2012), Pistol Pete (06-05-2012), ZmZMWagon (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
As soon as I heard about this car, before I saw the concept, I wanted it.

Then I saw the concept, and knowing it wouldnt be exactly like the concept, I definitely wanted it.

When I saw the finished product, I had to have it.

And driving it around, I am glad I have it.

Big fan of Toyota, loved the lines on my Celica, and this car is sexy as hell.

The history, the community that has developed around Scion in the US is pretty cool too.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pscylo For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #28
Pistol Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post

All I ask is that you be relevant to the topic. You'll note the title, "To those who keep COMPARING the FRS to ANOTHER CAR on spec". "

I think thill has answered you thoroughly
The Following User Says Thank You to Pistol Pete For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (06-05-2012)