follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #15
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
The new MTO safety rules that everyone is getting butthurt about now explicitly mentions spacers.

Hub adapters, say 5x100 to 5x114.3, may be legal but reads like it is up to the discretion of the safety tech.

Catless headers on this platform are illegal, yes. Many people put them on and pass emissions by bypassing ready sensors. You cannot do the same with spacers.

In the end, as long as you are aware that what you are doing is not street legal, it's up to you on how you decide to proceed. Spacers would just be on the list of a roadside blitz inspection, just like improper HID kit, improper muffler, improper wheel/tire size, wrong coloured fog lights, blacked out tail lights, etc.
Well, thanks for the heads up man! This kind of changes everything now lol

I'm going to think about it, but i might just get a new set of rims in the future than and stay legal.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #16
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Well, thanks for the heads up man! This kind of changes everything now lol

I'm going to think about it, but i might just get a new set of rims in the future than and stay legal.
I read the rules and the Ichiba v2s would be legal because they qualify as an adapter and those are legal as long as they aren't damaged. Regarding running the V2s, the stock wheel hub has indentations so you can run these type of spacers no problem.

Relevant rules copied straight out of the MCO .pdf document:

Quote:
7. Wheel / Rim (General)

Note:

A Spacer is a solid piece of material intended to offset the wheel outboard. It has holes in it through which the studs pass without engaging the spacer.

An Adapter is a spacer that is attached to the hub with fasteners. The wheel is attached to the adapter by nuts on studs mounted in the adapter.

Reject if:

- wheel / rim is damaged, broken, bent, cracked or distorted
- wheel / rim has been welded or repaired in a way that does not meet industry standard
- there is less than 3 mm clearance between butt ends of the lock ring on a multi-piece wheel / rim
- incompatible wheel or component isused on a wheel system
- spacer has been used between any wheel and hub
- adapter is damaged, has damaged fasteners, fasteners of inadequate length, inappropriate material or incorrect grade of stud, nut or bolt
- wheel is installed incorrectly
- there is evidence of damage or deterioration, foreign material, excessive or uncured paint on a hub, drum or wheel-mounting face
Of course, my opinion is get new rims anyway but that is just because I don't like the look of the stockers.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (02-18-2016)